Engine cut out on incline

L33TJEEP

Hi all,

I have a 2015 jk, auto and have found the engine cutting out at times. This is relatively infrequent however. I have it in the shop and they found it happens when on a 30 degree incline, when changing between 2nd and 3rd gear. They have no idea as to cause though. Electrics remain on when this happens.

Any thoughts here?

Appreciate your insight. Thx.

P.S. I only recently joined the community after wanting to for years. Had top off over 50% of the time so far. Heaven.

Since it sounds like it only happens on incline, any chance the hood insulation is getting sucked / blocking the air-intake? I know others have had issues with this, but don’t recall if its only specific model years.

Good call it was on a 2014 the last few times but i'm sure it could on any year.

Hi all,

I have a 2015 jk, auto and have found the engine cutting out at times. This is relatively infrequent however. I have it in the shop and they found it happens when on a 30 degree incline, when changing between 2nd and 3rd gear. They have no idea as to cause though. Electrics remain on when this happens.

Any thoughts here?

P.S. I only recently joined the community after wanting to for years. Had top off over 50% of the time so far. Heaven.

Could be your fuel pump going out.

Hi all,

Any thoughts here?

How much fuel is in your tank when this happens?

Since it sounds like it only happens on incline, any chance the hood insulation is getting sucked / blocking the air-intake? I know others have had issues with this, but don’t recall if its only specific model years.
I don’t think it’s only on incline. I’ll raise this however. It only occurs about once a month.

Hope it isn’t anything expensive! Let us know what they find!
The dealer had it for a couple of weeks and could not draw any conclusions. Hours after I picked it up, it faulted. I’m taking it back to let them drive it for a few weeks. Not sure how this will help though as the fault is practically impossible to replicate.

Did you check to see if the underhood insulation was being sucked into the air intake like suggested earlier?

Reactions: mrjp
Did you check to see if the underhood insulation was being sucked into the air intake like suggested earlier?
I'll table this. It's going in again tonight for a while. They have raised a ticket with jeep however feel stumped by the issue, as they can't replicate it. They want to drive it for a while to see if they can experience the fault.

Reactions: mrjp
Update: so the Jeep dealer mechanics had it for about two months. They drove about 500 miles with no issue.

i subsequently picked it up and had the issue occur twice almost instantly.

i think the issue is with how I drive. A while ago I had nerve damage on my feet so they are a little numb at times.

anyway, since then I have deliberately tried to ensure I never accidentally touch both pedals at once or anything like that. after doing this I found the issue stopped for a couple of months. Then it happened again. Presume I have to be vigilant. Randomly even when I tried to cause the issue I could not.

A watching brief I suppose. 🤷🏼

Reactions: Speartip
So after being convinced that my driving style was at fault I now finally have proof that my issue is not behavioural.

We traipsed up to Mt.Baw Baw recently where upon ( on bitumen) the car once again cut out.

As it did I showed my partner where my non-driving foot was emphasising that I was sure I hadn’t moved it.

As she was looking at my feet, the engine cut out again.

Then a few days later my father was driving and it happened again.

On all three occasions the vehicle was on a slight upwards facing incline.

I wonder if it occurs as it changes gears. (It’s an auto - I’m lazy)

Anyway - I’m going to propose to the service center that they lend me their flight recorder which measures details of the vehicle whilst running and then drive the same mountain to attempt a re-enactment.