2015 JK Engine noise

Wow, that is just beyond aggravating. All those components and no change, or a slight quieting of the noise?

I honestly would just drive it. At this point you know you changed just about everything out and you've got no codes or misfires. So rock n' roll, don't look back. Cross that bridge when and if you even get to it.

Does the noise kick in immediately at startup or does it take time to sound-off after warming up?

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like a tick, but maybe more of a slight knock. Considering that its amplified via recoded audio, I may be wrong. But it sounds like literally one thing causing that noise. Not a ticking chatter.

Wonder if by chance you do have an exhaust leak.
I guess I should say ultimately if it is an exhaust leak I may be pissed but really happy. If that makes sense. I had a truck that had a rod knock once. The knock never went away. This knock/tick/noise comes and goes.

Reactions: Threepointsix
Wow, that is just beyond aggravating. All those components and no change, or a slight quieting of the noise?

I honestly would just drive it. At this point you know you changed just about everything out and you've got no codes or misfires. So rock n' roll, don't look back. Cross that bridge if you even get to it and have any issues.

Does the noise kick in immediately at startup or does it take time to sound-off after warming up?
It doesn’t start right away. Oil pump has to come off high speed. When the idle settles out it has the noise. Drive it down the street and it will do it at every stop light. Hit the interstate for 20 miles and it doesn’t happen. From the time I get off the interstate it may happen and may not before I get home. Seems very temperature dependent. I have watched oil pressure and no noise at 27-29 psi. Above 30 psi you can hear it. You can listen to the damn thing at idle it comes and goes. Haha. I’m going crazy here.

It doesn’t start right away. Oil pump has to come off high speed. When the idle settles out it has the noise. Drive it down the street and it will do it at every stop light. Hit the interstate for 20 miles and it doesn’t happen. From the time I get off the interstate it may happen and may not before I get home. Seems very temperature dependent. I have watched oil pressure and no noise at 27-29 psi. Above 30 psi you can hear it. You can listen to the damn thing at idle it comes and goes. Haha. I’m going crazy here.
How are you checking oil pressure, with an OBDII or Jscan?

If it comes and goes- literally goes away, then I can't imagine how it's a lifter (lash adjuster) or rocker follower.

How are you checking oil pressure, with an OBDII or Jscan?

If it comes and goes- literally goes away, then I can't imagine how it's a lifter (lash adjuster) or rocker follower.
Yeah. The mechanic had it hooked up to his computer that tracked everything. Could even see the changing of variable timing. Oil pressure followed the dash oil pressure. Nothing stood out on the diagnostics. I think I will break down and go to a dealer for an opinion. I will say….when I started down this path I watched a crapload of videos on the tick, researched forums, took to an entire different shop for diagnosis and then took where I ultimately did and both places said rockers.

Reactions: Threepointsix
@kbar691 I had four different shops tell me either they don't open engines anymore, or that they've attempted to fix "ticking" 3.6 engines and it didn't remedy the noise. Obviously unhappy customers after seeing the bill. So these shops no longer do them. 2 of the shops suggest customers go to a dealer.

The issue with dealers is EVERYTHING. They always use a moving goal post—they estimate one price, then give you another when they recommend more parts or even possibly a new engine. Still, maybe its worth having a Mopar lead listen for his opinion. But their money is in upselling and will likely ask you to leave it with them for a diagnosis. Which Id then say KMA, and drive it till it dies.

Keep us posted. It could end up being something simple. Either way, the information can help someone else in a similar situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbar691
@kbar691 I had four different shops tell me either they don't open engines anymore, or that they've attempted to fix "ticking" 3.6 engines and it didn't remedy the noise. Obviously unhappy customers after seeing the bill. So these shops no longer do them. 2 of the shops suggest customers go to a dealer.

The issue with dealers is EVERYTHING. They always use a moving goal post—they estimate one price, then give you another when they recommend more parts or even possibly a new engine. Still, maybe its worth having a Mopar lead listen for his opinion. But their money is in upselling and will likely ask you to leave it with them for a diagnosis. Which Id then say KMA, and drive it till it dies.

Keep us posted. It could end up being something simple. Either way, the information can help someone else in a similar situation.
I think it warrants having someone listen that works on them routinely. I by nature don’t trust a dealership for just the reasons you mentioned. Will keep you posted!

Sorry about all the problems ol buddy. I feel your pain brother! Doesn’t sound like any exhaust leak I have heard. That sound would drive me ballistic!

Reactions: kbar691
@kbar691 I gave up looking for a Tacoma and now looking to trade my JKU in for an Acura or other lux Japanese vehicle. Taco prices are obscene! And they suck on gas too. 🖕

Still keeping the TJ. I love that little fartbox.
I am a Toyota guy myself. On my second tundra. My fill up a few weeks back…..$131. Ouch. The Jeep is my sons first vehicle. I have a bad feeling I am gonna be 2 for 2 on third party purchased that are gonna milk me.

Man. I watched your video 4 times and it sounds like either a header leak or a cracked piston skirt.
Honestly, I was wondering if its something below the overhead cams too.

Im very curious to read what a dealer service tech's take is on the noise. Hoping they don't play games with a costly labor diagnosis and do give you some straight forward suggestions judging from their experience with these engines.

Honestly, I was wondering if its something below the overhead cams too.

Im very curious to read what a dealer service tech's take is on the noise. Hoping they don't play games with a costly labor diagnosis and do give you some straight forward suggestions judging from their experience with these engines.
Yeah my buddy had a 99 WJ, a piston skirt cracked and made a noise kinda like that until the skirt broke off. Then the noises got louder! I'm also curious about the dealers take on it.

Yeah my buddy had a 99 WJ, a piston skirt cracked and made a noise kinda like that until the skirt broke off. Then the noises got louder! I'm also curious about the dealers take on it.
I have it at the dealer now. We will know soon enough. What you don’t hear on the video is the tick/knock/aggravating anxiety producing noise does speed up for a tap or two and stops.

@Threepointsix Well, the tech at first said lifter. I let them know all that was replaced. They looked and confirmed all good. So now they say crank arm and needs a motor. At that point I am out of my league and would love to hear suggestions.