2015 JK Engine noise

Ok, good then you know well enough that they're solid.

On changing everything out: didn't you have them changed already with the exception of the cams? Maybe Im thinking another thread with a different JK. But if you already did, I wouldn't bother. However, when that cam comes out I'd ask the mechanic to literally pull and check the rocker rollers anyway since the cam is out. Never hurts. If it so happens that one of them is indeed failing or collaped, then maybe then it justifies popping all four off and inspecting those rollers and changing as needed.

Tough one on, though. Easy to say 'since you're in there, may as well change them all', but if you change them recently and the mechanic is confident that the present are fine, I wouldn't add the additional cost.

Hope this corrects the sound because Im telling you, I really suspect a weak lash adjuster on my passenger side and I too am planning on going in this Spring to check for myself.
You are correct. All rockers and lash adjusters were changed. I looked at the ones that came out and none were collapsed. I guess it is possible a bad one went in.

Reactions: Threepointsix
You are correct. All rockers and lash adjusters were changed. I looked at the ones that came out and none were collapsed. I guess it is possible a bad one went in.
Very interesting. None of the OG parts were bad? Holy hell.

Eagerly awaiting the follow-up on the cam change out and if anything else happens to be suspect. 🤘

Very interesting. None of the OG parts were bad? Holy hell.

Eagerly awaiting the follow-up on the cam change out and if anything else happens to be suspect. 🤘
Agree. It is strange. I guess the cam could have gone bad without the rocker but that seems sus. There is a bit of a ledge on that cam that can be felt with your finger nail but I am hard pressed to believe that is causing the tick. I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time I think about it.

I get a sick feeling in my stomach every time I think about it.
Same! As soon as I suspected a collapsed lash adjuster, my OCD has me constantly listening for some type of engine noise lol ~ my brother tells me Im mental. 😆

From all the videos Ive watched on YT with various refreshes and part replacements, all of them had successful results reusing the cams with grooves in the outsides of the lobes. I do believe most (if not all) dealers would recommend changing them if there's any wear showing in any location of the lobes. But Im very positive its for 1, an up-charge and 2, their protection in the case there is any question the tick remains. I bet they'd blame the client for not changing it under their recommendation. That would cover them if they're asked to go back in. It'd be on the clients dime.

Same! As soon as I suspected a collapsed lash adjuster, my OCD has me constantly listening for some type of engine noise lol ~ my brother tells me Im mental. 😆

From all the videos Ive watched on YT with various refreshes and part replacements, all of them had successful results reusing the cams with grooves in the outsides of the lobes. I do believe most (if not all) dealers would recommend changing them if there's any wear showing in any location of the lobes. But Im very positive its for 1, an up-charge and 2, their protection in the case there is any question the tick remains. I bet they'd blame the client for not changing it under their recommendation. That would cover them if they're asked to go back in. It'd be on the clients dime.
I completely agree. They do it so they cannot be pressed that they had an early failure. I am so damn confused on this issue. The tick sounds certainly like an upper end tick. It does not sound like a knock. Weird thing is this. I found a few sound recordings I took before the rockers and lash adjusters were replaced. The tick was certainly worse then. I wish I would have recorded a before and after to compare. Second funny thing is that where the tick would sound like it is coming from is right where the slightly damaged lobes are. I am hopeful that replacing that cam will fix it. I told the mechanic that if he can find damage we can talk replacing all, but I felt all the lobes of all 4 cams and those 2 lobes were the only funky ones.

If this doesn’t work I wonder if it is a lubrication issue where the lash adjuster isn’t staying pumped up.

@kbar691
Same here- I recorded a before video of the noise (prior to the replacements) and man, it was a tick-fest on both sides. Now its just a light sound on the passenger side and only happens after warmup. Though, the full on tick before the repair was the same —silent for start and warmup and after about a few miles of running and heating-up, it was loud. My lobes where all good, according to the shop. Even had two mechanics listen to it after all was changed and they said it was fine. This is exactly why I always do my own work when I can. This time, it was waaaay too cold to dare attempt it at home.

"If this doesn’t work I wonder if it is a lubrication issue where the lash adjuster isn’t staying pumped up."
Maybe it's a faulty adjuster from the jump? Doubtful, but these parts don't exactly have a good track recored, in my opinion.

@kbar691
Same here- I recorded a before video of the noise (prior to the replacements) and man, it was a tick-fest on both sides. Now its just a light sound on the passenger side and only happens after warmup. Though, the full on tick before the repair was the same —silent for start and warmup and after about a few miles of running and heating-up, it was loud. My lobes where all good, according to the shop. Even had two mechanics listen to it after all was changed and they said it was fine. This is exactly why I always do my own work when I can. This time, it was waaaay too cold to dare attempt it at home.

"If this doesn’t work I wonder if it is a lubrication issue where the lash adjuster isn’t staying pumped up."
Maybe it's a faulty adjuster from the jump? Doubtful, but these parts don't exactly have a good track recored, in my opinion.
You are right about that. And I like to do my own work too but I had multiple things coming due at the same time plus vacation so I opted the mechanic route. This is my sons vehicle when he gets his license. I had plenty of time to find a vehicle for him. I really wish I woulda done more of my own homework on the issues with these engines before I purchased because I woulda ran. But my buddy is a jeep guy and he praised them and the 3.6.

Honestly it will all be fine in the end and we will all be happy. Just a bit sour on it right now. All will be good though!

You are right about that. And I like to do my own work too but I had multiple things coming due at the same time plus vacation so I opted the mechanic route. This is my sons vehicle when he gets his license. I had plenty of time to find a vehicle for him. I really wish I woulda done more of my own homework on the issues with these engines before I purchased because I woulda ran. But my buddy is a jeep guy and he praised them and the 3.6.

Honestly it will all be fine in the end and we will all be happy. Just a bit sour on it right now. All will be good though!
Having the same issues, did you find out what it was? Thx

Good evening all. I have a 2015 jk sport with 71k miles. On startup I had noise that sounded like rocker arm noise that many have documented. I had rockers and lifters changed in both sides. Unfortunately the ticking noise is still there. The noise is apparent as the rpm’s line out and gets quiet after the engine gets up to temp (few minutes). Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated.
Is this a manual tranny?

Man, that is really frustrating! Im sorry, @kbar691 I'd be pissed too.

This might be a lot to ask, but any chance of you posting audio to the thread? Im really curious of what you're hearing and consider a tick that is faulty hardware.

Last edited:
Man, that is really frustrating! Im sorry, @kbar691 I'd be pissed too.

This might be a lot to ask, but any chance of you posting audio to the thread? Im really curious of what you're hearing and consider a tick that is faulty hardware.
Just got it home. I want to say it is better but I just can’t say for sure. The video sounds louder than what it does to me. Just as before the noise goes away when you step on the gas.

Just got it home. I want to say it is better but I just can’t say for sure. The video sounds louder than what it does to me. Just as before the noise goes away when you step on the gas.
View attachment 120911
Doesn't sound like a tick, but maybe more of a slight knock. Considering that its amplified via recoded audio, I may be wrong. But it sounds like literally one thing causing that noise. Not a ticking chatter.

Wonder if by chance you do have an exhaust leak.

Doesn't sound like a tick, but maybe more of a slight knock. Considering that its amplified via recoded audio, I may be wrong. But it sounds like literally one thing causing that noise. Not a ticking chatter.

Wonder if by chance you do have an exhaust leak.
Man if it turns out to be an exhaust leak I will be all sorts of pissed as I specifically asked for that to be looked at multiple times and the mechanic said it wasn’t. I do think the audio amplifies the sound as it doesn’t sound that bad standing next to it.