What transmission fluid should I use for my 6-speed in cold weather?

High Mt. Jk 63

Hey guys, wondering what lube would shift good in cold weather for my 6 speed...I changed it this summer with penszoil sycromesh...It works good when it's warm outside but not so much in the cold weather, until it warms up...

Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax, and Amsoil Synchromesh are all good choices for the NSG370 (at least the LJ version, though I don't think anything has changed in the JK years).

That said, you just described every manual transmission in existence. Manual transmissions don't typically have pumps and operate by "splash lubrication". As a result, they don't warm up fast (and only really warm up by driving) and are generally tight and clunky until sufficiently warm. If you've just change the fluid, there's no need to change it again.

Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax, and Amsoil Synchromesh are all good choices for the NSG370 (at least the LJ version, though I don't think anything has changed in the JK years).

That said, you just described every manual transmission in existence. Manual transmissions don't typically have pumps and operate by "splash lubrication". As a result, they don't warm up fast (and only really warm up by driving) and are generally tight and clunky until sufficiently warm. If you've just change the fluid, there's no need to change it again.

I use the Penzoil in my LJR and JKUR. Same tranny in each.

Reactions: High Mt. Jk 63