JK leaking with 89k miles and new rear main seal

Vman

JK Enthusiast
That is correct rear main seal & oil filter housing both replaced. The JK is about to hit 90k miles it’s a 2016 automatic

If they didn't screw up the rear main seal install, which is possible, there is a bead of rtv along the back of the oil pan. If that bead was broken when they installed the rear main (and those rubber plugs are access holes for two of those bolts), then it will leak between the block and the top of the upper oil pan.

If you check the video I posted earlier, at about the 10:00 mark, the guy in the video has his rear seal replaced but the rtv seal was broken during replacement, causing it to leak from the upper oil pan.

He explains it in the video. Either you have a rear main seal that was installed incorrectly, or the upper oil pan needs re-sealed to the block with RTV. Or both.

Reactions: MacGuyver

MacGuyver

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
If they didn't screw up the rear main seal install, which is possible, there is a bead of rtv along the back of the oil pan. If that bead was broken when they installed the rear main (and those rubber plugs are access holes for two of those bolts), then it will leak between the block and the top of the upper oil pan.

If you check the video I posted earlier, at about the 10:00 mark, the guy in the video has his rear seal replaced but the rtv seal was broken during replacement, causing it to leak from the upper oil pan.

He explains it in the video. Either you have a rear main seal that was installed incorrectly, or the upper oil pan needs re-sealed to the block with RTV. Or both.
Yep, this is was my point. Shops don't always get it right, even the honest ones.

Reactions: BigAL07 and Vman

captainmarkos

Was this resolved and if so what was the issue?

I'm having similar issues. I have 2016 JKU with ~86k miles. Just had the oil filter housing replaced and still leaking oil. It's back at the dealership and they just told my the rear main seal is leaking. Just curious what the final solution to your oil leak was? Thanks!

BLACKJKU

Staff Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Was this resolved and if so what was the issue?

I'm having similar issues. I have 2016 JKU with ~86k miles. Just had the oil filter housing replaced and still leaking oil. It's back at the dealership and they just told my the rear main seal is leaking. Just curious what the final solution to your oil leak was? Thanks!

I've heard of replacement oil filter housings leaking, I would get a 2nd opinion especially if that Dealer replaced the housing.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp

MacGuyver

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
A leaking oil filter is super easy to diagnose with a flashlight. Near the oil filter housing, shine said light at the top of the engine block. Oil pools there, and then drains off the back of the block. Once you know where to look, a diagnosis takes 10 seconds.

Probably a youtube vid showing this someplace.

Reactions: mrjp

lasvegasguy12

That is correct rear main seal & oil filter housing both replaced. The JK is about to hit 90k miles it’s a 2016 automatic
Did you ever find your problem? I have the same thing and the dealer keeps telling me it isn't the rear main seal when clearly oil is leaking from the rubber grommets right behind the oil pan.

BLACKJKU

Staff Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Did you ever find your problem? I have the same thing and the dealer keeps telling me it isn't the rear main seal when clearly oil is leaking from the rubber grommets right behind the oil pan.

You can buy some dye and put it in your oil and that will show where it's coming from. Would be good to clean up the area good with some brake cleaner before adding the dye.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07