Dave's 2012 JK Call of Duty Edition

The tail pipe hangs a lot lower! For that plate to catch, he’s gonna have far worse worries about testing the roll bar.
Probably not. Rocks smashing exhausts is so common around here that most of the hard core rock crawlers stop the exhaust at the axle turn down. That doesn't work well on a JK, but removing everything under the bumper does.

The hitch is lower, so avoiding license plate removal will mostly be a matter of picking the right line. But a bent license plate is really no big deal. A little time with a hammer and you're good to go.

I think it will hit the hitch first but your right. I've got some room that I can move it up about an inch this morning. Thanks for your input.
Hitting the hitch first assumes a square, level step. and that you're perpendicular to that surface... In my experience here in CO, that is rarely the case.
DCAM1439.JPG

But you're in FL. I've never gone wheeling there, but I have the impression that mud is the big thing there, not rocks. Is that correct?

Reactions: Speartip and Dlcain
Hitting the hitch first assumes a square, level step. and that you're perpendicular to that surface... In my experience here in CO, that is rarely the case.
View attachment 124156

But you're in FL. I've never gone wheeling there, but I have the impression that mud is the big thing there, not rocks. Is that correct?
Yes lots of mud here, but to be honest our jeep will most likely go no further than a sandy beach lol

Yes lots of mud here, but to be honest our jeep will most likely go no further than a sandy beach lol
Your departure angle probably isn't too big a concern, then.

Beaches are tons of fun. We don't have any real mud in Colorado (it runs downhill to Kansas and leaves us with rocks) or beaches, but we do have the Great Sand Dunes National Park. There's a lovely trail that goes over Medano Pass (about a dozen water crossings, tons of beaver, deer, big horn sheep, occasionally a bear, bobcat, or mountain lion) and down into the dunes. The last 2.5 miles of that trail are driving through the sand. It's quite different to the usual off roading here.

The park itself is at the south end of the trail, and it's not uncommon for people to go to the park in less than stellar off road vehicles, ignore the signs at the trailhead, and get stuck in the sand. And in the springs, when the creek is high and there's tons of runoff, we actually do find some mud on this trail.

My daughter Katie plowing through in one of my old XJ's.
IMG_0146.JPG

My wife getting my Ram unstuck.
IMG_0153.JPG

One of the water crossings.
IMG_0179.JPG

One of many beaver dams.
P5260036.JPG

Coming into the dunes.
P5260016.JPG

A guy who took his girl and went wheeling solo. Bad idea. He got stuck, and his solution was to put snow chains on the tire that was touching the ground. Of course, he had an open diff, so it didn't actually do anything. They'd been there about an hour when our group came across them. We put a snatch block on a tree behind him, pulled him out backwards with my old YJ, and convinced him to turn around and come out with us.
IMG_0193.JPG P5260051.JPG

Reactions: Speartip and Dlcain
Now that looks like alot of fun! I would definitely want to follow someone and not by myself. I don't have a winch, but if I were to get stuck, someone with a winch could pull me out you think?

Now that looks like alot of fun! I would definitely want to follow someone and not by myself. I don't have a winch, but if I were to get stuck, someone with a winch could pull me out you think?
One of the rules is NEVER GO ALONE, except on the very easiest of trails. Not every rig in a group needs to have a winch, but it sure helps if multiple people can help. But as the saying goes, winching ain't wheeling. If the budget says either/or, I generally encourage people to invest in lockers before a winch. Although an ARB or Detroit is going to set you back a bit, you can get a lunchbox locker pretty cheap, and they can be installed without any special tools. And a Lincoln Locker costs less than your lunch.

That Dodge Ram was heavy. A lot heavier than my little YJ. You can't see it in that picture, but there's another YJ behind me, strapped to my rear end, just to add weight. It doesn't show well in the photo, but I was also a fair bit off camber trying to get the angle for the snatch block, and I didn't want to winch myself into a rollover. I had a MileMarker 12,000lb electric winch on the YJ and a MileMarker 15,000lb hydraulic winch on my Ram (the silver one). I used to tell people that between those two, if we couldn't pull them out, we'd just rip their rig into pieces small enough to carry out by hand...

Another rule to remember is that self-extraction is one thing, but if we have to pull you out... there WILL be harassment.

One of the rules is NEVER GO ALONE, except on the very easiest of trails. Not every rig in a group needs to have a winch, but it sure helps if multiple people can help. But as the saying goes, winching ain't wheeling. If the budget says either/or, I generally encourage people to invest in lockers before a winch. Although an ARB or Detroit is going to set you back a bit, you can get a lunchbox locker pretty cheap, and they can be installed without any special tools. And a Lincoln Locker costs less than your lunch.

That Dodge Ram was heavy. A lot heavier than my little YJ. You can't see it in that picture, but there's another YJ behind me, strapped to my rear end, just to add weight. It doesn't show well in the photo, but I was also a fair bit off camber trying to get the angle for the snatch block, and I didn't want to winch myself into a rollover. I had a MileMarker 12,000lb electric winch on the YJ and a MileMarker 15,000lb hydraulic winch on my Ram (the silver one). I used to tell people that between those two, if we couldn't pull them out, we'd just rip their rig into pieces small enough to carry out by hand...

Another rule to remember is that self-extraction is one thing, but if we have to pull you out... there WILL be harassment.

Dog, is this axle lock button something different than the ARB or Detroit you mentioned? Apologize but I'm not that 4wd knowledgeable. Is the lockers something a backyard mechanic like me can install? Thanks.

20220811_210551.jpg

Looks like you own a Rubicon. The Sway Bar button when pushed will dis-engage the front sway bar. This will give the front end of your vehicle more articulation/flexing allowing your tires to remain planted on the ground when on uneven terrain. This will help to a certain degree. When you get too flexy and have a tire spinning, you can push the Axle Lock button. Yes, this is what Dog was talking about. You have lockers already installed. I believe if you push the button once your rear lockers will engage. Press it again and both your front and rear lockers will engage. There will be indicator lights that show on your dash. The factory lockers in a Jeep Rubicon are electric. The ARB lockers are air driven. There are different brands and styles of lockers. They can make a huge difference in getting through obstacles. When your lockers are engaged it will make it more difficult to steer as both of your tires will spin at the same rate.

Reactions: Speartip
Dog, is this axle lock button something different than the ARB or Detroit you mentioned?
Different but similar.

Lockers fall into two basic categories. Automatic and selectable.

The E-Locker that comes standard on the Rubicon (such as yours) and the ARB (and similar) are selectable lockers. You have to flip a switch to lock the differential. The E-locker is electrical, the ARB uses air pressure to engage the locker.

Detroit lockers, lunchbox lockers (and similar) engage automatically when the tires are spinning at different speeds. A small difference won't engage the locker, to allow for cornering without the tires chirping constantly.

Lincoln Lockers are permanent.

Not surprisingly, there are pros and cons to each. If you want to get into the details, we should start a different thread.
Apologize but I'm not that 4wd knowledgeable. Is the lockers something a backyard mechanic like me can install? Thanks.
No need to apologize. Ignorant is the default state of humanity; we learn as we go.

Installing an ARB, E-locker, or Detroit requires replacing the differential. You'll need to swap the gears to the new differential. Setting up a differential from scratch is not a job for a neophyte.

Lunchbox lockers retain the original gears and differential and can usually be installed without removing the diff from the housing. I think most people could manage this install.

Managed some time to work on the jeep today. Been so busy moving the past few weeks, just haven't had time. Nothing major today. Added the dead pedal and led side markers. Tomorrow I'm going to re-drill and move the license plate up to be more centered with the back bumper.

20230610_161149.jpg

20230610_165117.jpg

Managed some time to work on the jeep today. Been so busy moving the past few weeks, just haven't had time. Nothing major today. Added the dead pedal and led side markers. Tomorrow I'm going to re-drill and move the license plate up to be more centered with the back bumper.

View attachment 124545

View attachment 124546

Think Jeep should have installed dead pedal at the factory . Ordered mine last week . Little dif than yours . Still hasn’t shipped . So not sure what’s going on with Amazon . Usually pretty quick to ship

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Think Jeep should have installed dead pedal at the factory . Ordered mine last week . Little dif than yours . Still hasn’t shipped . So not sure what’s going on with Amazon . Usually pretty quick to ship
Is it coming from Amazon? The only time I wait more than a day or two is when it's something for which Amazon is just a middleman.

Reactions: Speartip
Is it coming from Amazon? The only time I wait more than a day or two is when it's something for which Amazon is just a middleman.

No it’s not coming directly from Amazon . One of the 2nd party sellers . It was finally shipped out . Took 7 days ?
I’ve dealt with a few 2nd party sellers on Amazon and they were pretty quick .
A week to ship is ridiculous.
[Unless they’re advertising things they don’t have in stock . It’s also coming from Putianshi , China .
The eta is June 28-July 19
Have a feeling it’s coming over by container ship . Lol
It’s just a dead pedal so not a huge deal . Just shitty service like this is annoying ATTACH=full]124572[/ATTACH]

2FBAE285-E551-4525-B78C-B4EDAFFB7D86.png

Jeep is looking good. Do you have links for the windshield lights, switch panel and the license plate hole cover? Looking to relocate my license plate.
As soon as I get a chance I'll post the links for ya. I purchased everything off ebay. Buckets, visors, lamps, switch panel, and plate cover. Thanks!