Buy or pass on undercarriage rust?

catJeep

Is this 2011 JK with about 94k miles at $16k in AR worth it, or should I keep waiting and searching? It has been mostly in PA and then MI, so I think a lot of road salt exposure. Dealer had a small exhaust leak fixed and will have rear axle work done. Curb appeal and interior good, seemed to drive and shift OK on 2 test drives.

PXL_20221023_224811391.jpg

PXL_20221023_224904804.jpg

PXL_20221023_224914290.jpg

PXL_20221023_225001112.jpg

PXL_20221023_225023064.jpg

Don't look horrible but also looks like somebody has tried to cover it up and may have lots of hidden rust. I would pass. being 94,000 and located in MI and PA means lots of salt being packed into those pockets and inside of frame.

Someone definitely tried to rattle can black over the rust to cover it up! Your shock tower picture is a dead giveaway. There's a tape line and paint that ran down the frame at the bad rust spots. Your rear shock picture looks like there could possibly be a hole in the frame by the bump stop? Hard to tell if it's a shadow or not. Even if you think it's a good deal and buy the Jeep, you're going to have headaches trying to replace things that need replaced. I'm saying stay away.

Someone definitely tried to rattle can black over the rust to cover it up! Your shock tower picture is a dead giveaway. There's a tape line and paint that ran down the frame at the bad rust spots. Your rear shock picture looks like there could possibly be a hole in the frame by the bump stop? Hard to tell if it's a shadow or not. Even if you think it's a good deal and buy the Jeep, you're going to have headaches trying to replace things that need replaced. I'm saying stay away.
I could see what looked like black underneath but also uncovered rust. Taking your advice, thanks!