Front and Rear Track Bars

JKSpartan

drop-down menu.
I have a 2.5 inch lift on my 2017 JKU and since being installed. My jeep rides extremely rough. There can drive over a small crack in the road and it shake not so much in the steering wheel, however my tires jump around. So I am thinking it is the track bars. Do I need a front drop bracket for that or will it just bolt right up for the adjustable teraflex front and rear track bar?

drop-down menu.
I have a 2.5 inch lift on my 2017 JKU and since being installed. My jeep rides extremely rough. There can drive over a small crack in the road and it shake not so much in the steering wheel, however my tires jump around. So I am thinking it is the track bars. Do I need a front drop bracket for that or will it just bolt right up for the adjustable teraflex front and rear track bar?

You don't need a drop bracket when you have adjustable track bars, the bouncing could be your tire pressure.

Yea that was my first thought on tire pressure however that was not the case as my TP was the same on all 4 and was at the right pressure. Thank you for your feedback.

Yea that was my first thought on tire pressure however that was not the case as my TP was the same on all 4 and was at the right pressure. Thank you for your feedback.

What are you calling the right tire pressure what it calls for on the tire?

Reactions: mrjp
The max psi rating on the sidewall is often way too high for a JK and will deliver a really harsh ride, with unpredictable steering response over rough areas. My Ntto's are 35" Load Range "E" and have a max load of 3195lbs @ 65psi per tire. No way do I run that high a pressure on the highway. If I did, I would abnormally wear out the center tread since I don't have near enough weight on each tire. The best way to determine the right pressure for YOUR vehicle outfitted as YOU have it, is to run a line of chalk across the tread, drive a bit and see where it is worn away. If you start at what the max pressure is, you'll probably need to let out some air and rerun the test a few times.

As a comparison, I run about 25psi in my two door on the street. I think @BLACKJKU is on to something with the tire pressure.

Good luck.

Jerry

I would get the alignment checked and insure caster is correct and depending on your tire size try lowering your tire pressure to about 28 to 30 psi
Yup, caster can mess up tracking as well. Never a bad idea to get an alignment after and changes to suspension/steering.

The max psi rating on the sidewall is often way too high for a JK and will deliver a really harsh ride, with unpredictable steering response over rough areas. My Ntto's are 35" Load Range "E" and have a max load of 3195lbs @ 65psi per tire. No way do I run that high a pressure on the highway. If I did, I would abnormally wear out the center tread since I don't have near enough weight on each tire. The best way to determine the right pressure for YOUR vehicle outfitted as YOU have it, is to run a line of chalk across the tread, drive a bit and see where it is worn away. If you start at what the max pressure is, you'll probably need to let out some air and rerun the test a few times.

As a comparison, I run about 25psi in my two door on the street. I think @BLACKJKU is on to something with the tire pressure.

Good luck.

Jerry
Thank you Jerry, I will differently give that a try, sorry for the delay response been busy with work all week. I have also installed the front and rear track bars, as they came in on Wednesday, I did that yesterday when I had some down time from work, and I took it out for a spin afterwards, and a huge difference in the drive. However, on the tire pressure. I am running at 39 psi on all 4. I will different do this test. I can tell you after installing those track bars, it does not do what it was doing at all anymore.

Yup, caster can mess up tracking as well. Never a bad idea to get an alignment after and changes to suspension/steering.
Yea, the shop that installed the lift kit, stated they did an alignment as they have that at this custom shop. However, I was already worried about the caster up front, and I was told you did not need to worry about that unless you are going with a 3 inch or higher lift, however I knew that was going to be crap from the start. Anyhooo water under the bridge on that now, and I was going to replace, control arms, drag link, tie rod anyway from stock to something beefer any ways. I am just waiting on the control arms to come in now. Hope I can get to it this weekend, not sure that I can, with mother's day being this weekend, my wife would cut my head off if I am out working on my jeep all weekend lol....

What are you calling the right tire pressure what it calls for on the tire?
Hi BlackJKU,

Yea you are probably right. I am going to look into this as well. Just to see about the tire pressure, going to run some test. I do appreciate everyone's feedback. This has been really helpful. After the front and rear track bar installed I did yesterday, it is driving a lot better.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
yeah, a 2.5 lift really doesn't need many of the more expensive adjustable components which is why that is what is on my jeep. As many have stated, tire pressure for larger tires is a huge component of ride quality. I run around 28 psi on my 33s.

39 psi sounds horrible.

yeah, a 2.5 lift really doesn't need many of the more expensive adjustable components which is why that is what is on my jeep. As many have stated, tire pressure for larger tires is a huge component of ride quality. I run around 28 psi on my 33s.

39 psi sounds horrible.
Hi MacGuyner,

Thank you for your response. Yea I put adjustable track bars, as in the long run, well in a few years I will be going up on the lift and putting on 37's as this will be around this time frame of making this my camping/overlanding rig. Currently is it my daily driver. I am getting new tie rod, drag link, and adjustable control arms next week. I have the parts, I just don't have a lift or to make it easier to install. Plus, over the next several weeks, I will have limited time on doing any work to my jeep, just going to let someone else do it. Thank you for your feedback....

Thank you Jerry, I will differently give that a try, sorry for the delay response been busy with work all week. I have also installed the front and rear track bars, as they came in on Wednesday, I did that yesterday when I had some down time from work, and I took it out for a spin afterwards, and a huge difference in the drive. However, on the tire pressure. I am running at 39 psi on all 4. I will different do this test. I can tell you after installing those track bars, it does not do what it was doing at all anymore.
39 seems very high.
I have 35" Toyo Open Country MTs and I run them around 28 in the hotter months and 30 in the winter. At 35-36 psi every bump feels like the whole front end is getting away from me.

Reactions: mrjp and JKSpartan
39 seems very high.
I have 35" Toyo Open Country MTs and I run them around 28 in the hotter months and 30 in the winter. At 35-36 psi every bump feels like the whole front end is getting away from me.
Hi Anybodyhome,

Thank you for this information, yea I am about to drop the PSI on it in a few minutes, go driving around afterwards see what I get.

Hi Anybodyhome,

Thank you for this information, yea I am about to drop the PSI on it in a few minutes, go driving around afterwards see what I get.
Remember you'll need to reset or disable your TPM system, otherwise you're going to have non-stop tire low-pressure warnings.

Remember you'll need to reset or disable your TPM system, otherwise you're going to have non-stop tire low-pressure warnings.
There is a setting on the jscan app that allows for there to be a range for the preassure. goes off if too high or too low. Mine is set to something like 23 - 32 or so... been awhile since I looked. At least that is what I think it does. It was the setting that made the TPM light the least annoying without turning it off.

I'm in the same boat as Jerry. I ran 25 psi on 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, and 37" Toyo Open Country MT after a chalk test on my 4 door. With 32+ psi, the Jeep bounces all over the road.