Which Android OBD2 scan app?

If you just want to scan multiple vehicles and not be brand specific, I'm a Blue Driver fan. If you want to be able to change things on a JK, then JScan is the way to go.

I had Torque before Jscan. I like Jscan alot more and it works perfectly with my Android phone and Android head unit.

Reactions: BigAL07
Have you tried the Blue Driver as a Jscan interface? I don't see it listed on their adapters to use or avoid:
The Blue Driver dongle does not work with JScan. They serve different purposes, so that's to be expected. Blue Driver is wholly a scanner and will work with ANY ODB-II equipped vehicle. JScan is a programmer and works only with a small subset of vehicles.

I have used JScan both on my iPhone and on the Android tablets I have mounted in the Jeeps. Works a charm with both.

Last edited:
The Blue Driver dongle does not work with JScan. They serve different purposes, so that's to be expected. Blue Driver is wholly a scanner. JScan is a programmer.

I have used JScan both on my iPhone and on the Android tablets I have mounted in the Jeeps. Works a charm with both.
Thanks. That is a vote for the OBDII MX+ then... It can be used with various free apps (I use OBDLink) or in conjunction with Jscan.

For the OP - Jscan is software, you need to acquire a hardware interface to the OBD port on your vehicle to actually use it for anything... You may already know this but I don't want to assume.

I bought a cheap blue dongle off aliexpress. And just plugged it into my sons car last night. I was impressed for $5. Lol.

But I would like to get the Veapeak unit and Jscan for my 2012 JKU.

I have read some of the Jscan website. But what can it do that a simple scanner only can't?

I have never used a programmer. And this is probably a simple function. But my mechanic has this function on his professional scanner. That shows a list of possible causes for a given code. And the likelihood of each possibles cause. Its like a graph with a percentage line for each possible cause. Kind of giving you an idea of what most likely is causing that code. I know this is a stab in the dark. And that further diagnostic is needed to narrow down your soecific problem. But it seems like a cool function. I spent alot if time in the past narrowing things diwn with google searches. But that seems hit or miss.

Once I have the codes I tend to get my best advice from the forums.

But what can it do that a simple scanner only can't?
It gives you the ability to actually enable/disable module functions. So, within limits, you can read/write vs. just read and clear.

For example, I recently purchased a backup camera and was able to turn on the functionality within the factory head unit vs. either taking it to the dealer or purchasing a programmer specific to this task. This one item alone more than paid for the subscription price...

Haven't done this one yet, but I also plan to turn on the DRL function. Again, a simple task within JScan.

Reactions: Moab
It gives you the ability to actually enable/disable module functions. So, within limits, you can read/write vs. just read and clear.

For example, I recently purchased a backup camera and was able to turn on the functionality within the factory head unit vs. either taking it to the dealer or purchasing a programmer specific to this task. This one item alone more than paid for the subscription price...

Haven't done this one yet, but I also plan to turn on the DRL function. Again, a simple task within JScan.
Jscan is a subscription service? I thought it was an app you could buy outright.

Jscan is a subscription service? I thought it was an app you could buy outright.
Sorry, bad choice of words. The app is free, it is a one time purchase to assign to your VIN. I just meant that I had to pay for it and it was much less than the other options to accomplish that one item.

Reactions: Danarch and BigAL07
Not sure if JScan works on android but a lot of us are happy with JScan, it is a great app.
I have Jscan on Android. The biggest drawback is that you have to register, pay to get the most out of it. You are also limited, IIRC, to two vin numbers.