Coolant leak and flushing radiator questions

14JKALTITUDE

Ok So I have 2014 JKU. No problems whatsover since I bought it. It currently has 39k miles, yah I know I don't drive much lol. The only time it went to the dealer was for the oil pressure sending sensor which is in the back of the block that needed to be replaced, there was a TSB on the 13s and 14s and that really sucked see your oil pressure at 99 psi all the time.

So I noticed this today, pinkish purplish crust build up. The one pick shows the overflow tank extremely low, normal? The other pic is hard to see but its some build up, not sure if it's been there all it's life or what from standing in front of the jeep on the drivers side taking the pic. The other pic you'll see some pinkish stuff, it was worse than this because there was quite a crud of crusty build up and it wiped all that off (circled part of the image, it was a nice build up, kinda like an ant hiil)

Backing up, I noticed that the hoses and everything have white lines to where they connect everywhere because I guess the tech needed to mark everything so he or she could put everything back correctly (actually it's all over the engine bay) when they replaced the sensor in the back of the block.

This was about 26k miles ago in 2016. I don't have any over heating issues, no shifting issues, nada. Maintained the vehicle myself. The only reason I noticed this is because I just finished up swapping engine oil and front and rear diff fluids.

Recommendations, how easy to fix, etc. Thank you in advance!

IMG_20221008_162551395.jpg

IMG_20221008_162533629.jpg

IMG_20221008_162403196.jpg

That colored stuff is your antifreeze and before adding any to the Jeep it's very important to put the correct antifreeze in it. If you put the wrong stuff in it will make it a solid instead of a liquid and you'll have a expensive mess.

They have 2 different types that is used one is kinda orange and the other is a purplish color.

Thank you. The antifreeze has never been touched. I've done all the maintenance myself since I bought it minus the sensor in the back of the block being replaced.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Ok so I got a like on my reply lol. Is this an issue I need to look into or some normal abnomoly? Theres no other signs of this crust anywhere else, just those 3 pics. Also there is nothing wet at the bottom, all dry, nothing on the garage floor.

It looks like your coolant reservoir is low so you could possibly have a leak somewhere. Best thing to do is to clean all the colored stuff off and then after driving it open the hood to see if you can see any new wet spots.

The Like was because you thanked me.

UPDATE. i forgot to look under, ugh. doubt the over flow is leaking, correct? somewhere i have a cracked or pin hole leak in the rad? drivers side looking up from underneath

ack.jpg

Last edited:
Is that the side that has the radiator cap, they can go bad and leak. I had to replace mine and it only had 76,000 miles on it.
No, drivers side and i checked the overflow tank, looks like there are 2 black marks and the coolant level in within that range.

UPDATE. i forgot to look under, ugh. doubt the over flow is leaking, correct? somewhere i have a cracked or pin hole leak in the rad? drivers side

View attachment 122496
That is certainly what that looks like. The geometry of the leak looks like it developed after the vehicle was parked, may just after a trip while the engine was still hot. If that's the reservoir on the right, then it looks like your coolant is low too.

Yes we had an extremely unusual hot summer. that leak is going down so i believe somewhere the seam is leaking or leaked. but it is not leaking now. i drove it, idled it, no wetness anywhere which is weird. either way, i'm going to get the mishimoto direct fit replacement.

also im going to flush so, drain rad and overlfow, close underneath, fill with 1/2 water, run 5 minutes, drain, repeat and rinse until clear water drains out? then fil raditar and top off overflow tank, run and top off with cap off and then close?

oh and how much coolant should i add to the overflow tank, until it reaches the mark and fill it up 50 concentrate and 50 water?

also i was told premix 50 50 is bad, so in case the mopar pn of OAT is out, is there another brand i can use to add?

Last edited:
Yes we had an extremely unusual hot summer. that leak is going down so i believe somewhere the seam is leaking or leaked. but it is not leaking now. i drove it, idled it, no wetness anywhere which is weird. either way, i'm going to get the mishimoto direct fit replacement.

also im going to flush so, drain rad and overlfow, close underneath, fill with 1/2 water, run 5 minutes, drain, repeat and rinse until clear water drains out? then fil raditar and top off overflow tank, run and top off with cap off and then close?

oh and how much coolant should i add to the overflow tank, until it reaches the mark and fill it up 50 concentrate and 50 water?

also i was told premix 50 50 is bad, so in case the mopar pn of OAT is out, is there another brand i can use to add?
First, look up exactly what coolant type your engine requires. Do not mix types!!! Doing so creates a gel (I guess that's what you would call it) that will thoroughly stodge up your system and engine. There are two types and HOAT and OAT. Do not blend them, or mix them with water unless that's what your manual says to do. I have a '16 and the manual says to use an OAT type coolant: "Your vehicle has been built with an improved engine coolant (OAT coolant conforming to MS.90032) that allows extended maintenance intervals".

As regards the leak, might it have actually been an overflow? Is it possible the system was slightly over filled?

Ok so please tell me where i am not correct.

i am replacing the radiator and thermo (might as well) because the rad has a leak on the drivers seam.

so drain radiator, pull out overflow tank drain

put overflow tank back on, close peacock

there should be 1.5 gal of mix left

fill with 1 gal of distilled water, close cap, run 5 minutes, drain, pull overflow tank, drain

fill with 1 gal of distilled water, close cap, run 5 minutes, drain, pull overflow tank, drain

basically repeat until water comes out clear

THEN since there is 1.5 gal left of clear water and the rad takes 3 gal, put in 1.5 gal of concentrate in radiator? put in concentrate and water 50/50 in overflow tank to level mark?

run 5 - 10 minutes top off?

did i get it right, if i am not write, instead of replying where i am not write, please rewrite entire post i wrote with corrections. i am a little bad at reading like dyslesic and cannot properly read things correctly unless they are written like for a 3 year old

ALSO OPTION 2

i am just replacing the radiator, SOO, do i really need to do a flush since the fluid is still good? can i just put the radiator back in and top it off 50/50 with OAT (which is what is required).

also is there an alternative to the MOPAR OAT or do I need to specifically buy MOPAR. If there is an alternative, please list it thanks.

First, look up exactly what coolant type your engine requires. Do not mix types!!! Doing so creates a gel (I guess that's what you would call it) that will thoroughly stodge up your system and engine. There are two types and HOAT and OAT. Do not blend them, or mix them with water unless that's what your manual says to do. I have a '16 and the manual says to use an OAT type coolant: "Your vehicle has been built with an improved engine coolant (OAT coolant conforming to MS.90032) that allows extended maintenance intervals".

As regards the leak, might it have actually been an overflow? Is it possible the system was slightly over filled?

No, the seam is leaking on the right drivers side, i posted a photo, that is no overflow tank. also i know the correct one, OAT.

We recommend you use MOPAR® Antifreeze/
Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT
(Organic Additive Technology). for 2014s

Reactions: Duster

i am replacing the radiator and thermo (might as well) because the rad has a leak on the drivers seam.

THEN since there is 1.5 gal left of clear water and the rad takes 3 gal, put in 1.5 gal of concentrate in radiator? put in concentrate and water 50/50 in overflow tank to level mark?

did i get it right, if i am not write, instead of replying where i am not write, please rewrite entire post i wrote with corrections. i am a little bad at reading like dyslesic and cannot properly read things correctly unless they are written like for a 3 year old

ALSO OPTION 2

i am just replacing the radiator, SOO, do i really need to do a flush since the fluid is still good? can i just put the radiator back in and top it off 50/50 with OAT (which is what is required).

also is there an alternative to the MOPAR OAT or do I need to specifically buy MOPAR. If there is an alternative, please list it thanks.

How many miles on the Jeep?

Also I merged your new Post with your old Thread that way you can keep everything together, you'll still get the same help.

Last edited:
If you have alot less then 150,000 miles on the Jeep i'd just drain out what comes out of the radiator and then change what you need to. Then just fill it up with new Coolant and burp the air out.

Reactions: BigAL07
All right, but only because you specifically asked...

It's a petcock. A peacock is a colorful bird with an obnoxious scream.
If it's leaking, how would you know this?

Again, petcock.
Again, leaking...

I don't know that I would bother flushing it, unless you have an indication that it is needed.

ALSO OPTION 2

There are universal coolant mixes you can use. Just look at the label.

I’ve looked at the universal coolants to see if they have the rating listed by Mopar. Does anyone know, curious due to extended warranties and if any impact if they don’t have the listing.