Exhaust cross member heat shield

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Replacing my son’s catalytic converters. The existing system has a heat shield on the cross member. The new one does not and comes in two pieces and joins up at the Y into the exhaust pipe to the muffler, so certainly need to install it all then have the heat shield welded on. Do any of you have a thought if the heat shield should be reinstalled / required to be installed? If so will take to a shop to weld it on, I am not going to try and mess up the system spent 3K on (good old CA). If it should be put back on we will need to wait to re-install the skid plates.

IMG_5922.jpeg

Reactions: Speartip
Couldn’t you use a header wrap for the same effect without all the hassle?

Thanks. They did cross my mind to use the wrap. I don’t know anything about it causing the pipes to rust. At least CA is not as prone to rusting issues from weather. I know rust from water etc yes but it may be slower to rust being in CA.

Thanks. They did cross my mind to use the wrap. I don’t know anything about it causing the pipes to rust. At least CA is not as prone to rusting issues from weather. I know rust from water etc yes but it may be slower to rust being in CA.

My experience is with motorcycle header pipes and the pipe wrap retaining water in contact with the metal, rusting them out in short order. I'd spend the extra $20 to have the shield welded back on.

My experience is with motorcycle header pipes and the pipe wrap retaining water in contact with the metal, rusting them out in short order. I'd spend the extra $20 to have the shield welded back on.

Thank you for the info. I am giving the kid ideas, it’s his Jeep. I agree I’d pay someone to tack weld it on. I’d try but I’m not the greatest welder and done want to mess up his new system.

Reactions: Snowbird Tom
Is it possible to remove the shield without damaging it? If so you should be able to maybe use hose clamps to fasten it on the new pipe.

Is it possible to remove the shield without damaging it? If so you should be able to maybe use hose clamps to fasten it on the new pipe.

That is a good idea. I cut the old off so he would have it in he wanted someone to weld it back on and not have to buy one. I will recommend it to him. We will need to cut it as the new system is in two parts and there is a clamp at the cross member. But it will deflect most of the heat down and away from transmission and body of the Jeep. There shouldn’t be any rubbing or grinding noises from the shield sitting on the pipe as they would move together, at least I think they should.

It’s my understanding and experience that the wrap absorbs water and causes pipes to rust out rather quickly.

When I first read was thinking the same thing . Header Heat wrap .
But the wrap absorbing moisture and causing premature rust could be a thing . On the other hand the pipe being hot could dry out moisture pretty quickly.
IDK for sure just speculating

Reactions: Danarch
To give more clearance for the skid plate . Where the crossover pipe joins together use exhaust band clamps it will leave you a bit more room
When I removed mine . There was no heat shield on the 2008. Unsure if the one I removed was original .
Did quite a bit of research into replacing and haven’t seen any with a heat shield .
IMG_8580.png

Last edited:
The crossover pipe is covered by a skid plate so wouldn’t that suffice for brush fire prevention ?

Yes it would.

As Dirty dog said, it’s on the top side. My concern is without it, if it may cause the ATF to get hot or not cool as well. The cross member sits about 2” is front and slightly lower than transmission pan.

To give more clearance for the skid plate . Where the crossover pipe joins together use exhaust band clamps it will leave you a bit more room
When I removed mine . There was no heat shield on the 2008. Unsure if the one I removed was original .
Did quite a bit of research into replacing and haven’t seen any with a heat shield .
View attachment 127953

Thank you, that is the clamp I recommended we could replace it with, but he didn’t want to take the time to go get it. Comes a point in life where as parents we simply off advice, its up to them if they want to take any of it.

Thank you for the info about no heat shield on your 08. Out of curiosity is it an auto or manual?

Thank you, that is the clamp I recommended we could replace it with, but he didn’t want to take the time to go get it. Comes a point in life where as parents we simply off advice, its up to them if they want to take any of it.

Thank you for the info about no heat shield on your 08. Out of curiosity is it an auto or manual?

It’s an Auto . The crossover is supposed tuck right up in front of pan . Skid plate bolts on over top to protect crossover & trans .
Turns out not all catalytic exhausts for the Jeeps are created equally . Not all of the ones made tuck up properly in front of pan. Some hang down to much so skid plate cannot be attached properly .

It’s an Auto . The crossover is supposed tuck right up in front of pan . Skid plate bolts on over top to protect crossover & trans .
Turns out not all catalytic exhausts for the Jeeps are created equally . Not all of the ones made tuck up properly in front of pan. Some hang down to much so skid plate cannot be attached properly .
He has the issue of the cross exhaust pipe dropping down below the cross member. Made some spacers out of some extra steel I had laying around to drop his engine skid plate to clear.

He has the issue of the cross exhaust pipe dropping down below the cross member. Made some spacers out of some extra steel I had laying around to drop his engine skid plate to clear.

Yeah I’m in the process of buying a new catalytic converter exhaust as the one I purchased last year hangs to low . To low for spacers .
I was reassured by muffler shop the one I’m looking at tucks right up with no skid plate issues .
Looking at my skid plate . Def need it back on there. Backed out if a handful of obstacles already worrying about tearing off current system .
Like it doesn’t hang super low A couple inches to low .
Live & Learn with these Jeeps

One thing I should clear up for whomever may read down the line . I mentioned earlier it tucks up in front of pan
It’s actually the rear of pan .
Right in front of trans crossmember . Was just remembering incorrectly .

Last edited: