Body control module

Dlcain

JK Enthusiast
Need advise on what to do about replacing my BCM. Local garage telling me $1200 just for the part. Looking for alternatives before bitting the bullet on this one (

Reactions: vaffanculo
Need advise on what to do about replacing my BCM. Local garage telling me $1200 just for the part. Looking for alternatives before bitting the bullet on this one (

What kind of problems you having that you need a BCM, I didn't know these Jeeps even had them.

Got caught in the rain with the tops off. Steering column completely dead. Neither stalk works as well as the Steering wheel controls.

Got caught in the rain with the tops off. Steering column completely dead. Neither stalk works as well as the Steering wheel controls.

It says the location for that is behind the passenger side kick panel how would that get wet? I'd think it would be the switches on the steering column.

Reactions: Danarch
Try a BCM reset., I got this from Google so it should be right.

You can reset the BCM by turning the ignition to the ON position, but do not start the engine, then press and hold the brake pedal for 10 seconds. Next, turn the ignition to the OFF position, wait for 10 seconds, then turn the ignition to the ON position again.

It says the location for that is behind the passenger side kick panel how would that get wet? I'd think it would be the switches on the steering column.
Everything got drenched. Cup holders and center console completely filled with water. Not sure how water got into the console? Oddly enough the radio still works. I pulled both switches apart and inspected them. They both looked okay.

Try a BCM reset., I got this from Google so it should be right.

You can reset the BCM by turning the ignition to the ON position, but do not start the engine, then press and hold the brake pedal for 10 seconds. Next, turn the ignition to the OFF position, wait for 10 seconds, then turn the ignition to the ON position again.
Thanks, I tried it a couple times but no go uggg(

I'm with the clockspring too. When my clockspring in my WJ had issues, I lost all functions. No horn, no turn signal, no 4 ways, no radio controls, and no lheadlight control. Where the clockspring plugs in, those connection pins is where most of your trouble is caused. Also, where the BCM is located on these Jeeps. you would of had to cross a river and flooded the floor boards to the bottom of your seats. If you open the doors and the water pours out flooded. I'm not sayin it couldn't be the BCM but very unlikely it is.

Reactions: JerryD and BLACKJKU
Thanks, I'll check the clock spring out. I looked and couldn't find the BCM anywhere! Not behind the kick panel or in the floor. Any ideas?

Thanks, I'll check the clock spring out. I looked and couldn't find the BCM anywhere! Not behind the kick panel or in the floor. Any ideas?

Since I didn't know what year your Jeep was I just searched BCM location, i'm thinking it was a 2017 that I got the info from.

If you would fill out your signature and put info about your Jeep it would make it easier.

My mistake... recall affected mostly RHD models, but Chrysler extended the warranty at one time and I had one of mine replaced under that. In looking today, I don't see a "BCM" for JKs. It seems the TIPM incorporates the functions of a BCM and that is under the hood. The module by the glovebox looks to be the receiver for the alarm? At least that's what the parts diagram I have seems to indicate.

To me, since all the electrical connections for the steering column go through the clockspring,I re-iterate that is where I'd look.

Please let us know what you do that fixes it. If it IS the clockspring, may want to invest in one of these...

Does the steering wheel have to be pulled and airbag disabled in order to change the clock spring? Is there a way to test it without pulling the wheel? Thanks again for all your help. I have a 2012 call of duty edition w/3.6 engine.

I think this is what I'm looking for if it is not the clock spring.

Screenshot_20240330_103843_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: vaffanculo
What site is that? When I look up that p/n on the Mopar site, it comes back with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System receiver.

Edit, It looks like other sites are calling it the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module Receiver (which makes more sense since it goes I believe on the column and the ring encircles the key)

Last edited:
Does the steering wheel have to be pulled and airbag disabled in order to change the clock spring? Is there a way to test it without pulling the wheel? Thanks again for all your help. I have a 2012 call of duty edition w/3.6 engine.
Yes you'll have to remove the airbag and steering wheel in order to get to the clock spring. I don't know of any way to test it, but the clock spring is the electrical connection for your stalks & SW buttons.