Will be in need of new tires fairly soon, any opinions?

Mikefly562

Supporting Member
On my 2013 2-Door JK, I'll be soon replacing the tires. I'm currently running Toyo Open Country R/Ts, and they are now a little over 5 years old with approx 45,000 miles on them. The tires have held up well, and are actually still in good shape, but there are signs of some micro-cracking due to oxidation, but not enough to have to replace them right away, but I do plan to replace them within the next 1-2 months. I'm currently looking at buying new Toyo Open Country R/Ts, but I'm also looking at Toyo Open Country A/T III's which just came out in March 2020 as an option. I use my Jeep for daily driving (alternating with my 2020 JLU Willy's), as well as light - moderate off roading in dry conditions. I live in the Seattle area, so I'm in need of a set of tires that can handle all weather conditions, and the new Open Country A/T IIIs have the 3 peak snow symbol, in addition to the M+S designation, so that is very tempting, plus they are cheaper than the Open Country R/Ts. Main disadvantage of the Open Country A/T III is that they are a new release, so there is really no history yet of user reviews. My 2013 JK is on a 3.5" AEV Dual Sport Lift and 3.73 gear ratio, and actually handles fairly well on the highway with my current tires.

Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on tires they have or like...I'm open minded too, for going with other brands. I'm looking at durability, traction, and ability to handle various weather conditions, and I'm willing to spend more if it means getting a better tire. Thanks!

Edit: My jeep axles are currently stock, and my current tires, and ones I'm looking at, are Load E...should I be looking at a lighter load C instead of E? I have not really noticed any problems with my Load E, but just wanted to get thoughts. I'll most likely re-gear to 4.88 in the future, but so far 3.73 has not been a major issue, despite on and off road usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Edwards
I have bfg k02s on both jeeps. I swear by them. Extremely capable offroad and a delight to drive on road

X2 to this.

I've run a lot of tires, but the KO2s are my favorite hands down.

They perform exceptionally well in just about any terrain from packed snow to daily driving. You can wheel in just about any terrain with them other than really sharp, jagged rocks, and deep mud (none of which I do). For that you want a true M/T tire, but M/Ts also such for daily driving or mostly paved roads.

Thanks for the responses...this really looks like a great option for the BFG K02s. Its actually really hard to decide, but I've heard a lot of good things about the K02s, so I'm willing to give them a try. They seem to be priced a little cheaper than the Open Country R/Ts too, so that is a nice plus.

Reactions: theRealCrazy
I will end up going with the kenda klever rt tire. Have them on my silverado and have been the best all around tire I have ever had. Plus it made me mad when they stopped making the Armstrong norseman radial a long time ago. Now that was the best tire I have ever had.

Last edited:
On my 2013 2-Door JK, I'll be soon replacing the tires. I'm currently running Toyo Open Country R/Ts, and they are now a little over 5 years old with approx 45,000 miles on them. The tires have held up well, and are actually still in good shape, but there are signs of some micro-cracking due to oxidation, but not enough to have to replace them right away, but I do plan to replace them within the next 1-2 months. I'm currently looking at buying new Toyo Open Country R/Ts, but I'm also looking at Toyo Open Country A/T III's which just came out in March 2020 as an option. I use my Jeep for daily driving (alternating with my 2020 JLU Willy's), as well as light - moderate off roading in dry conditions. I live in the Seattle area, so I'm in need of a set of tires that can handle all weather conditions, and the new Open Country A/T IIIs have the 3 peak snow symbol, in addition to the M+S designation, so that is very tempting, plus they are cheaper than the Open Country R/Ts. Main disadvantage of the Open Country A/T III is that they are a new release, so there is really no history yet of user reviews. My 2013 JK is on a 3.5" AEV Dual Sport Lift and 3.73 gear ratio, and actually handles fairly well on the highway with my current tires.

Does anyone have any opinions or thoughts on tires they have or like...I'm open minded too, for going with other brands. I'm looking at durability, traction, and ability to handle various weather conditions, and I'm willing to spend more if it means getting a better tire. Thanks!

Edit: My jeep axles are currently stock, and my current tires, and ones I'm looking at, are Load E...should I be looking at a lighter load C instead of E? I have not really noticed any problems with my Load E, but just wanted to get thoughts. I'll most likely re-gear to 4.88 in the future, but so far 3.73 has not been a major issue, despite on and off road usage.

The falken wildpeak at3w's are also an awesome tire.

I have the Toyo Open Country AT3's and absolutely love them. Great quiet ride and best of all they are "C" rated for when I am wheeling.
When did you get them?
I was going to go with the AT3s to replace the Toyo Open Country MTs I had, but there was a 60-day lead time and I didn't want to wait. I purchased the BFG TA KO2 and I really like them.

Reactions: mrjp
I was able to find my set last June on Ebay. Everyplace else there was a 3+ week wait. I could have saved $200 by waiting 3 weeks but we were heading to Colorado and I needed them before that trip.

KO2’s are great but this time I am trying out the Mickey Thompson Boss ATs. They are triple peak rated and have pretty big tread voids and come with a 50k mile tread warranty.

I love the KO2s overall but they didn’t do so hot at my cabin in DEEPER mud, slush or snow. They would cake and become slicks. I didn’t want a mud terrain because I had those last and the wife did not like feeling the lugs and the winter performance also lacked. So I thought the Boss AT would be a happy comprise. Super smooth so far but haven’t gotten a ton of miles on them. Did great in the rain. We will see how they wear long term.

5F4839F8-6FCE-4849-8A7A-6FF62C72224B.jpeg

Reactions: Lxxtsy and mrjp
Those Boss AT's look very nice. Where did you get them and how much did you pay?
Also, where does everyone suggest to get new wheels. I want to replace the stock ones.

Those Boss AT's look very nice. Where did you get them and how much did you pay?
Also, where does everyone suggest to get new wheels. I want to replace the stock ones.
I have 37x12.50r17 and paid 391 a tire. Best price I could find in that size at the time too. A local off-road shop is where I had got them and luckily they had them back ordered for a few weeks already before I put my name on them. I only had to wait 4 days.

I have had good luck with local off-road shops but there are also companies like Trailbilt off-road. They sell tire and wheel packages, they do it and don’t charge you the mounting and balancing fees. So if you catch them with a sale and free shipping, might not be too bad.

Either way I would do your own research about what kind of wheel you want. I would consider weight too. There are some newer non beadlock technology that claim to have like 33% or more bead holding strength at low psi, pretty cool.

I have 37x12.50r17 and paid 391 a tire. Best price I could find in that size at the time too. A local off-road shop is where I had got them and luckily they had them back ordered for a few weeks already before I put my name on them. I only had to wait 4 days.

I have had good luck with local off-road shops but there are also companies like Trailbilt off-road. They sell tire and wheel packages, they do it and don’t charge you the mounting and balancing fees. So if you catch them with a sale and free shipping, might not be too bad.

Either way I would do your own research about what kind of wheel you want. I would consider weight too. There are some newer non beadlock technology that claim to have like 33% or more bead holding strength at low psi, pretty cool.

Yeah I've been eyeballing those Icon non-beadlock beadlocks too ;)