Harbor Freight Badlands Apex Winch

I would never run a HB winch. I have seen several fail completely. Winches are used for recovery, that’s the last time you want something to fail. The new apex one I thought this one might be different, engineered better…nope. Several are failing and literally cracking under heavy load. You cares about a warranty when it leaves you stranded.

I would never run a HB winch. I have seen several fail completely. Winches are used for recovery, that’s the last time you want something to fail. The new apex one I thought this one might be different, engineered better…nope. Several are failing and literally cracking under heavy load. You cares about a warranty when it leaves you stranded.
I have used mine consistently over the past (almost) two years and never had an issue. Probably has more to due with user error than the product. The old ones had electrical issues, but they improved this one a lot.

Negative feedback always shines brighter when that's what you are looking for.

Reactions: Danarch
I have used mine consistently over the past (almost) two years and never had an issue. Probably has more to due with user error than the product. The old ones had electrical issues, but they improved this one a lot.

Negative feedback always shines brighter when that's what you are looking for.
You have gotten lucky then. I was with my Grandpa 3 times at the cabin attempting to pull people out stuck in the snow. He is on his 4th HB winch and each time was complete gear failure, not electrical.

I thought they fix issues with the new generation:

Doesn’t look like it. I am not usually a neigh sayer and kinda let everyone do their own thing without voicing an opposing opinion. Winches are used for recovery, sometimes in lifeline situations. Would never trust my life or anyone I know to that junk. I want people to know what I know so that when they go to purchase something like that, they know what risk they are signing up for. Not just something inexpensive that looks cool and rated by mostly people who have probably never used it under real recovery situations and gave it a rating out of the box because HB sent them an email to do so right away. I hope you are one of the fortunate ones

You have gotten lucky then. I was with my Grandpa 3 times at the cabin attempting to pull people out stuck in the snow. He is on his 4th HB winch and each time was complete gear failure, not electrical.

I thought they fix issues with the new generation:

Doesn’t look like it. I am not usually a neigh sayer and kinda let everyone do their own thing without voicing an opposing opinion. Winches are used for recovery, sometimes in lifeline situations. Would never trust my life or anyone I know to that junk. I want people to know what I know so that when they go to purchase something like that, they know what risk they are signing up for. Not just something inexpensive that looks cool and rated by mostly people who have probably never used it under real recovery situations and gave it a rating out of the box because HB sent them an email to do so right away. I hope you are one of the fortunate ones
Yeah, I've seen the wranglerstar video. That's a misuse of the equipment.

Last edited:
I disagree to some degree and think that is should be able to handle that pull. I can post several other links of failure for that winch.

Recovery situations are usually less than ideal and don’t always allow for a straight pull even with a snatch block. You want something that is reliable and durable, that isn’t designed with structural flaws.

Anyway don’t want to beat a dead horse. Just warning people before they go that route and will continue to until they come out with something quality. One failure, it can happen, 3 in a row… nope.

Reactions: mrjp
Don't go cheap on rescue equipment. You need to know it's going to be the for you when you need it.

Reactions: mrjp