2009 manual to auto swap

Lmoore87

I’m wanting to swap from a manual to an auto as my wife hates it and my daughter refuses to drive it. I’ve read several threads about different swaps but I’m wanting to know about the 09 specifically. Main things I’m concerned about are the wiring and pcm. Can the pcm just be reflashed or does it need to be changed and is there a separate harness for the transmission? I have HP tuners and can change anything in the pcm I need to and it also gives me the option to change the transmission type. I could probably even get a stock tune file from an auto and reflash it with that if the file is the only difference.

You would be better off just buying them a Jeep with a automatic trans.
Especially considering how much better the manual is for the 3.8 engine. (2007-2011)

Specifically, if you have larger than stock tires on it and it's not a rubicon the auto trans will be a massive downgrade in performance. Even for the Rubicon, anything over 32" tires will feel like you are running on half power. The 4 speed trans for those years was built for fuel efficiency, not for jeeps.

I would highly suggest looking into a 2012 or newer jeep as the 5 speed that comes with the 3.6 is pretty much on par with the manual for those years. It would cost you about the same as trying to put auto in a 2009.

I've done manual to auto swaps in other vehicles. It's absolutely possible. It's also absolutely not for the faint at heart. It's probably fair to say that if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't attempt it.

Roger on the wife and keep the Jeep but definitely not affordable for me. My hope is I can get the two of them to just learn to drive it and be done with it. If not it’s something that’s gonna happen. The Jeep is in really good shape and paid for. I have swapped an auto to a manual in a Chrysler conquest Tsi when I was a little younger and also had another one I put a turbocharged Buick 3.8 in with a 700r4 transmission and was using a grand National computer for engine management and although I’m not as much as a glutton for punishment as I used to be I don’t think this would be nearly as difficult. We’ll see what happens as far as them showing a little willingness to learn but as of right now they have none. Main reason for asking was it had my curiosity. There are a couple threads on jkowners I found where it’s been done.

Roger on the wife and keep the Jeep but definitely not affordable for me. My hope is I can get the two of them to just learn to drive it and be done with it. If not it’s something that’s gonna happen. The Jeep is in really good shape and paid for. I have swapped an auto to a manual in a Chrysler conquest Tsi when I was a little younger and also had another one I put a turbocharged Buick 3.8 in with a 700r4 transmission and was using a grand National computer for engine management and although I’m not as much as a glutton for punishment as I used to be I don’t think this would be nearly as difficult. We’ll see what happens as far as them showing a little willingness to learn but as of right now they have none. Main reason for asking was it had my curiosity. There are a couple threads on jkowners I found where it’s been done.

A auto to manual is always easier, but these Jeeps have alot more electronics then necessary.