What to look for in a JK?

Moab

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think I'm going to replace my TJ with a JK. Is there a thread on here that breaks down issues by year? Or lists years to look for or avoid?

Not any Threads that break down issues specifically, the best thing to do is just spend some time reading through the General Section until some of the other Members reply.

I've been reading pros and cons. Opinion?

The first few years of the 3.6's the engines had issues, not sure what years they got that worked out at the Factory.

If your Mechanically inclined then buy a high mile one and drop a better engine in it and make the electronics simple.

Not really your question, but I just picked up a TJ since it is easier to work on. First day I realized there was no ABS system brought a smile to my face alone. Don’t get me wrong, my JK is great and I enjoy it, but I know its a lot more complicated to work on.

Last edited:
I've been reading pros and cons. Opinion?
Early 12 and 13 3.6 mechanical issues are mostly just plastic oil cooler issues...and that's an issue with all of them. Just assume you're going to be installing a Dorman aluminum cooler if you get a 3.6...and that's just an excuse to change the plugs and coils since the intake has to come out. That's about all I've had to do with our '12. That and a clutch. 160k miles or so. Can't get JScan to take the 35 inch tire size so the speedo has been wrong and the mileage is suggestive at best.

-Mac