Diff cover powder coating issue / question

jason

I purchased some Spicer nodular iron diff covers some time back and am getting ready to install them and noticed that the rear cover powder coating on the inside didn't cover totally in one spot(see image). Before installing I just wanted to ask if you guys think it would be a flaking issue where it flaked off into the fluid and if it did would it be a problem(prob not good)? Rubbing on it with my fingers doesn't seem to flake any off.
photo_2022-10-07_13-14-35.jpg

Reactions: Speartip
Not sure what would happen over time. I didn‘t realize these covers had an option for powder coating. Seems like it may be a little more difficult to seal it since the surface isn‘t smooth. Maybe using a gasket might be better then using a sealant alone.

Not sure what would happen over time. I didn‘t realize these covers had an option for powder coating. Seems like it may be a little more difficult to seal it since the surface isn‘t smooth. Maybe using a gasket might be better then using a sealant alone.
Thx for the response! When I purchased them they didn't have an option for the PC but they came that way. The mating surface where the gasket goes is actually smooth just not the inner side. I will be using Lube Lockers though.

I don't know why anybody would bother powder coating the inside of the diff cover, but ok....
I don't see any problem. Even if any of the coating flakes off (which doesn't seem super likely) it's not likely to damage your diff.
Thx for the response Dirty Dog! Someone informed me that that isn't actually powder coating but is just a rough texture finish from being cast.

Thx for the response Dirty Dog! Someone informed me that that isn't actually powder coating but is just a rough texture finish from being cast.
That makes more sense.
What benefits are there to nodular iron? For aftermarket diff covers, I have always gone with plate steel. Rattle-canned, for easy touch up.

That makes more sense.
What benefits are there to nodular iron? For aftermarket diff covers, I have always gone with plate steel. Rattle-canned, for easy touch up.
The main reasons I picked these diff covers up were that they were made by Spicer same maker as the axles, they have a drain hole & 2 fill holes which is nice since my rear pinion angle has been adjusted. I think being nodular iron they are supposedly stronger than steel but didn't play much into my purchasing these.

The main reasons I picked these diff covers up were that they were made by Spicer same maker as the axles, they have a drain hole & 2 fill holes which is nice since my rear pinion angle has been adjusted. I think being nodular iron they are supposedly stronger than steel but didn't play much into my purchasing these.
Going threw thread was surprised to read inside was also powder coated . But that been sorted out .
I do believe the cast covers are stronger than the sheet metal covers . Especially along the lip where stamped steel covers can peel off if dragging an axel over an obstacle

Reactions: mrjp and jason