Water leak on passenger side floor pan

GusGus

Supporting Member
2015 JKU. After car wash or heavy rain, have noticed water leak on floor mat on passenger side. Last trip to car was yesterday, sudsy water dripped from behind glove box, not from firewall area as all carpeting is dry. It sounded as if the water was in the HVAC system as it was "gurgling" before it dripped from the bottom of what I assume is the blower motor assy. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Hard top. I think I've located it. I believe it to be coming in through the fresh air intake. The cowl drains may be plugged as the leak drips directly from the heater blower motor.

Reactions: alvin808 and Chris
The video was helpful as i disassembled the cowl assy, but both sides were clear of debris. Just went through car wash again today and sure as hell, there was water in the the fresh air intake box where the cabin air filter sits. Where can I find a schematic for the duct work?

I have only 18,500 miles on my 2017 Wrangler and have also noticed water on the drivers side floorboard, but not sure if it’s from the car wash, rain, or A/C. I’m going to dry it out first, then use the A/C first to see if it’s that. If not, then I’ll try the car wash. We don’t have any rain for several days, I’d like to get it figured out before it rains. It really ticks me off that I already have this problem.

Reactions: Threepointsix
I have only 18,500 miles on my 2017 Wrangler and have also noticed water on the drivers side floorboard, but not sure if it’s from the car wash, rain, or A/C. I’m going to dry it out first, then use the A/C first to see if it’s that. If not, then I’ll try the car wash. We don’t have any rain for several days, I’d like to get it figured out before it rains. It really ticks me off that I already have this problem.

Doubt if it's the A/C it's on the Passengers side. Do you have a top with the removable drivers and passengers panels?

Yes I do. I’ve taken them off a couple of times so far, but I’m pretty sure they seated well when I reinstalled them.

Reading so many posts about leaky JK’s has me wondering if a new soft top would be better than the hard freedom top, and if I’m sitting on a future headache I already know I don’t want to deal with.

Really seems like it’s hit or miss in all areas with the JK gen, more than the TJ.

Reactions: Jackmove
UPDATE: I dried the carpet out on the drivers side and wiped the floor mat dry, then I let it sit in the sun with windows down for a few hours. I drove to the gym and to Lowe’s without the A/C on. The weather is also great with no rain in the forecast. I also didn’t run it through the car wash. So I thought I’d check the floor board a few minutes ago and I’ll be dog gone, the carpet was wet. Can condensation be coming from somewhere that would cause this? There are no big temperature changes here in Louisiana that might cause it. I’m lost for a solution.

UPDATE: I dried the carpet out on the drivers side and wiped the floor mat dry, then I let it sit in the sun with windows down for a few hours. I drove to the gym and to Lowe’s without the A/C on. The weather is also great with no rain in the forecast. I also didn’t run it through the car wash. So I thought I’d check the floor board a few minutes ago and I’ll be dog gone, the carpet was wet. Can condensation be coming from somewhere that would cause this? There are no big temperature changes here in Louisiana that might cause it. I’m lost for a solution.

Check the drain for the AC where it drains outside, could be plugged and then filling the HVAC box inside the Jeep.

Reactions: mrjp
If this is the drain, which I believe it is, it’s clear of any blockage.

B7F19017-860D-4598-B6A2-37B5C676888F.jpeg

I can’t tell, the carpet is just damp. There’s no color or smell to it. I think it’s water, but where from? I think I’ll pull my carpet back, drive it again and see if I can see where it’s coming from. Thanks for your Interest.

I am currently dealing with this same annoyance. I have noticed that it can take days and days for the carpet mat to dry out, especially because there is a thick section of some cotton type material attached underneath the carpet.

any update on your situation?

Reactions: mrjp
If a jeep does not leak from somewhere, it's not Jeep 😁
I'm learning this lesson now :ROFLMAO: Had a lot of water on the drivers side. Dealer replaced the door seal. Of course, while they were checking for leaks...they left about a quart of water on the drivers side. "Dry out take 2" in progress now.

I'm learning this lesson now :ROFLMAO: Had a lot of water on the drivers side. Dealer replaced the door seal. Of course, while they were checking for leaks...they left about a quart of water on the drivers side. "Dry out take 2" in progress now.
I still get a little water from time to time. Gave up and bought Bedtred and ditched the carpet.

Reactions: mrjp and Lxxtsy