Will it hurt to drive my JK with an O2 sensor code?

Bank1 refers to cylinder 1, bank2 refers to cylinder 2 (firing order). I do not know if the 3.6 is the same as my 3.8. Anyhow on mine passenger side is 1 and driver side is 2. Sensor 1s are ahead of the cat, sensor 2s are aft.

3_8-v6-L.jpg

Nope engine is the wrong way...Maybe this is it. This is a 3.6L Jeep and Cherokee, so the web page said...
Jeep 3.6.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, well I'm way late to this one, but as mentioned above, it definitely won't hurt to drive it with the code.
The service tech at Jeep here in Pensacola told me yesterday that it could affect my fuel system and consumption, and could damage the catalytic converter. Could start to run rough too he says....I don't want to wait around to find out. So I'm replacing them.

This is definitely what I was looking for...! Thanks...Now I know...So my error message was "02 Sensor 2/2 Circuit Low Engine Code P0157" So my guess is the 2/2 designates bank 2 sensor 2 which is the downstream one...

Right, downstream just tells the ECM that the Cat is doing it's job along with the No1 sensor. That's why we said it wouldn't hurt that much to drive it. If it was the no1 sensor no you shouldn't drive it because that one controls the A/F ratio.

Right, downstream just tells the ECM that the Cat is doing it's job along with the No1 sensor. That's why we said it wouldn't hurt that much to drive it. If it was the no1 sensor no you shouldn't drive it because that one controls the A/F ratio.
Yep, makes sense once you see the diagrams and understand the layout system...BTW, there is an online Chilton manual available about $29.00 rental fee per year. May be worth the money to have access to this...I was old school, came up in the 60's working in full service gas stations learning the older 60's 70's cars, so the big green book as I called it was always in the shop...Had all the stuff in there! Same as my military days in the air force. I was a crew chief/aircraft mechanic, (6) years, went thru all the long training schools, using the books...It's all there, each system in detail...Thanks again

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
Yep, makes sense once you see the diagrams and understand the layout system...BTW, there is an online Chilton manual available about $29.00 rental fee per year. May be worth the money to have access to this...I was old school, came up in the 60's working in full service gas stations learning the older 60's 70's cars, so the big green book as I called it was always in the shop...Had all the stuff in there! Same as my military days in the air force. I was a crew chief/aircraft mechanic, (6) years, went thru all the long training schools, using the books...It's all there, each system in detail...Thanks again

Yea same with me grew up working on the simple old 60's and 70's vehicles. I have a big stack of the old Chilton manuals yet even though they haven't been opened in years.

Reactions: mrjp and Rockinrod
The service tech at Jeep here in Pensacola told me yesterday that it could affect my fuel system and consumption, and could damage the catalytic converter. Could start to run rough too he says....I don't want to wait around to find out. So I'm replacing them.

A bad O2 sensor could indeed affect fuel consumption and possibly damage the cats, yes. However, that wouldn't be likely to happen unless you drove with it for a long, long time. Not a few weeks, I'm taking months, maybe years.

Either way, replace them!

Reactions: TROY66/68
Well, it ended up being the drivers side downstream it's called, which they replaced this morning...I always like to save my old parts...Here tiz...! So i guess that is the P0157 location on the 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport...

BTW, I ask the guy there what brand it was. It was indeed an NGK brand....He says that is what they stock. Thank you for all who offered input and helped me out. I appreciate it...!! Have one more issue I may post, the Oil Cooler.

Rodney

02-1.jpg

02-2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a grave yard of my JK parts I replaced in the back. Looks like the NGK I have on order 2/2. But I am not crawling under my jeep to replace it until the weather is better. F-ing spring my guess. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: mrjp and Rockinrod