Hey From Montana, New Owner, New to Jeeps

If it was mine i'd take the diff covers off and inspect the gears and check for water in there. Then on the edge of the ring gear is the tooth count for the R&P.

Yet another dumb question, I ASS-U-ME this thing has both a F&R diff as well as a transfer case, and in order to regear, I'd have to change the gearsets in both diff's?

Yet another dumb question, I ASS-U-ME this thing has both a F&R diff as well as a transfer case, and in order to regear, I'd have to change the gearsets in both diff's?

If you don't need the 4x4 you could just do the rear gear change. Another option would be looking for a used set of axles, could be cheaper.

If you don't need the 4x4 you could just do the rear gear change. Another option would be looking for a used set of axles, could be cheaper.
If you do this, be sure an disconnect the transfer case linkage so as to make it impossible to put it in 4WD when the gear sets don't match.

Last edited:
The first thing to determine is what your use case is for that as a second vehicle. Only you can answer that question. All long distance highway, short trips under 55mph, no off-road, 100% off-road, everyday usage, once a month usage, etc?

You get the picture... It may very well be already setup just how you need - once you get the trans fixed.

My guess is you may not need to regear from what you have unless that vehicle is going to be a dedicated highway cruiser. If you drive 65 or under you'll never go over 2600ish in overdrive, based on your 3000rpm at 75mph observation.

The good news is the seller will warranty the tranny; bad news is the truck needs to be in Houston, which is about 1850 miles. Helluva tow, LOL. We're negotiating other options.....

Question: Are the door cards for the power windows the same as the cards for the rollup windows? This truck had rollup windows and they were converted to power windows but the only switches are on the dash, and I'd like to have switches on the door cards too. I could add them to the existing doors but it would look messy.

The OEM switches are the ones in the dash.
So there's no OEM switches on the doors for passengers to raise/lower the windows? Same with door locks?

This JKU has door locking that operates only from an aftermarket fob; the standard ignition key fob doesn't operate them anymore, nor is there a master switch anywhere on the dash or driver's controls that I've found that operates all the door locks.

The good news is that the seller will have the Jeep transported back to Houston & have the tranny & TQ replaced, all at no cost to me and I'll fly to Houston & drive it back to Montana when it's ready.

Same with door locks?
Door locks are only on the door panel under the latch. For the front, windows are only on the center console. I don't have a JKU so can't speak to the rear windows...

Good news about the tranny! While it's there ask them to verify the final drive ratio if you haven't done so already...

So there's no OEM switches on the doors for passengers to raise/lower the windows? Same with door locks?

This JKU has door locking that operates only from an aftermarket fob; the standard ignition key fob doesn't operate them anymore, nor is there a master switch anywhere on the dash or driver's controls that I've found that operates all the door locks.
Door locks are on each door, by the handle. Window controls for all four doors are on the dash. Rear seat window controls are on the rear of the center console.

Here are some pics of my doors & the switches mounted into my dash:

IMG_007641 (Small).jpg
IMG_007638 (Small).jpg
IMG_007639 (Small).jpg

This JKU was converted from rollup windows to electric but the conversion wasn't very clean. I'd like to add some window switches to the rear doors so am curious what the factory electric window controls look like, particularly for the rear passengers?

Thought I had a pic of the rear view of console, taken from the back seat, but there's no switches on the rear. @Dirty Dog, would you have a pic showing these rear of console switches?

Edit: Found a pic of the rear of the console:

IMG_007642 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog
Hey all, my '07 JKU is still sitting here in Montana as we haven't been able to get a transporter lined up to return it to Houston. Something about -26 degrees, a foot of snow & icy roads seems to discourage these guys from coming out here...

Anyway..... the dealer in Houston is implying I was indirectly "at fault" for the transmission failure because of the heater hose bursting & losing coolant. He seems to think the OEM tranny cooler is part of the radiator, however from everything I've been able to find on the web, my '07 JKU with the 3.8 & A/T has a factory tranny cooler sitting in front of the radiator and it only has tranny fluid running through it and it's air cooled, so It's not a coolant-to-ATF type heat exchanger.

Can any of you experts confirm this? It's a little too chilly to be poking around the engine bay of the Jeep at the moment. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Anyway..... the dealer in Houston is implying I was indirectly "at fault" for the transmission failure because of the heater hose bursting & losing coolant.
Why am I not surprised? Go back and re-read my Stealership comments. :(
He seems to think the OEM tranny cooler is part of the radiator, however from everything I've been able to find on the web, my '07 JKU with the 3.8 & A/T has a factory tranny cooler sitting in front of the radiator and it only has tranny fluid running through it and it's air cooled, so It's not a coolant-to-ATF type heat exchanger.

Can any of you experts confirm this? It's a little too chilly to be poking around the engine bay of the Jeep at the moment. Thanks in advance!
The transmission cooler is down at the bottom of the AC condenser. There is no coolant connection. If you look, you'll notice that this puts it pretty much directly behind the bumper, which I would think sort of limits air flow to the heat exchanger, and, thus, limits effectiveness. I would strongly encourage you to NOT replace it. Get an aftermarket cooler that can be mounted in a place that will actually have air flow.

Here is the picture you requested. You can see the rear seat power window switches at the top. The things at the bottom are some USB outlets I added. Yes, it's dirty. No, I don't care.
IMG_6846[1].JPG

Why am I not surprised? Go back and re-read my Stealership comments.

Yea, but he's still willing to warranty the tranny & pay for the transporter out of his pocket, if we can ever find one willing to brave this weather...

The transmission cooler is down at the bottom of the AC condenser. There is no coolant connection. If you look, you'll notice that this puts it pretty much directly behind the bumper, which I would think sort of limits air flow to the heat exchanger, and, thus, limits effectiveness. I would strongly encourage you to NOT replace it. Get an aftermarket cooler that can be mounted in a place that will actually have air flow.

Thanks for the confirmation & recommendation.

Here is the picture you requested. You can see the rear seat power window switches at the top. The things at the bottom are some USB outlets I added. Yes, it's dirty. No, I don't care.

Thanks for that & I'll probably do the same as you & put a USB there as well as 1-2 up front. I was actually embarrassed to post the pic of my dirty console but yours tops mine!

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Yea, but he's still willing to warranty the tranny & pay for the transporter out of his pocket, if we can ever find one willing to brave this weather...
So he says...
Thanks for that & I'll probably do the same as you & put a USB there as well as 1-2 up front. I was actually embarrassed to post the pic of my dirty console but yours tops mine!
I have two Great Pyrenees, a Border/Pyr, a Cairn Terrier, and 17 grandkids. Any combination of those that fit might be back there. My dogs don't shed. Those are happiness fibers.

They cancelled the school buses twice this week, and this winter is mild. I remember in the 70s when the experts said an Ice Age was coming. We were lucky if the High School was closed once in any given year here.
P1010206.JPG
Lawyers and lawsuits now I guess?