How big can I go on stock suspension 255/70/R18

Saharalife_

Hi there!

I’m new to the Jeep world and would love some advice on how big I can go on wheels and tires for my 2016 Jeep Sahara on stock suspension. The current wheel dimensions are 32” 255/70/R18.

I’m thinking about getting 33” tires, 275/65/R18. Or Rubicon take offs 32” 285/70/R17. Is this possible?

If you have a similar Jeep and went bigger, how much bigger did you go on stock suspension? Is it safer if I get it lifted/spacers?

Would love some advice! Thank you!
☮️ ✌🏽

I’ve attached some photos of my Jeep and tire comparison.

B9991825-0A0A-498E-B6E6-79CE1118B3EF.png

A53C570B-C850-43AB-86C7-C4637568B74C.jpeg

6D1FD236-2A38-4E35-A2DB-717703C0976A.png

You can go to 35's if you're willing to have some rubbing. A little if it's a mall crawler, a fair bit if it's a rock crawler. Less if you do a bit of trimming.
You're better off adding a lift.
Spacers are evil and must be destroyed.

• Dislike
Reactions: BigAL07
They should fit, that is what my wife had on her Sahara. They rubbed the anti-sway bar and full lock. I installed some washers behind the stop bolt which took care of that. Now she has an entire different wheel setup so the washers have been removed.

Now @Dirty Dog , all spacers are not created equal. I ran Spidertrax for a while and the hub-centric design makes them quite capable and if installed right and maintained, just as solid as any other part bolted on to the Jeep. That said, you are much better off getting wheels with the proper backspacing if you want to run wider tires. 🍻

As far as height, on a 2dr 35's fit easy if you do a little trimming, but you won't have the best articulation.
This is from an old Jp Magazine article... (a little dated and the prices are wrong for anything but "Free" likely :) )

Free
Trim your flares
Spend some time with a utility knife and cut your Wrangler's goofy dumbo ears off. By trimming about 3 inches off the plastic flare as shown, a two-door will have no problems clearing 35-inch tires. A four-door will be able to clear the 35s, but might end up with some rubbing at full flex.

Under $100

Bumpstop it
Sure, you'll lose some uptravel, but a stock-height two-door can accept 35-inch tires with no lift and no trimming. However, the tires will eat the un-trimmed flares. Toss a set of longer bumpstops or bumpstop extensions in it like this kit from Off Road Evolution and you will be able to keep your tires out of your fenders. The company states that if you are running a four-door, you will need to trim the flares or lift it.

Under $200
Spaced-out
A spacer lift is suggested as a low-buck way to clear 35s by many lift-kit manufacturers. The Daystar exact-fit polyurethane coil spring spacers can actually lower interior noise levels by providing additional insulation between the spring and the frame. The kit comes with 13/4-inch spacers for front and rear and includes rear sway bar spacers to avoid exhaust interference.

Under $300
Performance
The Performance Accessories 4-inch lift is a combo of body and suspension lift. It includes reinforced nylon body blocks, front spring spacers to level your Jeep, a CNC- machined steering extension, and urethane Gap Guards to cover the gap between the body and frame. You will easily be able to fit 35-inch tires with this simple-to-install kit. It's so far under $300, you can even have it shipped to your door and still not break three bills.

Under $500
Mildly lifted
The SST mild lift kit from Readylift will lift the front of the JK 3 inches and the rear 2 inches. Tough powdercoated steel coil spring spacers work in conjunction with a rear track bar bracket. The kit also includes front and rear shock extensions to retain your factory ride and handling. Front and rear bumpstop extensions and all needed hardware are also included.

Under $600
Flat-top Bush
The flat-style fender flares from Bushwacker are the best-looking fender flares for the JK we've seen. They look better than the stock parts, include 50-state-legal LED side marker lights,and are made from 100 percent UV-protected TPO material. They are flexible so that a tree or rock hit won't mangle your sheetmetal, and they provide enough clearance for 35s.

Coiled
For $600 you also have the option of putting a Rubicon Express standard lift kit under your Jeep. The kit includes new springs, an adjustable front track bar, front and rear cam bolts for caster and pinion angle adjustment, brake line relocation brackets, a rear track bar bracket, and extended rear sway bar end links. The 31/2-inch-lift kit can easily be upgraded to the company's Super-Flex system down the road.

Under $1,100
Raid it
You'll have to snag them on sale, but the tube fenders from River Raider can clear 35s and are available in either bare steel or GatorHyde finish. It resembles a textured powdercoat, but is far more durable. The fenders are made from 11/2-inch DOM tube and heavy-gauge steel plate. All the hardware and spacers needed for installation are included.

Under $1,200

Aired out
If you are planning to put some cash down for a long-arm system down the road and just want to clear 35s in the meantime, look at Off Road Evolution's RockStop AirBump systems. They are fully adjustable, heavy-duty, and you can use them to keep the 35s out of your fenders now. They will be an awesome match for later when you've gone full-gonzo with the lift kit, regardless of what size tire and lift you end up running.

Under $1,500

Aluminize it
These direct-replacement fender flares from Gen-Right Off Road will take all the abuse you want to throw at them, and they are stout enough that you can use them as bumpstops. Not that we'd advocate such a thing, but we've been known to do just that until the money came around to extend our bumpstops. They are available in either 3/16-inch-thick aluminum or 1/8-inch-thick steel. The aluminum flares pictured are under $1,500, while the set in steel will run under $1,000.

Now @Dirty Dog , all spacers are not created equal. I ran Spidertrax for a while and the hub-centric design makes them quite capable and if installed right and maintained, just as solid as any other part bolted on to the Jeep. That said, you are much better off getting wheels with the proper backspacing if you want to run wider tires. 🍻
It's not a matter of being solid. It's a matter of screwing up the alignment and load angles, causing premature wear and failure of other suspension components. And sometimes seeing your wheel pass you on the highway as you try to come to a controlled stop on the remaining three wheels.

Just because that doesn't happen every time, doesn't mean spacers are not a horrible idea. After all, only 1 in 3 smokers die a horrible death from lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease and so forth. But cigarettes are still horrible.

Just get wheels that fit properly in the first place. Trying to do it on the cheap will just cost you more in the long run, in parts, medical bills, and funeral expenses.

• Dislike
It's not a matter of being solid. It's a matter of screwing up the alignment and load angles, causing premature wear and failure of other suspension components. And sometimes seeing your wheel pass you on the highway as you try to come to a controlled stop on the remaining three wheels.

Just because that doesn't happen every time, doesn't mean spacers are not a horrible idea. After all, only 1 in 3 smokers die a horrible death from lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease and so forth. But cigarettes are still horrible.

Just get wheels that fit properly in the first place. Trying to do it on the cheap will just cost you more in the long run, in parts, medical bills, and funeral expenses.
Your arguments regarding everything but the runaway wheel could apply to wheels with a different offset from the factory. As far as the wheel leaving,.. hey, not gonna argue, that's why the 🍻 emoji, and I agree that proper backspacing on the wheels is the correct solution.