New to the Jeep world

Gatorlaw

I just purchased my first Jeep a 2012. Previous owner installed new front and rear bumpers, wench, tires and wheels, and according to the dealer a lift kit (doesn’t look lifted to me?).

I want to replace the top, as the Velcro on the rear window attachments is not grabbing or holding much (unless there is an easier option) if I replace the top will likely go with a slant back.

I am also thinking about a 4” lift. Haven’t decided on brand but will be mostly for looks (not trying to make a rock crawler) as i won’t see lots of extreme terrain in Florida. Probably will have a shop do the install as it is my primary transportation and need it on the road and don’t want to blow my weekend with the Jeep in pieces. But if the install cost is crazy I’ll do it myself.

861C22DE-8443-47D4-A6ED-5E07C806961A.jpeg

CFD58BCC-3F1A-4867-B7BE-06FF48C3AD65.jpeg

EC7D6D7D-F881-4073-8A4A-6B7F25735C02.jpeg

Reactions: Savior_Six
The crazy part of the 4" lift will be the price because if it's a good one it will have everything needed to do it right, You can buy cheap 4" lifts but you'll end up paying more after you drive it and find out it's all over the road.

Does it have stock tires on it now?

The kit needs to have adjustable front control arms and adjustable front and rear track bars. No idea on prices, others will know.

Reactions: mrjp
I just purchased my first Jeep a 2012. Previous owner installed new front and rear bumpers, wench,
Wish my JKU came with a wench.
Would give me someone to talk to besides the wife....

Seriously, I have no idea why anyone would put a 4" lift on a daily driver with no intentions of going off-road. Aside from the sheer expense of a lift done right, the additional maintenance and drain on the gas mileage, I dunno.
Anyway, that's a good looking JK (not an angry eyes fan) and a minimal lift of 2" or so can be done without a lot of suspension upgrades and you can easily fit a pair of 35s on a 2" lift.
Your Sahara has a 3.73, same as mine. I'm right on the edge of having to regear it due to the wheel size (35) and a 2.5" lift. If you were to go with a 4" and buy bigger shoes, you'd almost certainly need to regear it, which is a fairly substantial investment as well.

Here's mine with a 2.5" lift, to give you some perspective:
Jeep 4.jpg

Last edited: