Rear Locker (To Be, or Not to Be)

Nolacenturion

I’ve got a ‘17 Sahara Unlimited. I do not expect do any rock crawling but moderate trails and desert environments are very likely.
Considering the idea of getting rear lockers.
Pros, Cons, and ballpark cost.
I know getting Rubicon would solve the question but I’m not in a position ( yet) to do that and I like my Sahara. Just considering the upgrade. Thanks.

I’ve got a ‘17 Sahara Unlimited. I do not expect do any rock crawling but moderate trails and desert environments are very likely.
Considering the idea of getting rear lockers.
Pros, Cons, and ballpark cost.
I know getting Rubicon would solve the question but I’m not in a position ( yet) to do that and I like my Sahara. Just considering the upgrade. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that if you have a automatic trans you can't have a locker in the rear. It makes the trans go in limp mode.

I assume you already have proper lift, tires, winch etc.?

I’ve never heard about it going into limp mode, the rubicon is an auto? Lockers will change the way you ride, crawling over obstacles you once had to carefully choose a line. I 100% suggest getting them when you’re ready. To me there are no real cons, cost maybe? In this area front and rear install runs about 1100/1200 for labor, and a ARB kit is around the same. Also, it’s a perfect time to re-gear while you’re in there. Of course you will have to do both axles.

I’ve never heard about it going into limp mode, the rubicon is an auto? Lockers will change the way you ride, crawling over obstacles you once had to carefully choose a line. I 100% suggest getting them when you’re ready. To me there are no real cons, cost maybe? In this area front and rear install runs about 1100/1200 for labor, and a ARB kit is around the same. Also, it’s a perfect time to re-gear while you’re in there. Of course you will have to do both axles.

Read this where the reviews are:

You cannot get rear lockers in the rear but you can have them in the front with a Dana 30

• Dislike
Reactions: 1o1Proof
You cannot get rear lockers in the rear but you can have them in the front with a Dana 30
I think there are a few conclusions based on assumptions being made here... The first is the type of locker being assumed. Mechanical or pneumatically/electrically actuated. I was assuming the latter, others, I believe, were thinking of the former.

It would not be a good idea to go with a full mechanical locker in the rear (Detroit locker, etc). You could employ this in the front since that would only come into play when you are in 4wd. This would pair well with your existing LSD in the rear and give you a very competent off road vehicle in my opinion. You could upgrade the rear LSD to something like a Torsen or TrueTrac that would provide improved performance, too

Alternatively you could switch the front and/or rear to a switchable locker (ARB, Eaton, etc). If your doing rear only this is the path to follow if you're spending the cash to change. Front is more personal preference. If you did both front and rear as a switchable style you would be somewhat replicating what is offered on the Rubicon.

I have thought about this on my Sahara (w/rear LSD) and my decision was to wait and see where added capability is required first. It may be that hardware I have is well suited for the terrain I will actually encounter. If not, I can see myself going to a front solution first before touching the rear. Unless, of course, I decide to change gears too... 😂

This makes no sense, if anything the rear (on a JK) is even more capable as it is a “next gen” Dana 44, with the carrier being the difference on a rubicon. We have had TJs and JKs with both styles and no issues.

Edit to say: I may have misread your post? Maybe you were talking about having a Detroit style in the rear and it not being ideal? Which is a true statement..

As @tJKrider said about a mechanical locker, isn’t ideal but many people have done it. I personally am not a fan of mechanical/zip lockers because there are times you want 4wheel drive without engaging the locker…think tight wooded area where a tighter turning radius is needed.

I have had all 3 styles and my preference would be ARB switched to allow independent locking of either axle. You can certainly install one locker at a time to save cost, as long as no re gearing is done.

I'll also add that my last truck that I did any significant offroading with had a Trac-Lok rear (like the Wrangler has) and open front. I never felt like I was limited, although, I was not rock crawling... More of the "send it" days in the woods when I was more youthful. 😁

My current truck has a factory selectable rear diff lock and an LSD front. I don't think I'll ever need more in that truck. My Wrangler may end up with a reverse of that - LSD rear, selectable front. Only time will tell...

Reactions: 1o1Proof
I didn’t read the above link @BLACKJKU posted but it seems odd no locker in auto? I have heard this other places too. Two friend have a Rubi auto and of course they have lockers. Yes they are OEM. Maybe dependant on type of locker? Not saying I’m right but too many people have auto’s so seems odd they can’t have lockers.

Guess somewhat curious as I may upgrade the wife’s gears and was thinking of a locker in the rear. LSD doesn’t seem to do much, but I’ve heard the clutch mechanism can wear out and requires replacement, but I haven’t looked into that in any detail.

Not saying I’m right but too many people have auto’s so seems odd they can’t have lockers.
The more I've thought about this I can get my head around it, assuming it's a mechanical locker that can't be disengaged. I think the difference with the Rubi's is they can only be engaged in 4lo. My assumption - and it's just that - is that you could install a switchable locker on a non-Rubi, use it only in 4lo, and be fine.

I’m asking because I just don’t understand. How would any of the Jeep electronics know you had a stand alone locker, engaged or otherwise?

I’m asking because I just don’t understand. How would any of the Jeep electronics know you had a stand alone locker, engaged or otherwise?
This is only supposition on my part to understand why it would cause an issue...
possibly the expected wheel speed differential from side to side would cause a fault with the ESC algorithm? For a vehicle with the LSD it would be factored in, but a mechanical locker, once engaged, would never conform to even the LSD calibration. Not saying that's the way it is, but that's how I could make sense of it...

Thank you. So the Yukon does say the ECU requires reprogramming for vehicles equipped with stability control.

It is interesting how it all ties together.

Thank you. So the Yukon does say the ECU requires reprogramming for vehicles equipped with stability control.

It is interesting how it all ties together.

Now if you have a manual trans it shouldn't be a problem I would think.

I'm probably the last guy to take mechanical advice from but I just had a conversation with my local 4x4 mod shop about regearing and putting lockers in the 2010 JK Sport (manual trans) I just picked up for off roading use like the OP described and he advised purchasing take off Rubicon axles instead. I don't remeber the rationale. Might have simply been a cost issue.