Brake pedal vibration

StaceyB

Please read the full list of solutions I’ve already tried before offering a recommendation. I’ve tried a ton of things.

I have a 2018 JKU.

When I slow down, braking and turning, like into a driveway or parking lot, I get a hard vibration in my brake pedal. Happens when brakes are 1/4 to 1/2 depressed. It recently started happening when not turning.

It’s not like an ABS vibration. It’s not as rapid. It’s harder and clunkier.

No warning lights. The only code I have is B2204 ECU configuration mismatch, which I don’t think is related. Maybe?

These are all the things that have been done:

New front and rear track bars
New tie rods
New ball joints
New rear brake pads
New front and rear wheel speed sensors
New front rotors, calipers, brake pads
New front wheel bearings
Upgraded front brake lines
4 new shocks (Fox 2.0)
Upgraded sway bar links

I also can’t see anything rubbing anywhere.

I’ve crawled under and yeeted every nut and bolt I can find on the front end.

My CV joints, rear rotors and rear calipers are good.

What am I missing?

When I slow down, braking and turning, like into a driveway or parking lot, I get a hard vibration in my brake pedal. Happens when brakes are 1/4 to 1/2 depressed. It recently started happening when not turning.
When it initially started was it both directions or just one? I realize it now happens when not turning, though...

1/2 pedal can be a pretty aggressive maneuver if it happens quickly. So are you talking about easing into the pedal and ultimately achieving 1/4 - 1/2 or is it more of an aggressive, abrupt braking??

Did you have the same shocks before or did you go from a different brand to Fox?

When it initially started was it both directions or just one? I realize it now happens when not turning, though...

1/2 pedal can be a pretty aggressive maneuver if it happens quickly. So are you talking about easing into the pedal and ultimately achieving 1/4 - 1/2 or is it more of an aggressive, abrupt braking??

Did you have the same shocks before or did you go from a different brand to Fox?
Initially turning both directions (I think, but definitely now both.)

Slow turn. Like if I’m pulling into a parking spot or driveway.

I had Rough Country shocks before I switched to the Fox 2.0.

Hey sorry about your issue ok so that code 2204 can cause that issue with one or all sensors grabbing because it is showing a drop in voltage . First thing I would do is clear that code either with a scanner or just disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes then reconnect . It's very possible that code not being cleared and stored in the ecu will case the problem just like when you get a oil change and if you dont clear the code it will continue to flash even though you changed the oil..good luck brother let us know

Hey sorry about your issue ok so that code 2204 can cause that issue with one or all sensors grabbing because it is showing a drop in voltage . First thing I would do is clear that code either with a scanner or just disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes then reconnect . It's very possible that code not being cleared and stored in the ecu will case the problem just like when you get a oil change and if you dont clear the code it will continue to flash even though you changed the oil..good luck brother let us know
*sister* 😉

I have cleared the code with JScan, but not the battery disconnect. Will give it a try. Thank you.

The good news is I’ve learned how to do a lot of work on this Jeep on my own. 💪🏻

Reactions: tJKrider
What sensors are you referring to? ABS sensors, perhaps? I thought the 2204 code was the wireless control module which would not impact braking performance.
It
What sensors are you referring to? ABS sensors, perhaps? I thought the 2204 code was the wireless control module which would not impact braking performance.
Hey tj so the sensor Im mainly referring to is the TPMS it can activate the abs sensor or the wheel hub speed causing the vehicle too add more pressure to the caliper causing that pulsation in the pedal sort of like when you put your traction control on it will activate which wheels will grip and not slip..I know man it's very confusing..have a great day

I've had a similar problem happen once, & my daughter in law had it happen to her jk (my old one) too. I suggested rotating the tires as a easy item to eliminate. Her mechanic father poo-poo'd the idea. Vibration gone. I suggested rotating tires regularly & checking for worn components. In her case, she had worn ball joints that caused abnormal wear.

Not saying this is the cause, but it's a cheap & easy thing to eliminate as a cause.

I've had a similar problem happen once, & my daughter in law had it happen to her jk (my old one) too. I suggested rotating the tires as a easy item to eliminate. Her mechanic father poo-poo'd the idea. Vibration gone. I suggested rotating tires regularly & checking for worn components. In her case, she had worn ball joints that caused abnormal wear.

Not saying this is the cause, but it's a cheap & easy thing to eliminate as a cause.
Can’t hurt to try after everything else.

Reactions: vaffanculo
It

Hey tj so the sensor Im mainly referring to is the TPMS it can activate the abs sensor or the wheel hub speed causing the vehicle too add more pressure to the caliper causing that pulsation in the pedal sort of like when you put your traction control on it will activate which wheels will grip and not slip..I know man it's very confusing..have a great day
@vaffanculo.25989 I can’t get the code to clear. These are the things I’ve tried:

Cleared in JScan. As soon as it rescans it comes back.

Disconnected the negative cable, then positive, grounded positive to metal frame for 30+ seconds. (The cable isn’t long enough (or it’s not moving) to ground the positive to negative. Reconnect positive then negative. Turn vehicle to on (not run). Cycle through headlights. Turn off. Remove key. Wait a few minutes and start. Code still there. Comes back in JScan after delete.

I also tried disconnecting both cables for an hour and repeating the cycle. No luck.

I even blew on it like a Nintendo cartridge for good measure.

Anything else to try?

Last edited:

Not saying this is the cause, but it's a cheap & easy thing to eliminate as a

I agree issues like a defective belt in a tire can cause this also...just because something is new doesn't mean it can't be defective. Just like someone mentioned earlier it can be a defective new rotor especially if it was purchased at the zone...autozone that is

Can’t hurt to try after everything else.
Great attitude...its a jeep...it either stands for Just Emptying Every Pocket or Just Enjoying Everyday Pleasures....good luck and keep the shinny side up

Reactions: Duster
I can’t get the code to clear. These are the things I’ve tried:

Cleared in JScan. As soon as it rescans it comes back.

Disconnected the negative cable, then positive, grounded positive to metal frame for 30+ seconds. (The cable isn’t long enough (or it’s not moving) to ground the positive to negative. Reconnect positive then negative. Turn vehicle to on (not run). Cycle through headlights. Turn off. Remove key. Wait a few minutes and start. Code still there. Comes back in JScan after delete.

I also tried disconnecting both cables for an hour and repeating the cycle. No luck.

I even blew on it like a Nintendo cartridge for good measure.

Anything else to try?
On a positive note: The interior lights I have that respond to music hadn’t functioned properly since I bought the Jeep and now they do. So there’s that. Now, if only I can find some way to clear this damn code.

I'm still leaning toward the tpms or wheel hub sensor ..you can reset the tpms by turning key on without starting hold the reset button on the dash until the tire sensor light blinks 3 times then shut it off for 20 minutes .you can youtube this resetting to make sure I'm exactly right .hopefully this may clear that 2204 code

Reactions: Duster and tJKrider
On a positive note: The interior lights I have that respond to music hadn’t functioned properly since I bought the Jeep and now they do. So there’s that. Now, if only I can find some way to clear this damn code.
Did you try disconnecting those interior lights and see if you can clear that code..sometimes the smallest things people say can solve the issue

I'm still leaning toward the tpms or wheel hub sensor ..you can reset the tpms by turning key on without starting hold the reset button on the dash until the tire sensor light blinks 3 times then shut it off for 20 minutes .you can youtube this resetting to make sure I'm exactly right .hopefully this may clear that 2204 code
I can’t find any videos but I went ahead and tried it. My TMPS light isn’t on (just get the code when I run JScan). But, since the Jeep was in on-position, I held the trip reset button down until the engine light flashed 3 times. Shut it down for 30 minutes and restarted. Ran JScan. Code still there. Cleared it on JScan. It came back.

I’ll try disconnecting all my undercarriage, interior and light bars tomorrow for the hell of it and see. Then later in the week see if I can get my tires rotated.

Everything I’ve done says that code should be gone gone, but not budging.

I appreciate you sticking with me and helping. I feel like this may be the issue. I just don’t understand why it’s not clearing.

I can’t find any videos but I went ahead and tried it. My TMPS light isn’t on (just get the code when I run JScan). But, since the Jeep was in on-position, I held the trip reset button down until the engine light flashed 3 times. Shut it down for 30 minutes and restarted. Ran JScan. Code still there. Cleared it on JScan. It came back.

I’ll try disconnecting all my undercarriage, interior and light bars tomorrow for the hell of it and see. Then later in the week see if I can get my tires rotated.

Everything I’ve done says that code should be gone gone, but not budging.

I appreciate you sticking with me and helping. I feel like this may be the issue. I just don’t understand why it’s not clearing.
did you make sure that code isn't stuck in your scanner and erasing all codes your scanner has stored in it? Also just for the he'll of it hook your scanner too another vehicle and see if that code pops up

Reactions: Duster