2.5” AEV Lift Install

Yeah the 'ole widowmakers. When I use them I use 3. Had to buy two sets but it's cheaper than a funeral.
I have only used them once and that will be the last time haha. I was maneuvering a spring as I was putting it in place and one slipped off. Scary. Now I just always drop the axle.

Reactions: Vman
I have only used them once and that will be the last time haha. I was maneuvering a spring as I was putting it in place and one slipped off. Scary. Now I just always drop the axle.

Yeah they're not bad if you just need a little extra room but I'd never really crank em down. That's exactly why I use 3 though. If one slips, you still have two holding it (hopefully).

I’ve got 26K on it. The relocation brackets seem different then the ones used in the couple of videos I bought and seem pretty decent. Except having a issue with the right rear due to mounting bracket for the track bar.

The relocation brackets worked ok for me.

Teraflex also makes a nice little add-on that helps keep your brake lines where they should be if you get longer ones.

Yeah found a link. Not expensive at all.

@Vman did you have an issue with the right rear relocation bracket? I can get it to fit but due to where the track mount it the brake line seems to be hitting that bracket as it bumps out from the frame. Other side was perfect.

So what did you all do to torque the control arm bolts? Seems like the general rule is to torque them with the wheels on the ground, bit seems like they would be difficult to get to. Seems like if the axles were on jack stands it would serve the same purpose as the weight is where it supposed to be. Would be a lot better access to the control arm bolts.

@Vman did you have an issue with the right rear relocation bracket? I can get it to fit but due to where the track mount it the brake line seems to be hitting that bracket as it bumps out from the frame. Other side was perfect.

Hm I don't remember having any issues. If I don't get too large a honey-do list tomorrow I'll take a look.

Reactions: Danarch
So what did you all do to torque the control arm bolts? Seems like the general rule is to torque them with the wheels on the ground, bit seems like they would be difficult to get to. Seems like if the axles were on jack stands it would serve the same purpose as the weight is where it supposed to be. Would be a lot better access to the control arm bolts.
I did mine on jack stands under the axels. Can you send a picture of the relocation bracket issue?

Yeah on stands is fine since it's the same thing really.

The full weight of the vehicle on the axle is the point, which is the same as tires on.

I usually put the tires back on though for stuff like that just to make sure it's more safe. Some of the suspension components are like 125 ft lbs.

A lot of the bolts have flag nuts so those are easy. For the ones that are not I use a long breaker bar and let the handle rest on the body or the concreate while I strain with the torque wrench on the other side of the bolt.

Reactions: Bw2368
Thanks guys. Here is the relocation bracket on the right rear. The area in red is where the lone hits. I thought about bending the bracket out some, but then I think it may hit the sway bar.

00A8DD91-F644-4A68-B3A0-881636F1C4DD.jpeg

Yeah on stands is fine since it's the same thing really.

The full weight of the vehicle on the axle is the point, which is the same as tires on.

I usually put the tires back on though for stuff like that just to make sure it's more safe. Some of the suspension components are like 125 ft lbs.

A lot of the bolts have flag nuts so those are easy. For the ones that are not I use a long breaker bar and let the handle rest on the body or the concreate while I strain with the torque wrench on the other side of the bolt.
Thanks for the info. Correct they have the flag nuts which are handy.

Seeing it now reminds me why I didn't like them. I just thought moving the lines away from the frame made them susceptible to getting damaged easily. I don't think I even got to that side before I decided not to use them.

Did you all install the geometry correction brackets or just do the 2.5” lift? I am debating to whether to install or them or not.

Completed the install this weekend, boy that was a job. I did not get the geometry corrections brackets installed. Overall the install was smooth. The right front shock was a pain the in butt to install. Disconnecting the driveshaft was difficult too, I thought one of the bolts might snap off, but it didn’t. There was a lot of lock-tight on them. I held the shaft up with an extra jack-stand which worked well. I didn’t need to use the “widow maker” (coil compressor). Posting a couple of pictures in the “JK Today” sections.

Completed the install this weekend, boy that was a job. I did not get the geometry corrections brackets installed. Overall the install was smooth. The right front shock was a pain the in butt to install. Disconnecting the driveshaft was difficult too, I thought one of the bolts might snap off, but it didn’t. There was a lot of lock-tight on them. I held the shaft up with an extra jack-stand which worked well. I didn’t need to use the “widow maker” (coil compressor). Posting a couple of pictures in the “JK Today” sections.
I cut out the plastic honeycomb to make the passenger front shock install easier. Congrats!!

I did the same thing. Also moved the part of the fender well liner.
Nice, I took out rc fender liners for the falcon 3.3s and later installed jcr inner fenders for the Falcon 3.3s so I didn’t have to deal with that at the time. Glad you got it done! Did you get an alignment from an off-road shop?

Nice, I took out rc fender liners for the falcon 3.3s and later installed jcr inner fenders for the Falcon 3.3s so I didn’t have to deal with that at the time. Glad you got it done! Did you get an alignment from an off-road shop?
I have not yet, just wrapped it up Saturday night around 10:30. Driven a few times and it seems to drive straight. I noticed the steering wheel is slightly off-center but other then that all seems well. I’ll drive it a while and see what I think and if I want to install the geometry correction brackets. So far seems fine, but haven’t been in the freeway yet.

Reactions: Jermbob28
Good deal. Hard part is over .

Reactions: Danarch
I think I will get the Teraflex brake line brackets. My question is how much brake line be in front of the bracket compared to after the bracket? I have that question now even with the Zipties AEV provided. I am not sure how much slack to pit before and after the bracket / Ziptie.