What do I need to make my exhaust sound good?

KSwanson

Hey guys 😎
What do I need to do to make my Jeep sound good? I just want the deepest sound I can get, but there are so many different mufflers to choose from I don’t even know where to start. As far as the sound level, I’m not too worried about it.

Thanks in advance!

You can check out THIS in the How_To section of the forum. It's an install How-To, but includes sound clips taken of the same Jeep, same day, same camera, same distance, with stock, muffler delete, and Flowmaster Outlaw system. But that's just one exhaust system, and one persons "sounds great" is anothers "why would you do that?". So on YouBoob we can find this compendium of sound clips.

Watch that and see which ones you like. Most of them are essentially the same when it comes down to installing them.

You can check out THIS in the How_To section of the forum. It's an install How-To, but includes sound clips taken of the same Jeep, same day, same camera, same distance, with stock, muffler delete, and Flowmaster Outlaw system. But that's just one exhaust system, and one persons "sounds great" is anothers "why would you do that?". So on YouBoob we can find this compendium of sound clips.

Watch that and see which ones you like. Most of them are essentially the same when it comes down to installing them.
Thank you! ☺️

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Hey guys 😎
What do I need to do to make my Jeep sound good? I just want the deepest sound I can get, but there are so many different mufflers to choose from I don’t even know where to start. As far as the sound level, I’m not too worried about it.

Thanks in advance!
It's a 6-cylinder engine. Although I understand "sounding good" is a relative term and open to interpretation, I'm the guy who doesn't believe 4 and 6-cylinder engines should ever be allowed in "muscle cars" (Chargers, Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs), yet here we are.

In my opinion, you want a nice sounding Jeep? Go get a 392 or do the swap to an 8-cylinder.

It's a 6-cylinder engine. Although I understand "sounding good" is a relative term and open to interpretation, I'm the guy who doesn't believe 4 and 6-cylinder engines should ever be allowed in "muscle cars" (Chargers, Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs), yet here we are.

In my opinion, you want a nice sounding Jeep? Go get a 392 or do the swap to an 8-cylinder.

I'm not entirely sure you can make these engines sound good. They just aren't a good sounding engine from the get go IMHO ;)
I'm not entirely sure you can make these engines sound good. They just aren't a good sounding engine from the get go IMHO ;)
So what you’re saying is I could never get it to sound like my HD Chevy truck… haha jk. I was hoping there was a way to make it sound more aggressive, give it some more air flow to help a little with the MPG’s… it’s not a huge thing I’m too worried about. Just something to contemplate lol!

My Magnaflow with the 3.8 is Bitching loud if you do not gear up to soon. But it is nothing like my Chevy 1996 5sp, 5.7 Vortec Muscle Truck.
P1010041.JPG

So what you’re saying is I could never get it to sound like my HD Chevy truck… haha jk. I was hoping there was a way to make it sound more aggressive, give it some more air flow to help a little with the MPG’s… it’s not a huge thing I’m too worried about. Just something to contemplate lol!

Haha, I still can't get mine to sound like my Boss 302 Mustang :LOL:

I have tried the American thunder system. I only lasted about a month with it. Can’t believe manufacturers charge these ridiculous prices for wrangler exhaust systems and people actually pay it. I tried to tell myself this sounds badass to convince myself that I didn’t screw the pooch. But I did. In my opinion you either get a $700 drone or a $150 drone. It’s still a drone. Jeeps are jeeps. Not gonna get a throaty V-8 sound no matter how much money u throw at it. Gotta ask yourself what u wanna hear your engine or your SKYNARD. For me I’ll take the SKYNARD

Reactions: SteveF and Speartip
I personally would like a high clearance quiet cat back. With that engine, the quieter the better imo.
Not difficult at all. Cut your exhaust off right behind the factory resonator. Add the low-profile muffler of your choice. If it's still too loud, add another one downstream. There's plenty of room, especially on the JKU. You can probably fit a third, if you try. Run pipe back over the axle and stop there.

Reactions: Speartip
Not difficult at all. Cut your exhaust off right behind the factory resonator. Add the low-profile muffler of your choice. If it's still too loud, add another one downstream. There's plenty of room, especially on the JKU. You can probably fit a third, if you try. Run pipe back over the axle and stop there.
You know, that isn’t a bad idea at all!

I had the Flowmaster Outlaw on my JKU, it was on the jeep when I bought it. It was WAY to loud inside the jeep. The droning was so bad you couldn't hear yourself think, couldn't hear the radio unless you had it blasting. I removed it and installed a performance muffler from Rock Auto. It has some sound but not too overwhelming.

Hey guys 😎

Thanks in advance!
Jake from JK Gear and Gatgets did an inline Magnaflow .
Sounds pretty good .
Heres the video