Key Question

Anybodyhome

USN Retired (1973-1993)
Supporting Member
One of my keys has worn so badly, just carrying it in my pocket sets the lights off & on, trips the locks, etc. So I got out the spare and removed the battery from the old one to stop that annoyance.
My question: Can I simply buy a new key fob, get it cut to match and swap the circuit chip from the old key to the new and be good to go?
I don't necessarily have to buy a new key fob and go thru all the re-programming crap, do I?

I haven’t been able to get the remote start to work on my key. Is there a different code for the remote start? Actually I haven’t been able to get the unlock / lock button to work Either. But the key works and the Jeep runs so I did something right. Just afraid of trying too many times as I heard there is a limit to number of keys and not sure if re-programming the same key takes up a slot.

Reactions: Speartip and mrjp
This is the key I purchased in Oct. Lock , Unlock , Auto Start all works . The range is impressive . Haven’t had to replace battery yet . It’s my understanding some fobs go threw batteries fast . Not this one .
Auto start hold 3 buttons down with thumb and BAM starts up .
It’s actually very easy to program using JSCAN . Takes maybe 5 mins , tops .
73B564BD-1D9C-465F-A28B-A2F72CAFD3AA.png
A2954D0A-D24A-4FB9-8199-5E0D23A3ED38.png

I got THIS switchblade key fob from Amazon, because I got tired of the giant, oddly shaped factory key trying to re-do my vasectomy. And because it makes it easier to differentiate between my Jeep key and her Jeep key.

I do not have remote start (M6...) but all other functions work properly. And I believe there is a version that does have remote start capability.

As with @Speartip, programming took just a few minutes with JScan, and I did not need a second key.

I got THIS switchblade key fob from Amazon, because I got tired of the giant, oddly shaped factory key trying to re-do my vasectomy. And because it makes it easier to differentiate between my Jeep key and her Jeep key.

I do not have remote start (M6...) but all other functions work properly. And I believe there is a version that does have remote start capability.

As with @Speartip, programming took just a few minutes with JScan, and I did not need a second key.
I like that key. I have no PD or remote start, but that key would make it easier to carry. Did you do it on your 2011 or 2013. I wonder if it'll work for my 07.

Reactions: Speartip
I like that key. I have no PD or remote start, but that key would make it easier to carry. Did you do it on your 2011 or 2013. I wonder if it'll work for my 07.
If you don't have PD or RS functions, I suspect that you could make a flip-out key (that doesn't need a battery!) using a key blank, a grinder, and a piece of sanded & polished wood (think fancy knife handle)...

My testicles much prefer this key... I used it for the 2013. The product info says it should work on any JK/JKU.

• Haha
Reactions: mrjp and 72c10
If you don't have PD or RS functions, I suspect that you could make a flip-out key (that doesn't need a battery!) using a key blank, a grinder, and a piece of sanded & polished wood (think fancy knife handle)...
I believe the key fob also has a security chip, without which you cannot start the engine. I certainly could not start mine with the cut key until after it was programmed.

Reactions: mrjp and 72c10