Quiet offroad tires

I only have experience with two types/brands of tires so far, as I just recently bought my Jeep. It came with Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts and they were rough riding and pretty loud on the road, but I have a soft top so everything's loud.

I didn't want M/Ts, plus they were dry rotting, so I just bought a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws and they are a MUCH smoother ride and much quieter. I haven't had them up to highway speed yet though.

"Off road tire" is a pretty meaningless term. There is a broad continuum branded as "off road" by the manufacturer. I've run everything from a BFG AT to a bias-ply IROK.

At one end, you have a so-called "all terrain" tire. These are just the slightest bit more aggressive than a pure street tire and will ride smooth and quiet. They will work just fine in mild off road settings. As the off roading gets more serious, their performance will drop off. Of course, the performance will be affected by other equipment, like lockers.

If you need more off road performance than an AT will provide, then forget about quiet. The more off road focused the tire, the louder it's going to get. At some point, you're going to need to either accept the noise, or buy a second set of wheels for street tires.

I've heard good things about the Goodyear Duratracs. I run KO2s and they seem pretty quite with good traction. However, I would probably not buy them again as the tend to hold peebles in the groves and throw up pebbles off-roading.

Ok, an update on my Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws after driving around today: these things are smooooth riding. As smooth as the street tires on my F150. As far as how quiet they are, I don’t know as I had the top open and the windows down the whole time. Hard to hear the tires over the wind noise. But I can’t imagine they would be loud based on how smooth the ride was. Running 28psi in them, btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got out and did the full test on my recently new 35" Atturo Trail Blade XTs from Discount Tire. Very road civilized, can hear the stereo just fine and handled everything I threw at it Saturday as an off-road rookie. Got them on my Jeep Liberty too, just much smaller. ;) I can vouch for their snow ability too. They self clean decently after the mud puddles and barely any slippage in soft sand.

6595981E-5B23-4E34-8AE7-FFFCD3B2F733.png