Hard shift in and out of 2nd gear

BrGoforth83

Hello,

2009 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. 192k Automatic transmission. 130k

Been having issues with it hard shifting in and out of 2nd gear.

It only does this about the first two times after starting up and driving the vehicle. If I drive the jeep all day and do not shut it off the problem does not persist, but the monent I shut the jeep off, start it up again, and then begin to drive it hard shifts again about 2 times and then never does it again, until I start this process all over again.

Not sure if this has something to do with it but... There is also a WaWaWa sound coming from transmission or somewhere very close. It's tempo is congruent with the rpms and not the speed of the vehicle(it's not the tires or bearings) This WaWaWa is not always there but is there more often than not. Just odd that it comes and goes. 🤔

The shift from 1st into 2nd is quite harsh - a few times it's chirped the tires. The shift from 2nd into 3rd is much more mild, but is still hard enough that it raises some concern.

After the first two initial hard shifts are played out, as stated in the first paragraph, the transmission shifts smooth as can be for the remainder of the drive.

There is no whining when shifting.

I have replaced the PCM(partly because I was having other issues that are now fixed)
Replaced the transmission a couple of months ago(it was used and had 120k on it) the oil had been completely drained and filter changed out before the install.
Several sensors like MAP, MAF, O2 etc... have been replaced as well.

Any information or wisdom on what this could be or IS will be GREATLY appreciated! 🙏✌️

I've heard of a bad transmission temperature sensor causing hard shifting from 1st to 2nd. Is the Jeep holding 1st gear longer than normal?

Reactions: BrGoforth83
That's one sensor I haven't gotten to yet!

It doesn't seem to be shifting late, if anything it shifts early because even though I am aware that the hard shift coming it still slightly catches me off guard each time 🥴😅

Screenshot from the interwebs... ignore the arrow. Anyone know what the circled area is? Got under there to look yesterday, and the the red clip on the side is broken off making for a weak connection. Pushed the harness back in and haven't had an issue sense.

Screenshot_20220809-151459_Google.jpg

Screenshot from the interwebs... ignore the arrow. Anyone know what the circled area is? Got under there to look yesterday, and the the red clip on the side is broken off making for a weak connection. Pushed the harness back in and haven't had an issue sense.

View attachment 121822

That's probably the electronics for the shifting if you haven't had anymore trouble.

I'm purdy sure it's your variable line pressure harness. Next to that should be your transmission range sensor/temperature sensor. The sensor with the arrow should be your output speed sensor. The same looking 1 to the left should be your input speed sensor.

I'm purdy sure it's your variable line pressure harness. Next to that should be your transmission range sensor/temperature sensor. The sensor with the arrow should be your output speed sensor. The same looking 1 to the left should be your input speed sensor.
Appreciate it!!!

I am not sure but I am thinking there should be a red tab that pushes in on the plug. Similar to the picture below, it slides in and out.

41EB797E-A320-49F3-9A75-E8D06A197B76.jpeg

Reactions: BrGoforth83