2011 JK: No start, no crank: Long story...

JFWolverine

My Jeep:
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
3.8L
Manual Transmission
Manual Door Locks and Windows
------------------------------------------------
Hey guys and gals...

I'm new here but have owned many Jeeps, am restoring a Wagoneer, and am no stranger to backyard mechanic-dom......but this issue has me stumped.

Here's the scenario:
My family went to the movies Saturday night. Beforehand Jeep has been acting absolutely fine. No lights, no weirdness...nothing. We came out of the movies 1.5 hours later and I have all dash lights (nothing weird), radio, blower, everything....ENGINE WON'T START. Turn the key over and just a simple click. Now, my immediate thought was "Dang...I just replaced the starter last summer but maybe it's out again". Again, I have no tools with me so we leave it overnight and I come back to it Sunday morning.

Step 1:
Checked battery. The battery is good: 12.5v

Step 2:
Installed a new starter. Same "click".

Step 3:
Checked voltage from battery to starter: 12.5...12.1 when trying to start.

Step 4:
Checked power between ignition and starter: 12.5 with key in "on" position...12.1 when trying to start

Step 5:
Being a manual, I jumped the clutch safety switch.....same "click".

Step 6:
Checked all grounds and installed a heavy gauge ground from block to frame for good measure. All grounds are clean and have good connectivity.

Step 7:
Replaced Ignition switch since it was cheap and easy. .....same "click".

Step 8:
After having a friend tow me home I take the battery out of my problematic JK and install in my 93 YJ. The YJ fired right up. I then took the YJ battery and installed in my problematic JK.........same "click".

Step 9:
Seriously contemplate taking a bat to the engine but go inside to the AC and cool down.

Step 10:
Checked voltage going to the starter relay...all good........same "click".

Step 11:
Replaced the starter relay with another 40a relay.....same "click".

Step 12:
Went through the "clearing" process by putting the negative/positive cables together for 5 minutes. After that reinstalled cables and turned the key to "On" for 45 seconds for the ECM to relearn...tried to start.....same "click".

Step 13:
At this point, I scoured the interwebs and can find nothing to help me. I'm contemplating replacing the TIPM but this issue isn't showing the signs of the typical "bad TIPM".

Step 14:
Registered an account here and am hoping someone...somewhere has had this issue and has a solution.

Did you try jumping the starter at the starter to see if it turns over?

I don't think this idea will work either but did you try putting the transfercase in 4 low?

Reactions: mrjp

I don't think this idea will work either but did you try putting the transfercase in 4 low?
Yessir...starter is hot when I do the old screwdriver trick. I went ahead and dropped the cash on a new TIPM yesterday as I'm at a loss for what it may be.

I was told by the technician that if the fuel pump relay in the tipm is bad that it won't allow the starter to turn over which seems like it would make sense. I'm just hoping this actually fixes the issue.

Sorry I forgot to say that yes I did try the 4-wheel low idea Sunday but it didn't work either.

Hey..sorry guys...been distracted the last couple of days. Wouldn't start with the screwdriver test but starter would turn. I'm still waiting on the TIPM..should be here tomorrow.

Well Gentleman...still nothing.

New TIPM has been installed...nothing but the same freaking click.

I'm truly at a loss. I took all connections at the posts apart and cleaned...even refitted a couple of endings. I truly don't know what else to try.

I'm truly at a loss. I took all connections at the posts apart and cleaned...even refitted a couple of endings. I truly don't know what else to try.
I was really hoping that would fix your problem maybe checking power to the relays while the key is in the start position you could have low voltage during load draw

Have you checked the voltage at the battery cable on the starter before trying to start it and while trying to start it? Also check the voltage on the small starter wire before and while trying to start it.

Last edited:

Damn. Was hoping you would have a happy ending for this.

UPDATE:
I went out this morning
Have you checked the voltage at the battery cable on the starter before trying to start it and while trying to start it? Also check the voltage on the small starter wire before and while trying to start it.
Yessir. Checked all of that multiple times. The voltage from the battery is great...12.3 or so. The ignition wire of course doesn't have voltage until you try to crank but gets 12.3 or so when trying to start. I even cleaned all of the connections, took the TIPM out and looked for broken wires, and double-checked all of the ground voltage from every ground I can find. All good.

I'm reading about the WCM (Wireless Control Module) right now. That puts me into another series of decisions, most likely all more money. IF the WCM is "locked up" or "lost connection" with the key that would definitely cause this scenario.

However, I don't have a proper scan tool to check for that specifically. I could purchase another WCM not knowing if that's the issue and then, I guess, a dealership would have to program it to my key. I hate all of this "security" crap. It's a Jeep. If someone wants in they're getting in. I have no security system and manual doors. I wish there was a way to simply bypass the WCM IF that is indeed the issue.

If anyone has any insight into the WCM and issues with it please let me know.

UPDATE:
I went out this morning

Yessir. Checked all of that multiple times. The voltage from the battery is great...12.3 or so. The ignition wire of course doesn't have voltage until you try to crank but gets 12.3 or so when trying to start. I even cleaned all of the connections, took the TIPM out and looked for broken wires, and double-checked all of the ground voltage from every ground I can find. All good.

I'm reading about the WCM (Wireless Control Module) right now. That puts me into another series of decisions, most likely all more money. IF the WCM is "locked up" or "lost connection" with the key that would definitely cause this scenario.

However, I don't have a proper scan tool to check for that specifically. I could purchase another WCM not knowing if that's the issue and then, I guess, a dealership would have to program it to my key. I hate all of this "security" crap. It's a Jeep. If someone wants in they're getting in. I have no security system and manual doors. I wish there was a way to simply bypass the WCM IF that is indeed the issue.

If anyone has any insight into the WCM and issues with it please let me know.

I'm thinking if it was the WCM you would have the red dot on the right side of your instrument cluster.

Thanks @BLACKJKU but I had actually tried that previously.

HOWEVER.......

The issue has been fixed.

Here's what happened:

In the original post, I mentioned that I first replaced the starter, and after that didn't work I replaced the ignition switch.

I was getting plenty of juice to the ignition wire and power wire on the starter.

After hours of cleaning every ground, testing every wire, and coming up with nothing I decided to at least take out the new starter and return it (to get back my $200).

I re-installed the old starter and for kicks, I tried to start the Jeep.

IT STARTED. IMMEDIATELY.

I then started, turned off, started, turned off on repeat until I felt it was actually fixed.

Turns out, when I was jumping the starter with the screwdriver I had burnt up the solenoid. Ooooooops.

So, if I had not burnt up the solenoid on the new starter it would've been a $30 fix and 10 minutes.

I feel like an idiot but I am very very glad it wasn't something much worse. I think I'll keep the new TIPM because my horn and radio controls now work when they didn't before.

Thanks for everyone's help and I hope my mistake may help someone in the future.

@JFWolverine Glad you got it sorted, but I'm still not sure what the original cause was. Was it the ignition switch or the TIPM since those appear to be the two parts that are now new.

When I've had that click on my '08, I've had to pull the 60A IOD fuse to reset the system but that usually happens in the winter/very dry conditions.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Thanks @BLACKJKU but I had actually tried that previously.

HOWEVER.......

The issue has been fixed.

Here's what happened:

In the original post, I mentioned that I first replaced the starter, and after that didn't work I replaced the ignition switch.

I was getting plenty of juice to the ignition wire and power wire on the starter.

After hours of cleaning every ground, testing every wire, and coming up with nothing I decided to at least take out the new starter and return it (to get back my $200).

I re-installed the old starter and for kicks, I tried to start the Jeep.

IT STARTED. IMMEDIATELY.

I then started, turned off, started, turned off on repeat until I felt it was actually fixed.

Turns out, when I was jumping the starter with the screwdriver I had burnt up the solenoid. Ooooooops.

So, if I had not burnt up the solenoid on the new starter it would've been a $30 fix and 10 minutes.

I feel like an idiot but I am very very glad it wasn't something much worse. I think I'll keep the new TIPM because my horn and radio controls now work when they didn't before.

Thanks for everyone's help and I hope my mistake may help someone in the future.
The "click" issue sounded like a bad solenoid. I doubt that the solenoid on the new motor was good and that you burned it out unless you tried jumping the new starter before installing.

Reactions: Save-A-Horse