Yet another cracked windshield

Aces Full

I've had this '13 Wrangler Sahara for less than 1 year, and I'm about to put in for my 3rd insurance claim for a cracked windshield. Before you ask, I've done NO off-roading. This continues to happen on highways. I know that the vertical shape of the windshield doesn't help matters. A I the only one going through this?

Yeah, this is my 3rd as well, I got mine replaced twice last year within a couple of month apart.
I notice the cars that cuts into the front in a highway normally what gets the grits flying into my path.

As you mentioned, the significant vertical angle of the windshield does subject it to a lot more damage due to direct impact and not many glancing impacts. It's one of those ownership facts of life for Jeep owners. Even if it doesn't get cracked, it will still get pretty dinged up just from road grime and other stuff.
It won't help so much with larger, heavier objects, but I've had the Weathertech stone & bug deflector on all of my vehicles over the years, and it does work.

50169_Wrangler_07_Unlimited1.jpg

I wonder if Rain-x would help any, it makes water slide right off. Of course water doesn't have any sharp edges.

physics says that a rock coming off a tire or truck will bounce at a lower arc over time and distance as energy is lost to the ground. Soon it will be rolling on the ground or roadway and then come to a stand still. Trailing distance is a friend.

Am I the only one who this has never happened to on any Jeep Wrangler (TJ or JK) I've ever owned? I keep hearing about it, but have never experienced it (knock on wood)!

Reactions: R0NAN_4x4
I've had rocks hit my from window of course, but are you not having the nick 'repaired' so it doesn't turn into a crack? My insurance covers that with no deductible. Hell, there is a company here that will come to you and do it, even at my work.

For me at least, stock tires seem to cause this the most. I once watched some debris get tossed forward from my tire then arc up and into my windshield. I believe it passed between the bumper and the plastic fender. I have 33s on my current jeep and it's been quite awhile since something has hit my windshield, since before the upgrade in fact.

This could be a false... negative.. but here's one thing you could try. I had a buddy that would put black rubber matting, 1/4 inch stuff used on farms in the gap above the bumper with stainless screws.

I wonder if the JL Sports that come with an air dam in that spot have lower instances of rock window.

Am I the only one who this has never happened to on any Jeep Wrangler (TJ or JK) I've ever owned? I keep hearing about it, but have never experienced it (knock on wood)!

My windshield had 3 chips in it when I bought the Jeep, I had them repaired and so far so good.

Reactions: Chris
You all think the JK has a bad windshield design?

Look at the complaints about the weak windshield on JL Wranglers. TONS of people, like 2/3 of owners complain about the JL windshield propensity to crack with even small chips that turn into major cracks across the whole windshield, most of the time in just a matter of minutes before they can ever pull over. Even ones that have the chip filled will crack across after the repairs have been made or when the next one happens almost immediately. Sad since it isn't anywhere near as bad as this on previous Wrangler models with even less angled and flatter windshields!

So far it seems the cure for most crack problems is an aftermarket windshield that isn't so thin, uses more windshield sealant glue and doesn't use locator pins. Something about that OEM design may cause this on JL's but as far as JK's go, I had my windshield replaced with a thicker aftermarket. The OEM had lots of gravel nicks and cracks that at some point finally one cracked across before it could be filled in.

The aftermarket has more than 75K miles on it with no real cracks. I suspect the thicker than original and better glued in install had something to do with the better performance. It doesn't leak, has several nice sized chips and dings already, some with cracks starting about 1/8 to 1/4" for years already, but they just don't grow across like the OEM windshield. It's more than 7 years now since the replacement windshield was installed and I have to say the aftermarket is far and above better than the original without doubt!

The cracked windshield wasn't near as bad to look through as a previous TJ that was 13 years old at the time it happened, the windshield got sand blasted in a desert sand storm. At night it looked like the stars in a desert sky with oncoming headlights after that incident. I had to replace it because the glare from thousands of tiny nicks and chips was so annoying, I would get headaches from it. It was original, lots of miles and never cracked across even if I didn't fill in the chips or nicks.

RR

My Tj windshield looks like its been sandblasted but still only has a few small chips. My Jk windshield came with a decent sized chip and has developed two more within 2k kilometres of purchase. I am convinced that the shorter hood length is leading to more rock strikes but have zero evidence to back that up.

I have had my Jeep for a year and a few odd months, drive on the highway/freeway every day and haven't had a crack yet. Some have hit, but they just bounce.

Reactions: mrjp
Luckily I haven’t had any problems. Windshield is about 8 months old. There was a large crack in the original while I was looking at it while it was on the car lot. Told them no sale unless new windshield and new tires. ( tires were due for a change too)

Reactions: mrjp
More updates,
Maybe another thing that has affected the windshield on our JKUR is that about 2-3 years into ownership, we installed an aftermarket bumper with a large stinger/fog lamp bar that sticks up and out a bit. This may disrupt the oncoming over-hood airflow stream enough to create some kind of wind disturbance so the windshield is more protected from flying hazards. I haven't had many audible strikes against it since the bumper change so there may be something to it. Don't know for sure but the hood still wiggles around a little at freeway speeds. There are a few good sized dings from before the new bumper but post new windshield, but still none have spread with the huge temperature swings of -30 to +125F temps the wife and I have been in with it thus far. Again, it's an aftermarket windshield, not the original factory one for the last 6 years.

RR