Newbie Upgrade Clarification:

bburk3388

Supporting Member
I have had quite a few new in modified four-wheel-drive trucks in the past. It seems like all you needed was a lift kit tires and wheels and we’re good to go. Six months ago I switched over to a jeep to modify and hit the trails of North Carolina and Tennessee. already I enjoyed the Jeep life, camaraderie and brotherhood.
Now, in the past six months I have installed new wheels and 37 inch tires. 4 inch lift kit, fox shocks heavy duty front and rear bumpers with a winch. Rear tire carrier with new tire and wheel, roof rack, limb risers, grill, skid plates, and numerous other items. and to make the jeep look good and to get ready for the summer of trail riding. Now, from recently reading posts and such i’m finding out that I need to put another seven to $12,000 in my jeep for a front axle and such???? Otherwise something is going to break or my Dana 30 is going to look like a smiley face??? Not only am I afraid to hit the trails now but I’m thinking that if I run to the grocery store somethings going to happen to the front end without this huge investment. Is this correct??? this $7000-$12,000 investment is from a conclusion of a new Dana 44 axle with locker and ring and pinion. WOW!!!! That’s almost half of what I paid for the whole vehicle. Sarcastically it makes me think that the cost of a jeep is two axles, motor and transmission.=$25,000. Any ideas or thoughts out there??? Before I stripped the JK back down to stock But still remain a Jeep Lifer. Thanks in advance!

C041BDFA-2853-4F53-A245-93517E704605.jpeg

725C03AA-D482-4A3E-A849-7D54FD702FA3.jpeg

It's usually the tire size when you go over a 35" that it's recommended to get the D44. The weak link is the axle shafts and you can get Chromoly axle shafts and then truss your D30 axle to beef it up.

Reactions: BigAL07 and Duster
Not sure about the “other vehicles” but basically any vehicle is designed around the equipment installed on it, with some safety factor. Going from 31”-32” tires to 37” is big change In weight and force on the axle, bearings, steering etc. and something will give or wear prematurely. I would suspect driving around town you’ll be okay with no big failure. Taking it off-road and depending on type of trail, yes something is likely to give out / break. Not to mention depending on the gear ratio you are running there is extra stress there too to turn a 37” tire. I am not sure 12K is needed to make the upgrades, but yes things should be changed out. It is all a balance and what we are willing to accept as cost, vs risk of breakage, vs what performance we want from our Jeep.

Not sure about the “other vehicles” but basically any vehicle is designed around the equipment installed on it, with some safety factor. Going from 31”-32” tires to 37” is big change In weight and force on the axle, bearings, steering etc. and something will give or wear prematurely. I would suspect driving around town you’ll be okay with no big failure. Taking it off-road and depending on type of trail, yes something is likely to give out / break. Not to mention depending on the gear ratio you are running there is extra stress there too to turn a 37” tire. I am not sure 12K is needed to make the upgrades, but yes things should be changed out. It is all a balance and what we are willing to accept as cost, vs risk of breakage, vs what performance we want from our Jeep.
That sounds a little better. Initially I had a case of sticker type of shock. I do plan on re gear, bracing and upgraded axles. Thanks!

I have 3.73 now. But within next couple months plan on switching to 4.88’s.
I have 37x12.50r17 on my dana 30. I do have a RC truss welded on it. Still have the OEM shafts on though. As long as your not rock crawling, get stuck, mash it and spin the tires till they grip. It's the spinning and quick grip that will get ya in trouble. You'll be OK till you get chromoly shafts or a front dana 44. I'm saving for either 1 right now. Actually looking in junk yards for a wrecked Rubicon for a 44.

Reactions: mrjp
I have 37x12.50r17 on my dana 30. I do have a RC truss welded on it. Still have the OEM shafts on though. As long as your not rock crawling, get stuck, mash it and spin the tires till they grip. It's the spinning and quick grip that will get ya in trouble. You'll be OK till you get chromoly shafts or a front dana 44. I'm saving for either 1 right now. Actually looking in junk yards for a wrecked Rubicon for a 44.
I just ordered a RC truss and wanting the chromoly shafts too. Thanks

Reactions: JeepJeezy and mrjp