JK leaking with 89k miles and new rear main seal

elRigg

I recently got the rear main seal kit replaced and the Jeep is STILL leaking. Any other things that it could be?

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

They love leaking up top and seeping down the transmission to the bottom.

Did they check to see if the oil filter housing was leaking?

Reactions: SteveF
The transmission front pump seal is the only other thing in that area that could leak.

Could it leak from the upper oil pan if they didn't reseal it good? I know on the 3.8 you have to rtv the corners when you put the upper oil pan back on or it will leak.

Take the cover off the top of the engine and look down beside the oil filter housing. You may need a light. If there is oil there it is leaking down the valley and around and down the bellhousing. I just recieved my dorman aluminum upgraded housing and plan on installing it soon on my wifes 2014 JKU sahara.

Reactions: MacGuyver
Take the cover off the top of the engine and look down beside the oil filter housing. You may need a light. If there is oil there it is leaking down the valley and around and down the bellhousing. I just recieved my dorman aluminum upgraded housing and plan on installing it soon on my wifes 2014 JKU sahara.
Yep, this is a common-ish leak that the 3.6 develops. Not just on wranglers, but in all versions of the engine. When I had a jeep with this engine, I used a video from a charger to diagnose it.

The oil cooler sits on top of the engine block, it also contains the housing for the oil filter. These fail, and the begin to create a puddle in the valley on top of the block. If you shine a flashlight down and near the oil filter housing to see the top of the block, you will be able to see the oil puddling.
Because of how the engine leans back just a bit, it will very slowly leak down the back of the block, making a diagnosis frustrating if you don't know what you are looking for.

Reactions: SteveF and Vegvisir
Update Mopar oil filter housing has been replaced and still freaking leaking. Im losing hope
So the oil cooler (oil filter housing) was leaking? We are doing our best to help and the pictures really help, but there are very specific conditions that would require replacing the oil cooler. You see a lot about it here, but it is not always the solution.

Have you collected any of the oil that is dripping and verified that it is engine oil and not trans fluid or some other fluid? In addition many of our suggestions have been based on our assumptions about what year jeep and engine you have.

Please give us jeep year, manual or auto, any mods that have been done, mileage, and anything else you can tell us. The more info we have the more we can help. There are many variations in jeeps across the years that can make things difficult to diagnose.

Reactions: SteveF
I see you have a auto trans, next time it leaves a spot on the cement take a paper towel and try to soak as much into it as possible and then look to see what color the oil is. Or even try to get some on the towel from the bellhousing area.

Reactions: Duster
Looks like engine oil. I hate to say this but looks like the only way to find out will be to pull the trans back to see where it looks like it's coming from.

We have done everything we can until we get more info about the jeep, my guess at this point would be a main seal if the oil is coming from the inspection holes.

That is correct rear main seal & oil filter housing both replaced. The JK is about to hit 90k miles it’s a 2016 automatic

That is correct rear main seal & oil filter housing both replaced. The JK is about to hit 90k miles it’s a 2016 automatic

It could be a bad seal, you should take it back to where the seal was put in and have them replace it.

But if it wasn't a honest shop they will just say it was something else so they could get paid again.

Reactions: Duster and mrjp