Back Up Camera

Nolacenturion

I’ve got a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JK with stock infotainment.
I’m thinking I’d like a back up camera as I’ve gotten rather used to them in my company car.
There are cheap ones ( usually not the best in the end ) and very expensive ones ( probably unnecessary) available. I’m looking for a reasonably priced, reasonably simple installation system. I’d appreciate any advice, experience, and recommendations on one.
Additionally, if there’s a recommendation out there for an upgraded infotainment system that would accommodate a back up camera and car play, etc., that’d be cool, too.
Thanks

IMG_1664.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 2016 with the OEM head unit. I went with an IR Brandmotion from Crutchfield. I used JScan to activate the feature on the head unit vs.purchasing their module. It was much less expensive that way... Works great, no complaints with it at all.

Just for consideration, a dashcam with a reverse camera. My Wolfbox is great. I have zero visibility out the back window otherwise. The camera has good quality and wide view. Hookup is easy.
If you're talking about the Wolfbox smart mirror, add my vote. I've got one in each Wrangler, and I'm going to put one in the Vette.

Just for consideration, a dashcam with a reverse camera. My Wolfbox is great. I have zero visibility out the back window otherwise. The camera has good quality and wide view. Hookup is easy.
If you're talking about the Wolfbox smart mirror, add my vote. I've got one in each Wrangler, and I'm going to put one in the Vette.
So after your recommendations I looked up the Wolfbox Smart mirror. It looks like the perfect answer. How was the installation? I’m not well equipped tool-wise and not very talented. How difficult is the installation ?

So after your recommendations I looked up the Wolfbox Smart mirror. It looks like the perfect answer. How was the installation? I’m not well equipped tool-wise and not very talented. How difficult is the installation ?
The Wolfbox solution looks good! Let us know how the install goes...

A how to guide and feedback thread:
https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/how-to-install-a-smart-mirror-in-your-jk-wrangler.30739/

To keep the install clean I would suggest buying the power kit to wire it directly to fuse box. And on a 4door JK routing the rear camera is tight. I literally had zero length left in the camera cable from my spare tire. They sell extensions if it is just short.

The kit comes with almost everything needed. Just a couple screw drivers and maybe some extra long zip ties for fishing the cables through. 1/5 on the difficulty.

Scott

Reactions: Nolacenturion
I also installed a RVC and used JSCAN to enable it on the OEM navigation unit in our 2015, then I upgraded to an Android 10.1" touchscreen unit rather than pay $100+ for the updated map software.
I opted for this, and so far it's been good.
I had a few issues initially that a software update resolved, and I managed to break the supplied bezel while installing it with a heavy hand.
They even sent me a replacement bezel for free when I asked about purchasing a replacement.
1714231017324.png

And as for the RVC, I bought a very middle of the road version for about $20 that works just fine. It's not like I'm taking award winning 4K videos with it.

A how to guide and feedback thread:
https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/how-to-install-a-smart-mirror-in-your-jk-wrangler.30739/

To keep the install clean I would suggest buying the power kit to wire it directly to fuse box. And on a 4door JK routing the rear camera is tight. I literally had zero length left in the camera cable from my spare tire. They sell extensions if it is just short.

The kit comes with almost everything needed. Just a couple screw drivers and maybe some extra long zip ties for fishing the cables through. 1/5 on the difficulty.

Scott
Thanks. Very helpful. I’m thinking if the license plate bracket mount fur the camera. Not sure. If I should do that or the spare tire.

Thanks. Very helpful. I’m thinking if the license plate bracket mount fur the camera. Not sure. If I should do that or the spare tire.
You'll probably dislike the offset view if you use the license plate mounting location, as the spare tire will obstruct the view for the right rear corner.
Running the wires through the tailgate is straight forward. I even pushed the camera wires through the factory sleeve at the tailgate hinge area, as well as up through the 3rd brake light, so no wires are exposed except for a short section right at the camera.

Reactions: 1o1Proof
If you look in the How-To section of the forum, I did a fairly extensive write-up on the first install I did. It's pretty straight forward and there are no special skills or tools required.

[Addendum]Here's a link to the How-To article:

Sounds like you decided but we have the Wolfbox in two JK’s and very happy with them. Great product and easy install especially with @Dirty Dog write. I had to cut the hard piece out and splice the wires back together on mine to fit it through the firewall.

Reactions: Dirty Dog