code p0300 multiple engine misfire detected

CraigCampbell

We have owned our Jeep for roughly two months. Code p0300 multiple engine misfire detected has popped up now 3 times. First time, took it to the dealership. They found failing coil packs and replaced three. Also had them replace all the spark plugs. Second time, took it to the dealer, no issues found. Third time happened today driving from the store to home. Called the dealer. Appointments booked out for a month. He said my after market pod lights could be causing the issue. I cannot feel any issues, it really doesn't feel like its misfiring. Has anyone heard of this or have any ideas? Its a 2018 Unlimited JK Sport.

We have owned our Jeep for roughly two months. Code p0300 multiple engine misfire detected has popped up now 3 times. First time, took it to the dealership. They found failing coil packs and replaced three. Also had them replace all the spark plugs. Second time, took it to the dealer, no issues found. Third time happened today driving from the store to home. Called the dealer. Appointments booked out for a month. He said my after market pod lights could be causing the issue. I cannot feel any issues, it really doesn't feel like its misfiring. Has anyone heard of this or have any ideas? Its a 2018 Unlimited JK Sport.
Pod lights causing issue ? Even though Jeeps electrical can be finicky. Don't think Pod lights
will cause an issue . I'm assuming you have Pod lights hooked up on dedicated seperate circuit/switch ?
Generally one can feel misfire in the seat of your pants . Sometime subtle , other times WTF.
Depending on severity . You had coil and plugs replaced to address it .
If the same code pops up maybe just a sensor issue.
With my Jeep I get check engine light on once and awhile .
Snug up gas cap and check light goes away
after a few start ups. Never checeked the code. But it's a gas cap issue in my case .
If it's running fine , I wouldn't worry about it TBH.

Gotta love how a dealer, the people who are supposed to know these Jeeps better than anyone, and arguably the most expensive, just throw parts at client vehicles without really diagnosing the issue.

Curious, how many miles you have on your Jeep? If it starts, moves and runs fine, and MPG is normal, id drive it till it dies. Or sell it before used car prices dip. Which is arguably still nowhere near "normal".

Thanks for the replies! Since this posting the check engine light has cleared and triggered again twice, both the same code, P0300 Multiple misfires. Its pretty random when it happens. You can definitely feel the misfire which only lasts for a minute or so then its gone. After a day or so the check engine light clears. Also, when the vehicle is running, I get the odor off gasoline. I noticed the check engine light cleared one evening after filling the gas tank. Could just be coincidence.

Gotta love how a dealer, the people who are supposed to know these Jeeps better than anyone, and arguably the most expensive, just throw parts at client vehicles without really diagnosing the issue.

Curious, how many miles you have on your Jeep? If it starts, moves and runs fine, and MPG is normal, id drive it till it dies. Or sell it before used car prices dip. Which is arguably still nowhere near "normal".
Jeep has 48K miles. I thought about trading it in on a new renegade. Close to what i paid for this 2018 JK.

Reactions: Threepointsix
Pod lights causing issue ? Even though Jeeps electrical can be finicky. Don't think Pod lights
will cause an issue . I'm assuming you have Pod lights hooked up on dedicated separate circuit/switch ?
Generally one can feel misfire in the seat of your pants . Sometime subtle , other times WTF.
Depending on severity . You had coil and plugs replaced to address it .
If the same code pops up maybe just a sensor issue.
With my Jeep I get check engine light on once and awhile .
Snug up gas cap and check light goes away
after a few start ups. Never checked the code. But it's a gas cap issue in my case .
If it's running fine , I wouldn't worry about it TBH.
Yeah I too thought the Pod lights were a stretch. Yes they are on a separate switch. Any sensors you might recommend being replaced?

Jeep has 48K miles. I thought about trading it in on a new renegade. Close to what i paid for this 2018 JK.
True story: coworker of mine had a Renegade. Worst purchase she made. To be fair it was one of the first models but she had major catastrophic issues with it. Maybe they're more reliable now, I obviously don't know. Low miles Wrangler, so you'll get a nice coin.

Ok , so it still is some sort of misfire issue as you stated can feel whenever it happens and also smelling of gas , which cannot be good .
I mentioned possible sensor failure making engine light come on cause under the impression after 2nd visit it wasn't actually misfiring .
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Jeep have 6 coil packs?
If they only replaced 3 maybe its one of the others that are fried
Since your smelling gas it could also be a fuel issue . Possibly fuel regulator , Running way to rich so something in the throttle body or a fuel injector gone bad, it's honestly hard to say at this point as could still be electrical or fuel .

A Renegade , isn't that like a a chick car . Joking .
Don't give up on the Wrangler just yet. They are unbelievable vehicles that can take you places
no other vehicle can . Sometimes problems arise , but issues can happen with any vehicle .

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAL07
Ok , so it still is some sort of misfire issue as you stated can feel whenever it happens and also smelling of gas , which cannot be good .
I mentioned possible sensor failure making engine light come on cause under the impression after 2nd visit it wasn't actually misfiring .
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Jeep have 6 coil packs?
If they only replaced 3 maybe its one of the others that are fried
Since your smelling gas it could also be a fuel issue . Possibly fuel regulator , Running way to rich so something in the throttle body or a fuel injector gone bad, it's honestly hard to say at this point as could still be electrical or fuel .

A Renegade , isn't that like a a chick car . Joking .
Don't give up on the Wrangler just yet. They are unbelievable vehicles that can take you places
no other vehicle can . Sometimes problems arise , but issues can happen with any vehicle .
Yah, issues arise. I'll argue more mysterious and costly with the Pentastar than any other Wrangler gen. But since I don't have stats and numbers, you can pass off my negative outlook as hyperbole. And of course there are mixed reviews.

Here's some interesting reads:

https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/are-jeep-wranglers-reliable/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Wrangler/2014/

Yah, issues arise. I'll argue more mysterious and costly with the Pentastar than any other Wrangler gen. But since I don't have stats and numbers, you can pass off my negative outlook as hyperbole. And of course there are mixed reviews.

Here's some interesting reads:

https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/are-jeep-wranglers-reliable/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Wrangler/2014/
Ok should probably change my last sentence to
“ more issues than most vehicles “ haha
No they aren’t perfect . Think we would all agree on that .
Gremlins aside , for off roading weather a moderate or extreme trail. Driving it home a couple hours afterwards than to work the next day . The Jeep does & can get it done .