I thought I'd start a thread about best friends

We don't have kids, and at 64 I'm fairly certain it's not going to happen. But these are my 2 best friends, aside from the wife.
Chief is a 10-year old, 95lb mix. His DNA says his grandparents were a Rottie & Husky on one side and a Doberman and St. Bernard on the other side.

View attachment 116796
We had to say goodbye to Chief yesterday. He was a year old when a Chevy 1500 pickup ran over him and snapped his rear femur. It was surgically repaired and if you never knew it happened, you wouldn't be able to see any effects from it. We were always worried about how arthritis would become an issue as he got older, but the thought of bone cancer never really crossed our minds.
He lost about 25-30 pounds over the past 3-4 months and suddenly using his right rear leg was a problem. His condition worsened to the point where his life was laying down all day, awake or not, and just moving from one comfortable spot to another. We had beds in 4 different locations for him around the house. His quality of life became nothing compared to all the traveling we did with him, the days at the dog park, walks along the river trails, swimming in the pond at the college, etc.
He was the best- a gentle soul who's unconditional love touched many lives. He will be missed.

We had to say goodbye to Chief yesterday. He was a year old when a Chevy 1500 pickup ran over him and snapped his rear femur. It was surgically repaired and if you never knew it happened, you wouldn't be able to see any effects from it. We were always worried about how arthritis would become an issue as he got older, but the thought of bone cancer never really crossed our minds.
He lost about 25-30 pounds over the past 3-4 months and suddenly using his right rear leg was a problem. His condition worsened to the point where his life was laying down all day, awake or not, and just moving from one comfortable spot to another. We had beds in 4 different locations for him around the house. His quality of life became nothing compared to all the traveling we did with him, the days at the dog park, walks along the river trails, swimming in the pond at the college, etc.
He was the best- a gentle soul who's unconditional love touched many lives. He will be missed.

Sorry to hear that, it's just like loosing a Family member.

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Very sorry for your loss These guys are truly family

Reactions: Anybodyhome
Our little girl on the Oregon coast for the first time

0ADF03AA-15F3-4533-BB65-299B68A59085.jpeg

B46DADA0-F7C2-4C60-9A7D-0134115FA4A2.jpeg

Late to the party but getting my Jeep and my dogs about the same time was rhe beat thing I ever did! They love the beach and I love watching them just play, lounge, everything. Zeus and Lexi, they operate with each other like Deniro and Pesci....
Best part is the smiles on their faces when we get home. Almost like saying "that will teach ya"
Thank you! File was apparently too big.... Gonna aim "noob" on that one....
This is after a rainy outing. Love these pups.

Resized_20220324_125901(1).jpeg

Resized_20220324_125910.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about losing your pup. I had to put two down a few years ago . Lived very long happy lives.
Dog park everyday and lots of love . It's tough when they grow old or get sick. Chief isn't in any pain
anymore and that's what's important . They really do become a family member and 100 percent
uncondional love. So sorry .

Sorry about losing your pup. I had to put two down a few years ago . Lived very long happy lives.
Dog park everyday and lots of love . It's tough when they grow old or get sick. Chief isn't in any pain
anymore and that's what's important . They really do become a family member and 100 percent
uncondional love. So sorry .
Been a year today and I still get tears. I'll raise a glass to him tonight. This is about a month before he left us and Cooper, about 3 months in this photo, I think knew he wasn't much longer for this world and really just hung out with him.

Chief and Cooper.jpg
The Boys.jpg

Here's Cooper with his other big brother, Master

Been a year today and I still get tears. I'll raise a glass to him tonight. This is about a month before he left us and Cooper, about 3 months in this photo, I think knew he wasn't much longer for this world and really just hung out with him.

I'll raise a glass for ya too.

Reactions: mrjp
It took me awhile to post in here. This is Boston. We literally found him with his 3 brothers and sisters in a box along the highway. He was the only one to survive the night. The vet told us there was a very slim chance he would live to make it another night. Well... he made it 14 years. In those 14 years he has done literally almost everything a human has done. One of his favorite things to do was to take a ride the WJ and go into the mountains to a spring so he could swim. Sadly, we lost him on Thanksgiving of last year from a tumor. We haven't been the same since.

Fast forward to today. In Boston's memory, Meet Fenway. He's a purebred Golden Retriever who's 10 weeks old. He doesn't quite like riding in the Jk yet but we're slowly working on it.

20191124_123500.jpg

20220515_104406.jpg

IMG953324.jpg

IMG_3482.jpg

View attachment 121367View attachment 121368

Here's Cooper with his other big brother, Master
Very sweet . I hear you about the tears . Had something in my eye while going over this thread . The emotional bond we build with our 4 legged friends is very strong & special . Often stronger than the bond we have with humans .