Where are people mounting their forward cameras?

WestCoastDan

JK Enthusiast
The title pretty much sums it up. I'm looking at mounting options for a forward camera that others have already proven to be effective or not worth the effort.
I have no interest in doing it multiple times, so I'm hoping others can chime in on what worked and what didn't.
These are the spots I'm considering.
1659200752295.png

I like the idea of putting it behind the grill insert, but mounting it there will be more involved.

If you have a forward camera setup that works well, can you please post a pic of your chosen mounting location and a shot of the view that it provides?
I realize that my camera may provide a different field of view, but I'm wanting some confidence about the location before I start hacking things up.
No need to install it in a location that is either too low or too high, etc.

Reactions: mrjp and Danarch
I have a dash cam connected to my Android head unit. It's mounted to the windshield and records 10 minute intervals. I keep a few SD cards if I'm going on a trail ride so that I can stitch together the interesting pieces if I want later on. Mounted high on top of the windshield so it has a good view of everything. But again, it's a dash cam not really a trail cam.

“Dual-purpose” (trail & dash cam applications) would be the best answer.
On the trail I suspect a lower mounting height would be more beneficial, but that may not work very well for a “what happened during traffic” situation (dash cam).
I guess I’m hoping to strike a balance if possible.
Camera would be triggered by a switch, with recording options handled by the android head unit.

Reactions: mrjp and JeepJeezy
I have a dash cam connected to my Android head unit. It's mounted to the windshield and records 10 minute intervals. I keep a few SD cards if I'm going on a trail ride so that I can stitch together the interesting pieces if I want later on. Mounted high on top of the windshield so it has a good view of everything. But again, it's a dash cam not really a trail cam.
I have a 4k dash cam I use for trail rides and traffic jams. Works amazing for what i want it to do. I thought about a front mounted camera but I'm not rock crawling or need 1 to see my departure angles.

Reactions: JerryD and mrjp
The title pretty much sums it up. I'm looking at mounting options for a forward camera that others have already proven to be effective or not worth the effort.
I have no interest in doing it multiple times, so I'm hoping others can chime in on what worked and what didn't.
These are the spots I'm considering.
View attachment 121764

I like the idea of putting it behind the grill insert, but mounting it there will be more involved.

If you have a forward camera setup that works well, can you please post a pic of your chosen mounting location and a shot of the view that it provides?
I realize that my camera may provide a different field of view, but I'm wanting some confidence about the location before I start hacking things up.
No need to install it in a location that is either too low or too high, etc.
I haven't installed mine yet but have it planned out after doing a bunch research .
Installing in top position would be best . Bottom location will get soaked and lens dirty after
any large puddle or larger water obstacle .
My front bumper is always pretty dirty after a day of wheeling .
The middle location will be blocked by a winch . I'm assuming your eventually going to get a winch.
It really only leaves top location for a fromt cam.
My front cam will be for wheeling . As many times climbing out of massive washout or super steep obstacle I'm looking at the sky. No joke . So having camera pointed down a bit will help
see the trail when crawling out or into obstacle .

Going with GOPRO inside up on dash to record trails . You could use for traffic cam as well. Personallly don't see need for traffic cam . But to each their own . So basically 2 diff cams . One for recording and another for live action to clearly see trails when entering , exiting or going over obstacles .

Last edited: