Left turn signal light works for ~5 seconds then quits

F

FLGeezer

Weird issue cropped up today on my 2009 JK. Left turn signal started flashing fast indicating a blown bulb somewhere. Rear is fine. Front off. Replaced the bulb (not LED) although the old one still looked ok. Tested it and it worked fine for about 5 or 10 seconds then quit. Rear still flashing. Tried again and before it died I Jiggled the bulb socket/harness thinking to see if it was a bad wire somewhere but it stayed on....for a few seconds.

JScan shows code B163C "front left turn lamp control circuit high". Did some Googling and searched here. Not sure on anything. Flasher relay maybe? But rear is flashing. 🤷‍♂️

Ideas? Thanks.

EDIT: Ordered a "Dorman 645-118 Three Terminal Lamp Socket" from Amazon. Will see if that does anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
7kuv4y.jpg

Three possibilities I see.

First: The old bulb was bad and the computer took a bit to learn the new circuit voltage. Essentially the code disappeared by itself. (or you cleared it)

Second: You have an exposed wire that was shorting out, it jiggled itself out of shorting out, but may come back in the future.

Third: Jeep is possessed, call an exorcist.

Reactions: FLGeezer
Forth: TIPM issue maybe. My wipers are coming on by themselves every 21 seconds now. Whee.

BTW, I'm still seeing that code in JScan but only when I do an "Advanced Scan".

EDIT: No I'm not. Just had to figure out how to clear codes in Jscan.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be right. The turn signal is fine now but I was also having a weird issue with my wipers coming on every 20 seconds (separate thread about this). Just now went out and while it was doing it I pushed up on the right wiper stalk and waited....and it's not doing it anymore. So, maybe that one is going bad too.