JK leaking with 89k miles and new rear main seal

That is correct rear main seal & oil filter housing both replaced. The JK is about to hit 90k miles it’s a 2016 automatic

If they didn't screw up the rear main seal install, which is possible, there is a bead of rtv along the back of the oil pan. If that bead was broken when they installed the rear main (and those rubber plugs are access holes for two of those bolts), then it will leak between the block and the top of the upper oil pan.

If you check the video I posted earlier, at about the 10:00 mark, the guy in the video has his rear seal replaced but the rtv seal was broken during replacement, causing it to leak from the upper oil pan.

He explains it in the video. Either you have a rear main seal that was installed incorrectly, or the upper oil pan needs re-sealed to the block with RTV. Or both.

Reactions: MacGuyver
If they didn't screw up the rear main seal install, which is possible, there is a bead of rtv along the back of the oil pan. If that bead was broken when they installed the rear main (and those rubber plugs are access holes for two of those bolts), then it will leak between the block and the top of the upper oil pan.

If you check the video I posted earlier, at about the 10:00 mark, the guy in the video has his rear seal replaced but the rtv seal was broken during replacement, causing it to leak from the upper oil pan.

He explains it in the video. Either you have a rear main seal that was installed incorrectly, or the upper oil pan needs re-sealed to the block with RTV. Or both.
Yep, this is was my point. Shops don't always get it right, even the honest ones.

Was this resolved and if so what was the issue?

I'm having similar issues. I have 2016 JKU with ~86k miles. Just had the oil filter housing replaced and still leaking oil. It's back at the dealership and they just told my the rear main seal is leaking. Just curious what the final solution to your oil leak was? Thanks!

Was this resolved and if so what was the issue?

I'm having similar issues. I have 2016 JKU with ~86k miles. Just had the oil filter housing replaced and still leaking oil. It's back at the dealership and they just told my the rear main seal is leaking. Just curious what the final solution to your oil leak was? Thanks!

I've heard of replacement oil filter housings leaking, I would get a 2nd opinion especially if that Dealer replaced the housing.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
A leaking oil filter is super easy to diagnose with a flashlight. Near the oil filter housing, shine said light at the top of the engine block. Oil pools there, and then drains off the back of the block. Once you know where to look, a diagnosis takes 10 seconds.

Probably a youtube vid showing this someplace.

Reactions: mrjp
That is correct rear main seal & oil filter housing both replaced. The JK is about to hit 90k miles it’s a 2016 automatic
Did you ever find your problem? I have the same thing and the dealer keeps telling me it isn't the rear main seal when clearly oil is leaking from the rubber grommets right behind the oil pan.

Did you ever find your problem? I have the same thing and the dealer keeps telling me it isn't the rear main seal when clearly oil is leaking from the rubber grommets right behind the oil pan.

You can buy some dye and put it in your oil and that will show where it's coming from. Would be good to clean up the area good with some brake cleaner before adding the dye.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Hola mi nombre es Luis y tengo una pregunta que pasaría si se metiera la sello o cómo la llaman el empaque dentro del motor es que mi wrangler se me cayó el empaque dentro

Hola mi nombre es Luis y tengo una pregunta que pasaría si se metiera la sello o cómo la llaman el empaque dentro del motor es que mi wrangler se me cayó el empaque dentro
I think I'm following. You dropped a gasket into the engine, correct? What part of the engine did you drop the gasket into? Probably a good idea to get it out, there aren't many places where dropping anything at all in the engine is an ok thing.

We may run into some translation issues here, My Spanish had nothing to do with car engines.

The rear main seal plate on a 3.6 L jeep has a rubber seal all the way around the plate, except for where it connects to the oil pan and that Hass to be RTV then if they did not RTV it in, including the corners right by the block it’s going to leak . As was previous stated by others the only way to be able to tell exactly where it’s coming from is to pull the transmission back out of it and inspect it and make sure that that’s where it’s coming from. I would suspect that they didn’t RTV silicone it, where it meets the oil pan because they thought that it just to sealed itself but it doesn’t.
I have seen both cases in my shop in the last six months as well as oil and Copland leaks from oil filter housing