Grinding sound from a stop and then turning

11JKUSaharaTan

Hey everyone, new here, I am intermittently hearing a loud grinding sound from my jk. It started a few weeks ago and does not happen super frequently and can’t get to duplicate all the time. It happens most frequently when I am coming from a stop and turning but not all the time. When it happens it only last for about 5 seconds and stops and doesn’t occur again for typically the rest of the drive. I had taken it to a local Jeep mechanic and they pulled the rear diff out and said everything was fine there. They had said that it’s most likely an issue in the transmission but that they would need to pull the pan out and inspect to verify and didn’t have the time to that day. The transmission shifts fine and pulls itself in drive on flat surface. I plan to take it back and have them pull the transmission pan off and inspect, but curious if anyone else has had this issue before? My wrangler is a 2011 Sahara Unlimited with 154k on it

Thanks for the tip, I’ll check that out. Any idea how loud that would sound? The sound I hear is very loud

I've had them go bad on my old Dodge Ram Diesel, it was loud so I didn't hear any noise from the bearings when they went out. But I did have Death Wobble and then I knew something was wrong.

You'll have to back off the brake [pads away from the rotor then put the tire back on and try moving the wheel up and down and side to side and see if you have any movement.

Not sure if related or not. My wife’s Jeep had a grinding sound when going from a stop. Found out one of the heat shields was rubbing. Only happened when going from a stop. I had a little rock get wedged between the exhaust crossover and the skid plate which made a grinding noise from a stop.

After a lifetime of troubleshooting various types of machinery, I learned to check the fuse first. That means to start with the quick and simple possibilities first. Too many mechanics want to rebuild your engine when the problem was a dirty air filter.

I'd be inclined to look at the brakes first.
Yep, I'm with @Anybodyhome. I had to replace a caliper last year that had frozen. It happened slow enough where I didn't notice the loss of power. Pads were fine.

To be a fly on the wall of what the previous owner did with this jeep, considering the strange things that have happened since I bought it.

Not sure if related or not. My wife’s Jeep had a grinding sound when going from a stop. Found out one of the heat shields was rubbing. Only happened when going from a stop. I had a little rock get wedged between the exhaust crossover and the skid plate which made a grinding noise from a stop.
I think they are called dust and crap ( my winter hell ) shields. Lots of Johnny Cash out of tune harmonics coming from mine years ago, I ripped them off.