Will it hurt to drive my JK with an O2 sensor code?

Rockinrod

I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport, with a little over 50K miles on it... Just got my very first check engine light on it...

Said it was the 02 sensor 2/2 Circuit Low...Engine code P0157...

My extended warranty covers all of these. Problem is, they are so busy I cannot get in there until Jan 8th...

My question, will it hurt to drive this until then...? My wife uses it for work...I'm retired...I don't want to do any further damage to the catalytic converters or anything else...

Thanks,

Rodney

sensor info.jpg

I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport, with a little over 50K miles on it... Just got my very first check engine light on it...

Said it was the 02 sensor 2/2 Circuit Low...Engine code P0157...

My extended warranty covers all of these. Problem is, they are so busy I cannot get in there until Jan 8th...

My question, will it hurt to drive this until then...? My wife uses it for work...I'm retired...I don't want to do any further damage to the catalytic converters or anything else...

Thanks,

Rodney

View attachment 117547

I believe that's the down stream sensor and it won't hurt that much to drive it. The o2's aren't much different then changing a spark plug, good thing you don't have to gap them. Just make sure to get a NGK o2.

Reactions: mrjp and Rockinrod
I believe that's the down stream sensor and it won't hurt that much to drive it. The o2's aren't much different then changing a spark plug, good thing you don't have to gap them. Just make sure to get a NGK o2.
Not sure what brand this place uses, just have to go with what they have. My extended warranty pays for these, and a rent car if needed. I just had the oil cooler leak on me last month...Jeep dealer took care of it, and included a rental car for free, for three days...Warranty paid for everything...! I bought this extended warranty when i purchased the Jeep new in Baton Rouge...Cost me $1,250.00...Almost paid for itself now!

In the future, if I still have this Jeep, i will buy this special socket for changing these and do it myself...But it's done for free now, so I'll do it this way until then...

thanks!!

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
Not sure what brand this place uses, just have to go with what they have. My extended warranty pays for these, and a rent car if needed. I just had the oil cooler leak on me lat month...Jeep dealer took care of it, and included a rental car for free, for three days...Warranty paid for everything...! I bought this extended warranty when i purchased the Jeep new in Baton Rouge...Cost me $1,250.00...Almost paid for itself now!

thanks!!

If they don't put in what is OEM the Jeep may not like it and set off the CEL again, NGK is OEM. Was it Car Shield extended warranty.

If they don't put in what is OEM the Jeep may not like it and set off the CEL again, NGK is OEM. Was it Car Shield extended warranty.
Have two policies...One which Jeep uses, which I bought with the vehicle...Then I do have Car Shield the Diamond Plan, the most expensive...Covers all the Electronics, and Emissions systems components...The place I'm taking it to is ASE Certified, which I told them I required...In order to use the warranty...Taking me over a week to get the Jeep into the dealer so I'm using my backup Service center

Reactions: mrjp
I see those Car Shield commercials all the time on TV, always wondered if they paid as well as they claim on TV.

I see those Car Shield commercials all the time on TV, always wondered if they paid as well as they claim on TV.
I called them the other day and told them the problem. They referred me to my policy, showed me the page and everything...All the emission system is covered, as is the electronics package, GPS, stereo system, etc...

Is there anyone here who can specifically identify which sensor it is with the code given here? I'd like to know for sure...All I know is there are four of them, two on each side of the engine, for each exhaust bank...You tube showed one of them being under the fender cover, wheel well area...I'm assuming that is the downstream one...Not sure. I saw two when I opened the hood, upper side of the exhaust manifolds..

Rodney

sensor info.jpg

Is there anyone here who can specifically identify which sensor it is with the code given here? I'd like to know for sure...All I know is there are four of them, two on each side of the engine, for each exhaust bank...You tube showed one of them being under the fender cover, wheel well area...I'm assuming that is the downstream one...Not sure. I saw two when I opened the hood, upper side of the exhaust manifolds..

Rodney
It's passenger side after the Cat. Did you reset the CEL and then the light came back on for the PO157?
Not sure how to reset that, and what the CEL is. Can you explain?

Rodney

Not sure how to reset that, and what the CEL is. Can you explain? The top one or the bottom one in the fender well?

CEL is your Check Engine Light and on that picture you posted at the bottom it says reset your Check Engine Control Unit.

I just got a code P0058, 2/2 should mean bank2 sensor2. On my 2010 that is driver side rear sensor. Just ordered a new one from Amazon.CA a NGK 23070. Sensor is still good just the preheat has failed. No biggy it only comes on the first 2 min when the engine is cold to reduce emissions. But if the whole sensor has failed your eng will run rich, until it is replaced. Should not be a problem in the short term.

I just got a code P0058, 2/2 should mean bank2 sensor2. On my 2010 that is driver side rear sensor. Just ordered a new one from Amazon.CA a NGK 23070. Sensor is still good just the preheat has failed. No biggy it only comes on the first 2 min when the engine is cold to reduce emissions. But if the whole sensor has failed your eng will run rich, until it is replaced. Should not be a problem in the short term.
I'm not familiar with the codes. i don't know bank 1 from bank 2...I would need to correlate that info into which side and upper or lower sensor. All i know is I can see two on the top with the hood up. One on each side of the engine. Then there should be two more behind the fender or wheel well linings. One on each side...I'll play with it tomorrow and dig around...

Okay, well I'm way late to this one, but as mentioned above, it definitely won't hurt to drive it with the code.

Bank1 refers to cylinder 1, bank2 refers to cylinder 2 (firing order). I do not know if the 3.6 is the same as my 3.8. Anyhow on mine passenger side is 1 and driver side is 2. Sensor 1s are ahead of the cat, sensor 2s are aft.

Bank1 refers to cylinder 1, bank2 refers to cylinder 2 (firing order). I do not know if the 3.6 is the same as my 3.8. Anyhow on mine passenger side is 1 and driver side is 2. Sensor 1s are ahead of the cat, sensor 2s are aft.
I'll have to find an online manual to see what the firing order is. Like the old Chilton Manuals I used to work with.