Bad rear control arms?

Ryandou

I have a 2009 JK that feels like the rear end shifts when going fwd->reverse and vice versa, and makes a single popping noise like metal on metal every once in a while. I’ve tightened everything to spec but it still does it. My first guess is control arms but I’m not in the business of buying parts for fun. Anyone else have similar behavior, or have any thoughts on what it could be???

Do you have adjustable control arms on the front and rear?

The popping noise could be your driveshaft have you checked the U-Joints, is it the factory driveshaft or aftermarket?

Reactions: Danarch
@BLACKJKU yes, adjustable on front and back. I’m assuming factory, I don’t see evidence it was changed and I didn’t do it.

To be clear, it’s not a huge deal at this point, more of an irritation because I don’t want it happening at all:)

@BLACKJKU yes, adjustable on front and back. I’m assuming factory, I don’t see evidence it was changed and I didn’t do it.

To be clear, it’s not a huge deal at this point, more of an irritation because I don’t want it happening at all:)

Factory doesn't use adjustable control arms, you need to have them on lifts usually over 2.5".

When I replaced the control arm bushings in the rear they were so bad I had metal on metal toward the back of the lower bracket. It gave me a bit of drift when braking. Chased it for months.

@BLACKJKU sorry, maybe I misread that. I thought you were talking about the driveshaft. Adjustable control arms all around.

@FishFam JKU did you pop it off to confirm or could you see it while it was still on there? How hard is it to just replace the bushings…need a press or anything?

@Ryandou
I had to pull the control arms before I could tell how bad it was. Under acceleration the axle would roll forward and rub the control arm sleeve. So much so it deformed the metal control arm sleeve.
A harbor freight ball joint press and some time they come loose.