My first Wrangler: What sort of things do I need to be aware of?

I picked up a 2009 manual last year that just rolled over 190k. I recently decided to change the plugs and wires and gained an easy 40 hp, like I peeled out today accidentally kinda more power. Some of the plugs I pulled out had a gap of 70 thou. it's supposed to be 50. Its not too bad of a job on a 3.8 so probably not a bad idea. (changing the plugs on the 3.6 is a big operation)

Worst part of the job was getting the new passenger side wires fed back behind the engine.

Reactions: franka548
I noticed it looks like the whole bottom of the oil pan comes off, the gasket there seems to be seeping a bit, has anyone else experienced this? Is it an easy gasket swap?

also, do you guys check your oil with the engine running or no? I thought I read somewhere that some car manufacturers recommend checking oil while the engine is running, but I’ve never done it that way.

No never check the engine oil with the engine running, shut it off wait about 10 minutes and check.

Reactions: mrjp
I noticed it looks like the whole bottom of the oil pan comes off, the gasket there seems to be seeping a bit, has anyone else experienced this? Is it an easy gasket swap?

also, do you guys check your oil with the engine running or no? I thought I read somewhere that some car manufacturers recommend checking oil while the engine is running, but I’ve never done it that way.
my guess would be you are thinking of checking transmission fluid (oil) levels. Unless there is some new design for how oil is moved about in an engine, checking the oil when it has pooled into it's home of the oil pan is how manufacturers design the hash marks on the dipstick.

Also, yes. The 3.8 oil pan gasket can fail. I need to change mine pretty bad, but it's going to wait until spring. That being said, it is a pretty easy operation on the 3.8. There are videos online about doing it. As a note, 100% get the gasket with the metal core and clip ups. The metal core just keeps the whole thing rigid when installing (and you don't spend your afternoon trying to align a rubber band) and the clip ups hold the pan in place when you are re-installing. Fel-pro is the brand I've used on other vehicles and they work great.

Also, never overtighten. it can make things worse.

Last edited:
Brake fluid Flush. I'm in the middle of replacing front calipers and decided at the same time replacing all (4) brake hoses with SS. When I Turkey bastered out brake fluid from the reservoir It was dirrrrttty. What I'm bleeding is also dirrrrttty. The new in is Clear. The old out is Black. I'm sure it was never changed in the 11 years of life and probably contributed to my sticky caliper problems.

Brake fluid Flush. I'm in the middle of replacing front calipers and decided at the same time replacing all (4) brake hoses with SS. When I Turkey bastered out brake fluid from the reservoir It was dirrrrttty. What I'm bleeding is also dirrrrttty. The new in is Clear. The old out is Black. I'm sure it was never changed in the 11 years of life and probably contributed to my sticky caliper problems.

Brake fluid is the most often neglected fluid on a vehicle, usually the only time it gets new put in is when there is a leak.

Reactions: mrjp