2.5” AEV Lift Install

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I am hoping to install my AEV 2.5” DualSport lift this weekend. Instructions look fairly clear, but does anyone know if there is a good YouTube video of the install? I’ve done some searching, but haven‘t come up with a very good one yet. Thanks in advance.

I am sure YouTube will have one for that lift but, the full kits are all pretty similar in nature. Just some general tips. Make sure to be on level ground and chaulk your tires and use jack stands. When drooping out the front suspension it is often easier or necessary to remove the front drive shaft prior. If you put in longer brake lines MAKE SURE you fully bleed them!!! If the front track bar is at the proper length but having trouble going in you can start the Jeep with tires on the ground, have someone carefully steer for you to align the bolt hole. Only torque everything once you are resting on level ground. Would recommend an alignment from a 4x4 shop after. Take your time and have fun! Good luck!

Reactions: mrjp
Thanks, I am sure it will work out. Doesn’t look to complicated. The person at AEV who took my order said he had a buddy in my town, but wouldn’t give me his name 😂.

It’s fairly easy. Disconnect front driveshaft. I believe it’s in the instructions. Biggest thing is have all your torque values on a separate sheet of paper so you can pin it to a wall or stick it to your tool box lid. Much easier than hunting for each one. A good undercarriage wash before is nice too.

Reactions: Danarch and mrjp
Thanks for the advice! Right now I am wondering / hoping I’ll be able to lift it high enough with my floor jack and jack stands to drop the axle enough to get the springs out. Does anyone know if the new springs are taller then stock springs are or they just stiffer?

Thanks for the advice! Right now I am wondering / hoping I’ll be able to lift it high enough with my floor jack and jack stands to drop the axle enough to get the springs out. Does anyone know if the new springs are taller then stock springs are or they just stiffer?
They will be taller. I had to take off my tires in order to get my springs in but mine are really long when not compressed. You may not have to. If your floor jack is a little too short you can use a 4x4 or 6x6 pressure treated segment of wood horizontally to get give it that extra height.

Thanks, I’ll be taking the tires off to get to the springs and shocks. Will use the 4x if needed. That was my first thought. Also trying to decide if I want to install the correction brackets or wait and see how it drives. Only 2.5” so thinking it may be okay without them.

I put the floor jack under The axle on each side, jacked it up and used jack stands right behind the wheel on the frame. Then I removed the wheels and when I dropped the axle the brake disk was almost at the floor to get the new springs in.

I put the floor jack under The axle on each side, jacked it up and used jack stands right behind the wheel on the frame. Then I removed the wheels and when I dropped the axle the brake disk was almost at the floor to get the new springs in.
Thank you for the info. I guess that was the lowest spot you found? My plan is to jack up then look for the safest and lowest part of the Jeep to place the stands under.

It may easy to know once removed, but which end is the “top” of the spring? I assume the area where the coils are closer spaced or have a smaller diameter.

Was able to find a couple of videos on install which was good. Ended up purchasing a set of ratchet wrenches, a set of coil spring compressors (which I’ve used before for struts) in case I can’t get enough drop they said it was helpful. Went out sprayed all the bolts / nuts tonight with penetrating oil.

Reactions: Largehit71
Hoping I don’t need them. If I do I am sure it will be minimal Yes they can be dangerous. I had to use them several years ago to change my McPherson struts out.

Hope your install goes well. Only part of the aev kit I didn't like was the sway bar link extension brackets. I purchased some adjustable links.

Hope your install goes well. Only part of the aev kit I didn't like was the sway bar link extension brackets. I purchased some adjustable links.
Thank you, I’ve thought about maybe doing the same thing. The you tube I watched didn’t like the front brake line relocation brackets, what do you think of them? Have any issues with them?

I didn't like the brake line relocation brackets either so went with a set of braided hoses and front brake hose anchor kit. I didn't like the zip tie to the shock setup.

@Bw2368 thank you. Agreed the zip tie seems a little odd. I’ll go with what they provided for now. Thought about new brake lines too. I just hate bleeding brakes for some reason.

Reactions: Vman
Thank you, I’ve thought about maybe doing the same thing. The you tube I watched didn’t like the front brake line relocation brackets, what do you think of them? Have any issues with them?

The relocation brackets worked ok for me.

Teraflex also makes a nice little add-on that helps keep your brake lines where they should be if you get longer ones.

Yeah found a link. Not expensive at all.

@Bw2368 thank you. Agreed the zip tie seems a little odd. I’ll go with what they provided for now. Thought about new brake lines too. I just hate bleeding brakes for some reason.
I have Teraflex flex anchors. They work well. How many miles on the Jeep? Could kill two birds with one stone and do a brake fluid flush. Got someone to pump the brakes for you?

Reactions: mrjp and Bw2368