Jeep shock bolts headache

longlivenintendo

JK Enthusiast
Ho boy fellow jeepers!

Got my new bilstein shocks to put on but I'm still stuck ok my first shock. I got the castle nut off and the bolt is rotating but doesn't want to come out. Lots of rust. Spraying pb blaster like crazy . Any ideas?

20230216_210210.jpg

It looks to me like you have it jacked up under the axle, you need to stretch the shock some to take some of the down force off the shock.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
I left the wheels on when I put new shocks on mine. Keeps the shock at the normal length- not extended or compressed. Then jack up the vehicle in such a way as to not compress the shock and get a jackstand under it.
Hate to say this, but there's no way I'm crawling under your Jeep with a 2x4 on end standing upright on a floor jack.... please be careful!

If you've exhausted most options, go get a bolt puller at your local Harbor Freight store.

20230216_215006-jpg.jpg

I left the wheels on when I put new shocks on mine. Keeps the shock at the normal length- not extended or compressed. Then jack up the vehicle in such a way as to not compress the shock and get a jackstand under it.
Hate to say this, but there's no way I'm crawling under your Jeep with a 2x4 on end standing upright on a floor jack.... please be careful!

If you've exhausted most options, go get a bolt puller at your local Harbor Freight store.

View attachment 123781
I got it under other Jack's its sitting on and jack stands. I totally hear ya and appreciate the heads up. It was just a 1 more time before heading in to see if jacking it up a hair more from the front would relieve the bolt more

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Anybody install the bilsteins 4600s before? I got the lock nut down and she's on the stem but doesn't seem to be getting the upper bushing to be approximately the same width as the upper washer as per the instructions. Weight is on the tires again

20230217_113635.jpg

I’ve installed the Bilstein 5100, not sure if the 4600 is the same or not. The 5100 are pain in the rear. If you know any of this sorry. If the same as the 5100 you need to Insert an allen wrench in the top of the shock stud while turning the nut. A boxend ratchet wrench will be your friend. Not sure what year your JK is but for 2012 later on the passenger side you most likely will need to cut the honeycomb plastic thing some in order to get the allen wrench in there. To decrease the amount of cutting some cut the allen wrench to make it shorter, I did not try that. It was a pain overall. Good luck.

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
I’ve installed the Bilstein 5100, not sure if the 4600 is the same or not. The 5100 are pain in the rear. If you know any of this sorry. If the same as the 5100 you need to Insert an allen wrench in the top of the shock stud while turning the nut. A boxend ratchet wrench will be your friend. Not sure what year your JK is but for 2012 later on the passenger side you most likely will need to cut the honeycomb plastic thing some in order to get the allen wrench in there. To decrease the amount of cutting some cut the allen wrench to make it shorter, I did not try that. It was a pain overall. Good luck.
I tried my Allen wrench thing but the ones I have are too tall to slide in... ughhh