Jeep not turning over

ChristyD

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, purchased it used on 5/25/20. It has 124,000 miles on it, great shape. I have put 3,000 miles on it. On 9/13/20, it quit running while I was driving it. No noise or lights, just dead. The plastic part where the oil pump connected to the timing cover melted and burned up the motor. I had a rebuilt motor installed and ever since I have had issues with starting it. The Steering Wheel Control Module has been replaced. It still didn't start without trying it many times. I was told that it was the ECM...so I replaced that yesterday. It is still not starting on the first try or even after many tries. Any suggestions besides a blow torch or crash helmet? I can't put any more money into this thing. Help!!!

Yes, I just tried it and it does. What do I need to do to get it to start without it being in neutral?

Probably the shift cable bushings are bad or else the part in the trans that tells the ECM it's in park or neutral. Shift cable end bushings are pretty easy to check by looking under the Jeep at the ends.

Reactions: mrjp and Ghstrydr
Thank you!!! Would that have gone bad (or should have been caught) when they put the new engine in?

Probably not, they are just plastic pieces that wear out and break. If I remember right they are only about $5.00 a piece.

For future ref, torch beats helmet. But then it comes down to The Little Man (in the gut).
d.jpg

Good morning. I am having a heck of a time finding the shift cable bushings for a 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited auto transmission 2 wheel drive. Any suggestions?

Good morning. I am having a heck of a time finding the shift cable bushings for a 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited auto transmission 2 wheel drive. Any suggestions?

Read this Post it gives the OEM and also Amazon parts.

Reactions: Chris and mrjp
Hello again....I am still having troubles with this. It’s not the bushing and I have a new ECM that was just put in. Is there some kind of sensor that it might be? It still starts every time in Neutral and hit and miss in park.

There has been a Member a month or so ago that had the same problem and it was the sensor inside the transmission valve body that was causing the problem. Also it would probably be cheaper to have a transmission shop do the repair then the Dealer, unless you really like the Dealer. Also there is a bushing on both ends of the shift cable.

Reactions: mrjp