JK high school build

If going to 3” or higher lift probably will need a different driveshaft(s), exhaust modifications at the crossover, and adjustable control arms. For the tire size will need to change the offset, I’d recommend proper rims, not spacers. I know some disagree with it and like spacers, but just my two cents.
Totally agree. On a 2dr, I don't feel you "need" more than 2.5" for 35". Might want to do a fender chop or get aftermarket for greater clearance. Once you go higher than that, as @Danarch said, the add-ons can add up.

Also, I absolutely concur with getting proper rims. I'm one of those that feel using proper wheel spacers can be done safely, but if you're doing it right, get the proper rims. Shoot, you might even find some decent used ones. You could also go the pizza cutter route, but that's a different topic :)

Totally agree. On a 2dr, I don't feel you "need" more than 2.5" for 35". Might want to do a fender chop or get aftermarket for greater clearance. Once you go higher than that, as @Danarch said, the add-ons can add up.

Also, I absolutely concur with getting proper rims. I'm one of those that feel using proper wheel spacers can be done safely, but if you're doing it right, get the proper rims. Shoot, you might even find some decent used ones. You could also go the pizza cutter route, but that's a different topic :)
Any wheel suggestions? I was looking into JT wheels from rubi gladiator but if we are talking about proper wheels, maybe can suggest some good ones? (the right size and etc)

I am going to 3 inch lift, do I really need to get an adjustable control arms? Also, I know that Ill have to mess with the exhaust, which is no big deal for me, but the driveshafts are very expensive as far I know, and I saw few forums saying that for 3inch I dont need em, but some of them, say I do, so do I really need a new driveshafts for 3 inch lift? (and no, im not going higher than that)
For a 2dr, you might need them because of the shorter wheelbase but I'll defer to others that have the knowledge. You have to remember, 75% of JK's sold were JKU's, so there seem to be a LOT more 4dr builds out there.

For the driveshaft it may depend on the lift you get. For instance from what I understand MetalCloack gives great travel distance, so with full flex the front driveshaft may hit other component, one being the exhaust. So it could depend on what exhaust mod’s are done. I’m not sure about the length. It seems from general consensus anything over 2.5” needs new control arms to adjust the caster. Plus you’ll need a new track bars, but depending on the lift mfr it will come with them.

For the driveshaft it may depend on the lift you get. For instance from what I understand MetalCloack gives great travel distance, so with full flex the front driveshaft may hit other component, one being the exhaust. So it could depend on what exhaust mod’s are done. I’m not sure about the length. It seems from general consensus anything over 2.5” needs new control arms to adjust the caster. Plus you’ll need a new track bars, but depending on the lift mfr it will come with them.
True, and I'm still not sure on what exact lift Im looking, because metalacloak sells only either 2.5 or 3.5 lift, which is, for most part, I think 2.5 is good and enough, but I have a feeling that 3.0 would be a golden spot, not like 3.5, a little too much, so. Might need to look at terraflex suspension kits

So we have the AEV 2.5” lift, overall a complete setup. My wife and I each netted over 3” of lift. It’s enough lift to run 35” tires. In general it seems Metalcloak, Teraflex, and AEV seem to be tops for the JK. Clayton also makes great lifts.

So we have the AEV 2.5” lift, overall a complete setup. My wife and I each netted over 3” of lift. It’s enough lift to run 35” tires. In general it seems Metalcloak, Teraflex, and AEV seem to be tops for the JK. Clayton also makes great lifts.
Ah, I see, will take a look at em for sure

I am going to 3 inch lift, do I really need to get an adjustable control arms? Also, I know that Ill have to mess with the exhaust, which is no big deal for me, but the driveshafts are very expensive as far I know, and I saw few forums saying that for 3inch I dont need em, but some of them, say I do, so do I really need a new driveshafts for 3 inch lift? (and no, im not going higher than that)
At 3" you should at least get lower adjustable control arms. This will help adjust your caster. You will also need an adjustable trac bar. Gotta keep that steering wheel straight! As far as drive shafts, 3" is the max. There's a slight chance you're driveshaft could pop out while on the trail. Do you have the 3.8 or the 3.6? Some Jks still had the 3.8 in 2012. The 3.6 will need the exhaust extension. It's cheap and easy. The 3.8 does not need it.

The answer is an absolute 100% maybe.

I'm running a 3" and 5" lift. Neither has adjustable control arms and both are using the stock driveshafts, and both are doing just fine. But they're short arm lifts. Long arm lifts tend to be more flexible, but that means more supporting mods.

Reactions: JK_OWNER_
At 3" you should at least get lower adjustable control arms. This will help adjust your caster. You will also need an adjustable trac bar. Gotta keep that steering wheel straight! As far as drive shafts, 3" is the max. There's a slight chance you're driveshaft could pop out while on the trail. Do you have the 3.8 or the 3.6? Some Jks still had the 3.8 in 2012. The 3.6 will need the exhaust extension. It's cheap and easy. The 3.8 does not need it.
I got 3.6, im ok with the straight pipe lol

The answer is an absolute 100% maybe.

I'm running a 3" and 5" lift. Neither has adjustable control arms and both are using the stock driveshafts, and both are doing just fine. But they're short arm lifts. Long arm lifts tend to be more flexible, but that means more supporting mods.
I plan on staying mid arm ish, so, might need to get me tho

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I plan on staying mid arm ish, so, might need to get me tho
Easy enough to find out. Get the lift and such installed, mark the shaft, flex it, and see how much of the shaft has slipped out. If it's more than about half the spline length, I'd say you need to replace.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
Big Giant UPDATE:
Woke up early morning, and first thing I heard my bro telling that he found a good deal on Facebook (35s Nitto, on method wheels) 6 tires, and 5 wheels, for 500$, jumped to my jeep, went to ATM, and got em, absolutely a good deal, installed them same day. Runs smooth and absolutely love them. I did disconnect sway bar and used a jack, to see how bad it would rub on *flex mode*, it does, but not like it will kill me, yk, now looking at Rancho shocks and some 2.5 inch either lift kit or spacers to put on right now.

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

7D835931-119E-4C96-8624-4F8DAF687BA5.jpeg

5745A264-9841-4794-9C43-3B7675BA08EF.jpeg

IMG_8722.jpeg

IMG_8723.jpeg

IMG_8721.jpeg

107A8E8F-334D-44AB-9DFE-AEE72D391B2F.jpeg

IMG_8720.jpeg

IMG_8719.jpeg

4C16F23C-C30F-45CB-ABD1-F324C7E625A5.jpeg

CF1734B0-2672-4E3C-9C31-34DDA41689CC.jpeg

D96BEE63-0A3E-469C-AB3B-B10268EB1550.jpeg

Another update:
I was trying to save up for a good lift kit from Metalcloak or Teraflex, 3-inch lift kit, and get a full package (which is almost 2k), but after reading few things, that I will have to order driveshaft and few other stuff, I decided, JUST FOR NOW, it is not in my budget due to car payments, and college stuff, so I went out and got a 2.5 budget boost (spacers) for 200$, it will work fine for now, just to get some clearance and have fun on trails. I'm curently saving up for a decent lift kit and both driveshaft's, so I can order them and put them on same day.
The next day went out to Reiter (PNW trail) and did some rock crawling up there (ish). Here are some pictures. I could see that 2.5 was not enough for me, unfortunately, but will fix that =)

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6944.HEIC
    890.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6949.HEIC
    2.7 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6940.HEIC
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
Good choice for now. What did you do with the shocks? If I recall correctly they mount to the body at the top. Would be good to get news ones or the brackets they make so the stock shocks will work.

Good choice for now. What did you do with the shocks? If I recall correctly they mount to the body at the top. Would be good to get news ones or the brackets they make so the stock shocks will work.
Yes, I just ordered Rancho Shocks ( RS77331 and RS77330). Before ordering shocks, I decided to measure the extended and compressed length, and holy smokes, 2 inch shocks are basically the stock ones, but they say that they are made for 2 inch lift, so I ordered these ones in order to get a full flex and more up travel and down travel, front are 4 inch shocks and rear ones are 2.5-3.0, will test em out this weekend on a local trail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danarch
Installed my new shocks that are giving full travel, here is few things that are notice about em:
1. These shocks are made for an 4 inch lift, but, they are giving me an 4 inch downtravel and 2 inch up travel, so I'm gonna have to order an bracket to make it 50/50
2. Shocks are too long, and hitting the frame, not critically but they do, so planning on ordering 3.5 inch lift kit for sure (maybe 4)

In overall, they are decent, little bit stiff, but I'm okay with that, the stock ones (they had 100k on em) were absolutely destroyed and wouldn't even back up after being compressed, so that was worth it, now planning on ordering some brackets in order to get some more uptravel and either order a lift kit (next year) or get an brackets so they don't hit the frame at all (for now solution), Overall, so far so good.

IMG-0901.JPG

IMG-0886.JPG

IMG-0903.JPG

IMG-0902.jpg

IMG-0885.JPG

Reactions: Dlcain
Looks good! I was just thinking about buying new shocks yesterday. Is Rancho a good brand? If I tell the parts store that I have a 2.5" lift, they would be able to pick the right shock length for me?

Looks good! I was just thinking about buying new shocks yesterday. Is Rancho a good brand? If I tell the parts store that I have a 2.5" lift, they would be able to pick the right shock length for me?
Rancho is a decent brand, I personally like them, and my buddies put them on too, and they do a pretty good job, before ordering shocks I have a couple of questions:
1. Do you offroad, if yes, how often, are you looking for an full up travel or down travel
2. OR, are you just looking for shocks to replace your OEM ones?
Depends on what you are looking for, because I got 2.5-inch lift on, and they offered me the completely same shocks as mine, just a RANCHO brand, but if you wanna get more up travel and down travel, make sure to measure your down travel and up travel without the tire and a shock (oem one), and see when ur spring is about to fall off, measure and write that down. And look in a rancho website for your shocks, your compressed and extended length.

Last edited: