Replacing Battery Terminals

Rich1961

Supporting Member
I need to replace my factory battery terminals, as I found out during my winch install that the negative terminal doesn't tighten around the battery post very tight. Plus the issue of not having solid contact with the battery post. I've searched but not found what I'm looking for, so I thought I'd ask those that have done this upgrade to provide the best way to do this. My question is did you cut the two hole bar from the factory battery terminals, or does bending the tabs back on the bottom of the two hole bar release it to be able to bolt it to the new battery terminal? Or is it better to just cut the cables free and install new cable ends on both the negative and positive cables? I do have a hydraulic crimper and battery lugs.

Reactions: tJKrider and kzinis
I like using this type of cable end and then using solder to hold the cable in.

[/URL]

Then these clamps it's easy to add more cables or wires to them when needed.

[/URL]
So you cut the factory ends off, and soldered the new lugs on the existing factory battery cables. I'll have to check mine to see if there's enough extra cable to do that.

I cut my ends off and crimped on new copper lugs. I also used Vgate terminals. Couldn't be happier with everything.

20230815_171901.jpg

How is the Yellow Top Battery holding up? I've read of issues with the Optima's since production was moved south of the border. I had one years ago in my CJ with no issues.

I bought a Red Top last winter and it only lasted 1 month, bought 2 Red Tops for my Diesel 2.5 years ago and they are still going.