Got hood flutter?

Mikester86

I have heard of hood flutter, and experienced it for the first time yesterday. But it was not the hood flutter I have read about, it was more of a hood lift. I did not feel any noticeable difference while it was happening, I only watched the driver side of the hood lift up for a few moments then settle back down.

I was going about 60 M.P.H. eastbound on a 2 lane road and a flat fronted semi was going westbound. As we passed, the hood levitation happened. I really did not want to believe my eyes, as I know how firmly the hood latches lock the hood down. But apparently, those suckers will stretch allowing the hood to rise in the right situation.

Not sure it is worth looking to replace the factory hood latches yet, as it only happened once.

I've oddly never experienced this, even at 80 MPH plus highway speeds.

I had heard that the side vents on the fenders of the new JL were added as a means of eliminating hood flutter.

I have heard of some people switching to aftermarket hood latches that supposedly cure this. I however want to believe that maybe the engineers actually designed the factory hood latches to stretch.

For this reason I have not replaced the factory hood latches and do not plan to. This is one of those instances where I'm not going to try and "out engineer" the engineers. It's possible that the hood flutter is actually something they knew about when designing it.

Reactions: Mikester86
I've oddly never experienced this, even at 80 MPH plus highway speeds.

I had heard that the side vents on the fenders of the new JL were added as a means of eliminating hood flutter.

I have heard of some people switching to aftermarket hood latches that supposedly cure this. I however want to believe that maybe the engineers actually designed the factory hood latches to stretch.

For this reason I have not replaced the factory hood latches and do not plan to. This is one of those instances where I'm not going to try and "out engineer" the engineers. It's possible that the hood flutter is actually something they knew about when designing it.

I do not personally think stretching hood latches was necessary engineered. The JL has better latches and vents that should eliminate hood flutter, leading my thought process to see hood flutter as a concern of theirs. Not sure why it was never addressed in the JK era.

Hood flutter is not a welcomed addition to Jeep Wrangler ownership, and stretching latches lend itself well to this phenomenon. Like I said, I only experienced it once, like you, have driven too fast too furious and never experienced it. Than BAM, it happened! :)

Here is an option;

I can't even take this seriously with that guys cover photo lol.

These work well from what I'm told:

They have 498 reviews, so it's worth checking them out.

I have had the hood flutter
Me neither, and I've driven them pretty fast too!
I have experienced it many times, I read a post on WF from a guy who’s hood flipped up that the NHTSA has been looking into it with FCA and they are focusing mostly on Hard Rock hoods where there have been 2 failures, his was one of them.

Reactions: Mikester86
I have had the hood flutter

I have experienced it many times, I read a post on WF from a guy who’s hood flipped up that the NHTSA has been looking into it with FCA and they are focusing mostly on Hard Rock hoods where there have been 2 failures, his was one of them.

Damn, that would be scary as hell!

I wonder what it is that causes this on a Wrangler as oppose to other vehicles. Something to do with the aerodynamics I would guess.

My understanding is that drilling is involved to upgrade to the JL hood latches.

I'm not sure the hood flutter is a big enough problem for them to address it. I don't know how many people have had the issue versus how many haven't for instance.

My understanding is that drilling is involved to upgrade to the JL hood latches.

I'm not sure the hood flutter is a big enough problem for them to address it. I don't know how many people have had the issue versus how many haven't for instance.
I have watched the hoods “flutter” on various Jeeps for over 45 years. I even for got to fasten hood latches once, and drove on freeway. The hood bounce, but safety catch kept it from coming open. It would take three failures for hood to fly up, just sayin

Reactions: Bubslipknot101
I have watched the hoods “flutter” on various Jeeps for over 45 years. I even for got to fasten hood latches once, and drove on freeway. The hood bounce, but safety catch kept it from coming open. It would take three failures for hood to fly up, just sayin
I've definitely heard of hood flutter quite a bit. I've just never heard of one actually coming up until you mentioned it above. Not saying I don't believe it, just saying that I hadn't heard of it until now.

It’s possible that the design flexibility of the hood latch has more to do with the off-road usage of the Jeep.
The old spring loaded CJ latch was replaced with a simple rubberized latch in a good fashion.
1580382127091.png
1580382268725.png
it's engineering at it's best if you ask me.

I think it depends on where you live too as well as how your highways run (N to S or E to W).

I get hood flutter quite a bit in certain parts of our state. There is one stretch of highway as I am going up into our national forest were I know it is about to happen and say "here we go". lol.

As someone with a Recon (hard rock) hood, I will be upgrading my latches eventually.

It for sure has something to do where aerodynamics, when the wind hits the grill it shoots it straight up (the wind that doesn't go through the slots) when the grill ends there is a very dramatic stop where the hood starts and there is a tiny gap there (even with the seals) and the wind catches that just enough to where it can go under the hood.

I think this is also why they slanted the JL grill slightly at the top, less of a sharp angle and the wind should flow over better.