Stuck in Reverse

Donna

Hello,
Got home, put my Jeep in park, turned it off, hopped out and then it started rolling down the driveway. I hopped back in and put the emergency brake on. I tried to start the Jeep and it would not start. I then noticed on the cluster it says Reverse even though the shifter says Park. Shifter won't move now. Prior to this I felt no jumping, nothing, rode like normal.
Any ideas where to start?
2009 JKU
Thanks!

failed shifter bushing at the stick end, or failed connection at the transmission end is my guess. The shifter bushing at the stick shift end seems to be a common issue just searching online...no personal experience (yet).

Reactions: Chris and Donna
failed shifter bushing at the stick end, or failed connection at the transmission end is my guess. The shifter bushing at the stick shift end seems to be a common issue just searching online...no personal experience (yet).

So it is the bushing, but it is the one that's under the Jeep. I was able to manually push it into Park and it now starts.
Is it the same bushing on the inside of the center console, that it is for the outside under the Jeep? I only found one part (68064273AB). Some guy who answered the phone at 4WD said it was a different part for underneath and that I should come in and have them do it. He gave me a part number that when I looked it up didn't match my vehicle (14057).
I think it's the same bushing for inside and out, but I want a second opinion before I spend more on shipping than the actual part.
2009 Wrangler JKU
Thanks

Also from what I was reading it's the same bushing that's used for the T-case shifter. Let us know how it goes.

did you fix it?
Not yet, it's in such a tight area. My hands fit up in there and I can set it in place, I just can't squeeze it all the way in. A friend of mine is going to come by, hopefully his hands fit up in there.
I saw videos where the linkage was hanging down and they had better leverage. I just can't figure out how they got the linkage to hang down.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
good luck and let us know - take a photo if you can! I might have to do this someday...

So I got the Amazon one and since it's so tough to put in, I asked others for some tips. Three people told me it was the wrong one and I needed to replace the entire shift linkage. They were wrong (you were right), it worked by detaching the shift linkage and using a pair of pliers to squeeze it in. Thanks for your recommendations.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Thanks for updating this and glad they worked, pliers was the only way I found to put them in easy along with some wd-40 sometimes.

Reactions: Donna
good luck and let us know - take a photo if you can! I might have to do this someday...

I DID IT! Thankfully for me, this happened while I was backing up in my driveway. I used the Crown Auto 68064273AB Shifter Bushing from Amazon sold by Extreme Off Road for $5.96 free shipping. People will say that it doesn't fit underneath, but it is the correct one.

I had to detach the shift linkage in order to make it hang down to get better leverage. I then used a pair of pliers to squeeze it into place. It only took about a minute to get it in with the pliers. I then reattached the shift linkage and pushed the bushing back on the shifter underneath.

Thanks
Donna

2009 JKU Automatic

20200502_151122.jpg
20200502_151653_HDR.jpg
20200502_141233~2.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Wow, that looks like a tight fit to get your hands in there.

Glad you got it taken care of, and more importantly, thanks for the update (y)

Always love a happy ending.

Reactions: Donna